Android Growth Decreases iPad Market Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

krameynb

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
This must mean more lawsuits are on the way. If you can't dominate, litigate! Forget innovate. The new apple way...

frozendarkness

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
You guys are right, that must be why samsung is suing companies around the world. besides, i love android's OMG My smartphone's bigger innovation, but apple coming out wiht a 7.9" tablet is innovation dying.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Lets be blunt Apple sells higher priced items, of course their not going to dominate the market when a competition finally shows up at the low end of the market. Especially when you can get good quality products there too.

I've had a few family members pick up cheap capacitive touch screen tablets $50-80 on black friday and after it. Do they work well, kind've they get the job done. They wanted it for angry birds, internet, netflex, all of which it does well. Will a high end tablet perform better, yes. But not $300+ worth of performance increase for them which is what one of their Ipads will set them back.

What Apple probably doesn't see if that these cheap Android users will get used to Android and will most likely come back to Android again when they buy a higher end tablet instead of going with something different like an iPad in order to avoid learning a new OS.

With that in mind I think it was a dumb move to make a iPad mini at $330 price point they should have shot for $200 to dominate the high quality section of the lower end tablets which is filled with Kindle Fire, Nooks, Nexus, etc. Because at their current price point you can get a full size tablet quite easily in comparison to a gimped iPad mini.

G

Hey guys, its shipments, not sales. that has nothing to do with actual market share...

G

What people fail to realize that choice is always good for the end user. If Apple goes away then innovation will definitely suffer.

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]I hope by this time next year, apply will no longer be relevant enough to have so much press.[/citation]

I suppose you mean "apple" by "apply", but why? do you know how many people apple employ? What good would it serve to have apple disappear? just so your senseless apple hate can result in something?

Say what you want about apple, but none of the phone and tablet designs would be where they are without apple coming up with it first. I use a SGSIII and a Asus transformer prime, but I still give credit where it's due.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
We're getting closer and closer to the whole "who cares what 'new' things they're coming out with" and people will start buying less expensive stuff that "does the job", meaning, not Apple. Google will prevail over Apple.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]krameynb[/nom]This must mean more lawsuits are on the way. If you can't dominate, litigate! Forget innovate. The new apple way...[/citation]

Except Apple created this market space....

Android devices have created no new markets.

What major innovation has come from Android tablets? Incremental changes to specs is not innovation. You could argue multiple apps at the same time. Other than that limited feature (on very few of them) they added little innovation to this market

G

To baconeater:

Yes, they do have some employees in US, but..do they have more employees in US or China? where do they really produce their things? in my personal opinion Apples is just like any other foreign company, it will not help in anyway to US buying their products....have you really compared todays android specs against iphone? do you thing is fair to pay 600 for an iPhone just for a brand name or 300 for nexus 4? additionally, I would suggest you to Google a little bit for some of the prototypes the Sony video player long before 2002, they look just like iphone designs for some unknown reason the judges ignored, and with rectangular shape (recently patented by one of your favorite company), be careful and dont invent anything with rectangular shape...lol

rocwurst

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
ABI's figures are from before the launch of the iPad mini so represent the artificial dip before the huge amount of pent-up demand exploded with the launch of the iPad mini.

Apple sold more iPads in the first three days of the launch of the iPad mini than Google or Amazon sold in their entire first three months of sales (sorry I mean shipments). Google only managed 500,000 Nexus 7 tablets in their first month according to the manufacturer Asus. So much for these 7" Android tablets finally being able to earn the title of "iPad killer".

In China, at the heart of the Android tablet flood, Apple's iPad captured an astounding 71% marketshare last quarter and that was also before the launch of the iPad mini.

IBM's recent report that the iPad accounted for a massive 88% of all mobile e-commerce transactions over Black Friday combined with web browser marketshare of 91% and 98% according to Strategy Analytics and OnSwipe respectively confirms that actual sales of Android tablets are far lower than analysts would have you believe - either that or they are sitting unused in people's drawers. or something.

