Android One is a Nexus Line for the Developing World

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Android NEEDS a push forward.
Go to Walmart or the Dollar Store and look at all the Android phones running 2.2 still. Its sickening and causing a world of fragmentation that brings the brand down and makes Android more difficult to develop for.
Making it where all phones have to be able to run the latest version by retooling the OS for lower system requirements will help push forward and unify the Android experience.

InvalidError

Titan

Only if the device manufacturers actually bother keeping their devices' Android builds up to date. Many, like Google, officially drop support for older devices around the 18 months mark. Many Galaxy Nexus owners got cheesed when the 4.4 upgrade notes said there would be no update for them since they are outside the 18 months support window.

I could use a decent ~$100 smartphone with SD-card but I bet Canadian carriers will charge $250 if not more for it.

yep canadian carriers alweays tack on 100 extra dollars if you buy a nexus phone off contrcat and you have to activate an account with them. it was a super bonus when i was able to get the Nexus 4 for 250.00 from google play store and all i had to do was get a new sim card with my carrier

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Please stop using that stupid ONE naming.. man I'm tired of seeing those everywhere, it's almost like iWhateverDevice or e-whatever. Sounds stupid too. I think HTC One started it, and that was really stupid too especially searching on google.

InvalidError

Titan

Google's first Nexus-branded phone was the Nexus One which launched in 2010; three years before HTC launched their HTC One.

Of course, in the Nexus' case, the "One" simply meant it was the first in the line, which makes legitimate sense... not an on-going out-of-the-blue branding effort like the HTC One and XB One which are nowhere near being their respective vendors' first devices in their respective fields. This does annoy me somewhat.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Please stop using that stupid ONE naming.. man I'm tired of seeing those everywhere, it's almost like iWhateverDevice or e-whatever. Sounds stupid too. I think HTC One started it, and that was really stupid too especially searching on google.

Xbox Started it

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Making it where all phones have to be able to run the latest version by retooling the OS for lower system requirements will help push forward and unify the Android experience.

Problem is the manufacturers. I've built 4.2 for an old Gingerbread device and it ran quite happily (better than the original version that was on there). The problem is the throw away society where most throw away their devices after two years for the latest and greatest. There isn't an incentive for manufacturers to keep the devices up to date without all of the extra bloatware. I had a Droid Bionic that didn't get the official 4.0 update until 4.3 was released, what was Verizon's response to this "Just get a new phone!".

Android NEEDS a push forward.
Go to Walmart or the Dollar Store and look at all the Android phones running 2.2 still. Its sickening and causing a world of fragmentation that brings the brand down and makes Android more difficult to develop for.

If you want a more efficient phone, get a windows phone. If you want bells and whistles with plenty of eye candy, get an android. Google doesn't just tack on features and not think about the horsepower needed to run it. Ultimately it's a balance of what people want and efficiency that they have to decide on. The moto G is probably the best prepaid phone you can buy which is fully up to date for $180.

Status
Not open for further replies.