Analyst: Surface 'Truck' Can't Compete With iPad 'Sports Car'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashesofempires04

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]Surely I don't know... I've just been using Windows since 1990 So I really have no idea what Windows is all about... Pfu! 99% of the users are administering Sisco routers and shit... at home and in the office ...[/citation]

Windows 7 boots up for most people pretty fast. If you have problems using Windows, perhaps you should examine how you use your PC. That having been said, most analyst groups are essentially gypsy fortune tellers, and their predictions are rarely correct.

In my case, I want a Surface for schoolwork, and because as an entertainment device it easily beats out an iPad. The iPad may have a vast array of dirt cheap games, but Win8 has Steam. I'd rather play one of my many AAA steam titles, than an iOS game any day of the week.

Perhaps the Surface is a way to showcase to the OEMs how its meant to be done. The price tag seems ridiculous and Microsoft should know that they need to price it lower to compete. So maybe it's not even a finished product at all.

Just a wild, extreme speculation.

G

Actually, I think the article heading hits the nail on the head.

Crapple fans usually buy their devices so that they can be hip and flashy and make lots of noise.
Windows users by comparison typically choose their devices for practicality and productivity.

Sounds accurate to me.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]Touch screens are nothing new! They have existed for a long time.[/citation]
Obviously.

The first mouse was developed in the early 60's. The first touch screens in the early 70's. That's about a decade apart. Why are you automatically assuming that I am an idiot who doesn't know what he is talking about?

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I would venture that this analyst is on drugs.

1. Last time I checked, Chevy Suburban's were out-selling any Tesla by a ratio of about a billion to 1.

1a. On a related note, trucks, SUVs, and CUVs are big sellers for automakers and bring in huge profit margins.

2. Why would it matter if MS pissed-off Dell, HP, et al? Where are they going to go? Apple? HA! Apple makes it's own hardware/software and won't be changing that anytime soon.

3. If the product is good, people will pay for it. And in Apple's case, people will pay for it no matter how crappy it is.

4. If the user experience on Surface is as good as MS claims, and it has the benefit of having a fully-functional desktop OS on a machine capable of handling tasks that require seriously more computational power than surfing the web or listening to music, then all the more better.

5. I can see this device being used by someone like my mother...no space for a full-on PC (and no need for one), she is unfamiliar with PCs and is clumsy with a mouse, which makes the touch-screen GUI all the more appealing, and with it's small size and add-on keyboard, it makes it easy to carry from place to place. The built-in cameras and full OS means that she can surf the web, make video chat calls, do email, etc, all with a device small enough to fit into her purse.

I am eager to see how this all works out- one OS across desktop, phone, tablet (plus integration with XBOX)!

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Dan_H[/nom]Maybe the Surface is a truck to the iPad sports car...but last I checked sports cars don't sell in anywhere near the numbers of trucks or SUVs. Besides, isn't it a little premature to be comparing a fully fledged product in its 3rd generation to a early prototype of a product that wont be out for 6 months?[/citation]

This is exactly right. The simile used is terrible, they really didn't think it out at all. Teslas are cool *looking* but other than that they suck ass.

The writing is like an Apple TV commercial, where all you see is a hipster jiving on some sort of gadget, or maybe a whizbang laptop floating in space, but by the end of the spot you don't know what's even going on. Consumers want a commercial that tells a story about how a product can fit into their life in specific ways.

Yes, i just got meta.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
So lets take a look at this analogy. For the vast majority of people in the world, a 2 seat electric sports car is woefully inadequate for day-to-day life. Sure its fine for rich people that car afford multiple vehicles, but for most of us we need a little more practicality. So this means that Surface should outsell the iPad badly.

Also, most people really just want something in between - a sedan. Could this be Android? Its not as capable as the Surface (the SUV/truck), but it's cheaper, faster and can still do the majority of things people want. The iPad (sports car) is expensive and impractical but what it can do it does very well. The Surface can do everything well but is expensive and inefficient.

sactownbwoy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
The Samsung Series 7 Slate is out now and works great. It is hands down better for me than the iPad and Galaxy Tab I used to own. Running the full office on it is great. What's also nice is that the Samsung Slate has a Wacom digitizer built into the screen. It comes with a stylus that is the size of a pen and writes like a pen.

These so called analysts are stupid. They don't even know what's out on the market now. I wish Samsung would advertise the Slate more. I only knew about it because I walked into a Microsoft store in San Diego. Bought it that day. I even have the release preview of Win8 on it, runs great.

If none of you have seen or heard of The Samsung Series Slate, I suggest you check it out.

AricB

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
The surface wont sell well because it's not a toy, it's intended to be a legitimate device. But apple understands that the ipad is nothing more than a toy, that nobody can get serious work accomplished on one, and that people bought it just to say they have it. MS hasnt quite grasped the fact that apple has legions of sheep that will buy any garbage they put out, until they do, devices like the surface will miss the mark just like the blackberry playbook did.

Your comments are arrogant and self-absorbed.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I see a hell of lot more trucks and SUV's on the road than sports cars. If this analogy is true then the Surface will be a massive success.

There is definite truth in the fact that the i5 Surface is meant as a work tool that can also be used for entertainment, rather than being a direct iPad competitor, which is primarily an entertainment device. Their ARM model is more like an iPad, but with a bit more productive functionality.

I also see their i5 Surface as more of a touch screen Ultrabook.

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]You must be new here, welcome to Tom's Hardware.Here we have people who know what they are talking about, sadly you will NOT be joining their ranks.Mac's are not immune to hanging and viruses you dork, my iMac freezes when I load a site with too many GIF's.Oh, did you happen to miss the entire Flashback pandemic that affected over 500,000 Mac's?[/citation]

You're assuming he has a comparison with OS X in mind... what if he's thinking of Linux?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]Surely I don't know... I've just been using Windows since 1990 So I really have no idea what Windows is all about... Pfu! 99% of the users are administering Sisco routers and shit... at home and in the office ...[/citation]

Doesn't mean a thing buddy, using and understanding are two very different things.
I'm sure I have more experience than you, and I'm 19.

Please, bring up some credible arguments in the future.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]Lucky you!On the same laptop Ubutu using Wubi (which means slow) loads in seconds, Windows 7 takes several minutes. Sometimes it cannot even wake the screen. Wow! And it become more and more corrupted each month. I guess I need to clean reinstall it after only 1.5 years.Windows, dude, is a giant with clay legs. It was, it is and it will always be![/citation]
My 6 year old HP nc8430 laptop (T7200 CPU) loads Windows 7 in almost the same amount of time it loads up Ubuntu 12.04 (I dual boot them) so I think you are doing something wrong there.

Steelwing

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
The Surface is not a big truck. It's a series of tubes.

Oh wait, no. That's the Internet according to Ted Stevens.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]xenol[/nom]A truck gets more use in utility than a sports car does.[/citation]

So does a sturdy good woman with a chubby figure, average face but a good heart.

But the pretty, skinny dumb blonde (or brunette...) who can not boil water without instructions, will get the attention and is certainly a lot more fun in a number of ways.

And as for Utility; most folks with 4x4 Trucks/SUVs have never been 'off roading' with their oh so capable (or not) rides with the exception of parking on the lawn once in a while.

On the other hand, mine has seen plenty of 'action' :)

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Given that trucks are a highly popular vehicle this may not be the analogy these "anal"ysts are looking for. I think that this is a pretty slick looking tablet and I'd be open to buying one.

Status
Not open for further replies.