Even in smartphones, iOS is going gangbusters. Kantar Worldpanel ComTech reports that in the last three months the iPhone has surged to 48.1% Marketshare in the influential US market beating Android which plunged from 63.3% to 46.7% in the same timeframe. And this is on the back of only 1 month's worth of iPhone 5 sales.

G

[With that in mind I think it was a dumb move to make a iPad mini at $330 price point they should have shot for $200 to dominate the high quality section of the lower end tablets which is filled with Kindle Fire, Nooks, Nexus, etc. Because at their current price point you can get a full size tablet quite easily in comparison to a gimped iPad mini.]

Apple is in a tight spot. If they have offered a cheaper iPad at very low price, it will compete against its own iPad and reduce sales for it. For instance, at $200 for a 8Gb iPad mini, means the public can buy 2 iPad mini for $400 and has same amount of storage as the $500 iPad. Without a doubt the profit margin at $200 will not be 40%, which is current average profit margin for Apple. If the cheaper model is very successful, it may even mean Apple ends up having less profit even though the market share grows. Also, there is the possibility of cutting too much corner and getting bad rep for it that affect all product lines as a whole. It is not a easy situation for a company that is so used to selling high margin, premium product to get out of.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Eyean[/nom]What people fail to realize that choice is always good for the end user. If Apple goes away then innovation will definitely suffer.[/citation]

Innovation won't suffer if Apple dies. Windows RT will take on Android.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]rocwurst[/nom]...Apple sold more iPads in the first three days of the launch of the iPad mini than Google or Amazon sold in their entire first three months of sales (sorry I mean shipments).

And this is on the back of only 1 month's worth of iPhone 5 sales.[/citation]

Right, comparing MAX number with AVERAGE number .... nice (ab)use of statistics. Then you building your argument by correlating to incompatible datasets. Where did you learn statistics? Tabloid like Business Insider, I would guess. I think they might hire you.

[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]With that in mind I think it was a dumb move to make a iPad mini at $330 price point they should have shot for $200 to dominate the high quality section of the lower end tablets which is filled with Kindle Fire, Nooks, Nexus, etc. Because at their current price point you can get a full size tablet quite easily in comparison to a gimped iPad mini.[/citation]
They had to price it north of $300 to avoid cannibalizing iPod Touch sales ($300 for 32GB version, same processor). Which should tell you something about the price/value of the iPod Touch...

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Android devices have several different manufacturers trying to outdo each other in features and prices. That's good instead of just sticking to one company dictating the price and feature set.

halcyon

Splendid
As more and more people realize the power of Android Apple will lose more and more market share. This is happening big time in the Chinese market which is why Apple saw its iPhone 5 arrive to a luke-warm reception. I rather hope it's contagious and will (hopefully) happen in the US market. Competition is great and I hope it forces Apple to make better products and litigate less.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Eyean[/nom]What people fail to realize that choice is always good for the end user. If Apple goes away then innovation will definitely suffer.[/citation]

I never understood this line of thinking. People try to apply it to AMD as well and also like to point out costs of products will rise due to lack of competition. But with this method of thinking it ignores two major factors. Other companies can either jump into the market to take a swing or new companies can form. You do realize that new companies can pop up right? It's not as if we have a set number of companies and that's all we will ever get.

The second point is the people behind the company. The true brains that go into making products do not simply cease to exist if their company they work for fails. It's not like they are racing horses with a broken leg that get taken out back and shot in the head. They continue to exist and will disperse working elsewhere and taking along their expertise with them.

To think in the manner you do on this subject is really something I would expect a young child to conclude if left to the devices of their own mind.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rocwurst[/nom]IBM's recent report that the iPad accounted for a massive 88% of all mobile e-commerce transactions over Black Friday combined with web browser marketshare of 91% and 98% according to Strategy Analytics and OnSwipe respectively confirms that actual sales of Android tablets are far lower than analysts would have you believe...[/citation]

... and you don't think it could be the other way around according to neutral sources?

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
With Steve Jobs no longer pushing the company and recent Apple products beginning to disappoint even Apple fans, it won't be long until the company is marginalized with it's niche following much as it was in the 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.