News Anbernic RG503 Gaming Handheld Available To Buy

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
You know I get that emulation itself is not illegal but the way it's used, it's promoting illegal uses....

Nintendo already didn't like the sound of Steam Deck which is able to play their games.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
If that's actually how they sell this device, that's a quick way to get slapped with a C&D.

Although it's inevitable that it's going to get C&D, only PlayStation and PSP seem to be of a threat to Sony. Sega is quite lenient with emulation for a long time as far as I recall.

But then this appears to be one the best way to play PSP games with the psp servers discontinued. But again..the C&D is inevitable.

Although it's inevitable that it's going to get C&D, only PlayStation and PSP seem to be of a threat to Sony. Sega is quite lenient with emulation for a long time as far as I recall.

But then this appears to be one the best way to play PSP games with the psp servers discontinued. But again..the C&D is inevitable.
As long as they're not shipping with any copyrighted software, Sony can send all the C&D's they want and the company can ignore them because they're not doing anything illegal. And no, advertising you can run emulators isn't illegal either, otherwise all of those modern retro gaming consoles that take in physical cartridges would've been taken down. Most of them certainly aren't running the actual hardware or an FPGA mimicking it.

Sony lost the legal battle against emulation with Bleem 20 some years ago. Nintendo doesn't even go after emulator developers, they just go after websites that host ROMs because that's the only legal footing they have.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyrusfox

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
As long as they're not shipping with any copyrighted software, Sony can send all the C&D's they want and the company can ignore them because they're not doing anything illegal. And no, advertising you can run emulators isn't illegal either, otherwise all of those modern retro gaming consoles that take in physical cartridges would've been taken down. Most of them certainly aren't running the actual hardware or an FPGA mimicking it.

Sony lost the legal battle against emulation with Bleem 20 some years ago. Nintendo doesn't even go after emulator developers, they just go after websites that host ROMs because that's the only legal footing they have.

True. And if I remember, Nintendo also sort of applauded dolphin working out for wii as they didn't bother with them that much.

I guess in the end, it all depends on which of these handhelds is the best alternative of Steam Deck