Android Accounts for 75% of Smartphone Shipments in Q3

Status
Not open for further replies.

catbus1

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Next headline: Android based phone owners account for 70% of dissatisfied smartphone users.

Friends don't let friend Android.

dgingeri

Distinguished
So, with 60% of the smartphones sold by the providers (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc) being iPhones, and 75% of the total smartphone shipments being Android, obviously, Android phones are the preferred phones of the free, while iPhones are the preferred phones of the herd.

theclash150

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
[citation][nom]catbus1[/nom]Next headline: Android based phone owners account for 70% of dissatisfied smartphone users.Friends don't let friend Android.[/citation]

I wasn't 100% satisfied with my Galaxy SIII with the stock TouchWiz but I was able to flash CyanogenMod on it and get it the way I want it. That's the beauty of Android, it can really be YOUR phone. As a former iPhone 4 owner, I cannot express how awesome the flexibility of Android is.

anhxeom

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
"In FACE, IDC reports that the operating system shipped with three quarters of the smartphones sold in the last quarter. "

Who's face?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]iPhone users are mostly satisfied from my experience. Android much less so. Too much configurability leads to less satisfaction...[/citation]
North Koreans are very satisfied with their government.
Too much democracy leads to less satisfaction....

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]theclash150[/nom]I wasn't 100% satisfied with my Galaxy SIII with the stock TouchWiz but I was able to flash CyanogenMod on it and get it the way I want it. That's the beauty of Android, it can really be YOUR phone. As a former iPhone 4 owner, I cannot express how awesome the flexibility of Android is.[/citation]I had a similar experience with a Sansa Clip Zip media player. It couldn't play Ogg files or even the included sample music without stuttering. I replaced the firmware with Rockbox and now it plays Ogg files perfectly (and Minesweeper. and Doom).
http://www.rockbox.org

[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]iPhone users are mostly satisfied from my experience. Android much less so. Too much configurability leads to less satisfaction.
http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy.html[/citation]
I've seen that TED talk. I agree with what he says, but disagree with his suggested solutions. The solution isn't to deprive customers of choice and trap them in a gilded cage with fewer options.

The solution is to make it easier for people to make choices. Like how Newegg's product search lets you take the thousands of laptops they carry, and quickly narrow it down to the few which are quad core, 15"-15.6", with SSD, and cost $500-$750.

I have a Canon DSLR camera. I use the manual, aperture priority, and shutter priority modes almost exclusively. But when I hand the camera off to someone who doesn't know squat about photography and just wants to take pictures, I put it into "green mode" where the camera does almost everything automatically and acts more like a point and shoot. This is what Android needs - a "green mode" which is super-simplified, but retaining the ability to turn it off and set certain or all features manually if you wish.

That's how you improve customer satisfaction through simplification of choice, not by forcing everyone to use "green mode" like the iPhone does. Part of the reason the iPhone's satisfaction ratings are so high is because Android exists, and tweak-a-holics dissatisfied with the iPhone's limitations have abandoned it to use something else.

G

[iPhone users are mostly satisfied from my experience. Android much less so. Too much configurability leads to less satisfaction.]

To each its own I would say, the market will always support at least two platforms. But it is getting obvious that iPhone will not be the top tier. It all starts with the approach that Apple always priced its products at a premium, it is simple market behavior that they will be squeezed out of top spot. But to change that, is to cheapen the product and it might offend the existing fans and turn them away. That's the disadvantage when a company wants to be the premium brand. The wealth distribution is always non-uniform. Being premium, means it is not that appealing to the lower portion which has more people than those at the upper portion, so it is only a matter of time when someone else come along selling a mass market appeal product and takes the market share away.

I think Apple and their fans should not even be angry about this. Because this is what they will get when they prefer the premium approach, sooner or later.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Stupid comparison. Android has what 1000+ different devices compared to like 10 Apple. Of course it's going to have more growth..LOL The fact that Apple controls so much of the smartphone and tablet market with such few devices compared to the thousands of different Android models speaks volumes. Android is way to fragmented.[/citation]

Samsung sells around twice as many android phones as apple sells iOS. They have only a few current devices.

G

So in essence Android rules because of all the models that runs it. Apple is doing nicely and everyone else sucks including Windows phones. Who will be lucky to ever see 5% market share let alone double digit.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Of course my comment would get thumbed down. Truth hurts Android fanboys.[/citation]

Nah, just making it disappear into oblivion to spare you some embarrassment... Obviously, not working, since you continue to embarrass yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS