Analog Sound Not Working After Video Card Installation

sovereign2142

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Hey guys,
I feel like I've been searching forever to no avail for an answer to this, but maybe you can help me. I recently purchased an AMD Radeon HD 6870 (and a new power supply) to install in my 4 year old HP Pavilion Elite (m9340f). Everything went smoothly except now I have no sound either from the front or real analog ports of my PC.

mwoDG.png

As you can see the speakers are listed as "not plugged in" (however levels are showing in the HDMI output) and nothing I've tried has seemed to correct that. So far I've:
- made sure the speakers were working and properly plugged in
- tried to enable the speakers from the sound window and make them the default device
- set onboard audio to enable in the BIOS
- deleted my audio drivers
- updated my audio drivers
- flashed my BIOS and reset onboard audio to enable
- maybe done a half dozen other unhelpful things I can't remember

After all that I still have no sound, and I'm getting kind of desperate. This seems like a fairly popular problem on tech forums without a solution. Can anything be done to fix this?

You need to disable the onboard HD audio in the BIOS.
I have three sound cards basically, one which is onboard, one that is a creative audgy add in and one is basically the Radeon HDMI thing which comes with the card.
I have all of them disabled and have just my Audigy one showing up in the Sound Properties.
But this happened only after I disable the HD Audio onboard in the BIOS.

sovereign2142

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Unfortunately my BIOS only has an onboard audio option, not an HD audio toggle. Toggling onboard audio to off only results in ony the AMD HDMI output option displayed in the sound properties.

sovereign2142

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

No right now I'm using a dvi adapter to connect the card to my vga monitor.

sovereign2142

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

No sorry I didn't have anything plugged into it besides the dvi adapter.

I was able to get the sound back somehow but it was barely audible and sounded like it was coming out of a tin can so I bought a cheap sound card. Problem solved! Unfortunately not the way I wanted to solve it but I was at a loss to find a proper solution. Thanks for your help though!