And Phenom II hit's 6.5

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

i somewhat agree but at the same time can an intel chip take liquid helium and stay 3 degrees above absolute zero? does not seem so... either way its an interesting demo.

It all depends. As a gamer, most of i7's advantages over any other cpu made is not needed, but I respect it, and those who have use for what I7 brings. I wouldnt exactly call having killer rar numbers hype using i7, or any other encoding numbers, which are pretty useless if youre using a gpgpu solution at lower quality, but then again, gpgpus are disrespected too for some reason. Its always something, poor quality, who needs this, who uses this, etc etc. Fact is, its never been done before. First the 6.5, second the 3DMark numbers (which I hate bungholios as much as the next guy does) and lastly, using LHe, and the temps reached, so it does deserve some merit, a lil, not much to me, but alot to others, so I respect it

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
exactly. i respect the project, what it aimed for and what it accomplished as far as temperature and clocks speed. what i do NOT respect is guys coming in here bashing it for reasons other than the purposes of the experiment. the purpose was to show cooling + get a very high 3d mark score which they accomplished. whats funny is if this was done with an intel chip it would be all congradulations and amazement but since it is done with a processor with AMD in front of it, it it shunned and labeled as useless and pointless. shame on you fellas. shame.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Oh come on who remembers the AMD dx4/100 or a Pentium 100 That made all the difference back then...

100Mhz made windows 3.11 fly then...

And what really do we do now that was any different back then appart from the internet..

played games yep
wrote letters, yep

poxy graphics - yep

i know the total experience is now a lot better but we are still fundamentaly doing the same thing and we didnt have to put any codes in either :)

I would say that an Intel chip probably could take liquid helium, if anyone would bother. The problem is in obtaining the liquid helium. I don't think it's actually been tried.

For reference:

Cost of LN2: <$1 per liter (<$0.10 per liter in sufficient quantities).
Cost of LHe: $10 per liter (<$3.00 per liter in sufficient quantities). It is also much harder to obtain.

In most cases, even extreme overclockers won't pay >10x the price for liquid helium when liquid nitrogen is easily available, and allows for quite high overclocks. There really isn't a good reason to.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

im pretty sure Intel would have no problem acquiring any of the above materials for an overclock demo lol

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
It all depends. As a gamer, most of i7's advantages over any other cpu made is not needed, but I respect it, and those who have use for what I7 brings. I wouldnt exactly call having killer rar numbers hype using i7, or any other encoding numbers, which are pretty useless if youre using a gpgpu solution at lower quality, but then again, gpgpus are disrespected too for some reason. Its always something, poor quality, who needs this, who uses this, etc etc. Fact is, its never been done before. First the 6.5, second the 3DMark numbers (which I hate bungholios as much as the next guy does) and lastly, using LHe, and the temps reached, so it does deserve some merit, a lil, not much to me, but alot to others, so I respect it

Well JDJ what configuration are you running ?, If AMD phenom 2 is as good as you say
then you sould be running one rite ? or are you not willing to put your money where
your mouth is.

Intel wouldn't have any trouble, true, but that doesn't mean that they have tried.

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Intel has never been able to boot a chip at that low of a temp. Doesn't mean the new I7's can't but most OC's accept the fact that below -120 the coldbug set's in and it is pointless to try and get any lower. That was why they were so excited when it (the AMD Chip) actually booted up at temperatures in this extreme of a range. I think AMD has been doing some work in this area because Liquid Helium is expensive and I don't think they would of done this unless they already knew what the outcome was. I think this was a stunt to start telling people that AMD is coming back. I hope so because AMD is on the ropes.

Me too, and thats my main concern/zeal/happiness about P2. While we have some people bound and determined to sink P2, they dont understand the importance of it, in regards to AMD, and cpus as a whole.

Im pretty sure youre right about Intel and their cold bug, its at low low temps it dpesnt boot, but I too would like to see em try it, and see what happens. Dr.Who on XS is always talking friendly competition, I think itd be cool to have Intel try it. Im thinking theyd have troubles, but maybe not, and if not, how low could they go?

I would definitely be curious to see it. It is completely irrelevant to most people's usage, but I'm still interested just to know what is within the realm of possibility.

Id never own a drag racer, tho sometimes theyre fun to watch, and no, getting 1/4 mpg on very costly fuel , it too isnt practical, so you wont see people driving by with them heheh. Yea, itd be nice to see it happen on Intel too, or any cpu. I remember when they pitched that high Ghz for IBM, but it turned out to be only a transistor, and not a whole cpu, but still grabbed my attention

45 litres of pure alcohol to run a top fuel rail at idle and rev it a few times for the crowd ... bout 2 minutes worth of running.

Thats like putting 4 X 2900XT's in a Prescott powered rig ... lol.

Sorry ... the one I borrowed for the opening of a new Automotive Trg Centre ran on Alcohol ... it drew the crowds ...

Not really interested in the fuel thing ... just pointing out how much juice they use.

Here it is.

http://www.wadragracing.com/joomla2/content/view/130/

Sorry if I blew a technicality there.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

That plus a puny Ni-Cd battery...

I use the term "borrowed" lightly.

He is a mate.

I might put a Phenom II sticker on the side of the car ... when he isn't looking.

Now that they rev hard enough to merit a sticker.

He might have to move up to the top category to warrant an i7 sticker.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006

If does not matter what its with unsing LN2 the Phenom II kicked the Core I7's ass fair and square fan boys aside it looks like Intel may again steal the performance crown when then next 3 Processors are released later

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Can anyone provide a better marketing slide detailing AMD's official claim of overclockability?

The only one I found at the moment is this:
image.php

Which, according to the XS member who posted this,

With all these innovations in place, AMD is touting a 20% performance boost. I guess this is not the exciting part for enthusiasts but the massive overclocking headroom of Phenom II where one can go above 4GHz on just air cooling and 6.3GHz on LN2 as demonstrated in this webcast.

So it was misleading to say the least.

TRENDING THREADS