Angelbird to Bring PCIe SSD on the Cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz84

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
This is amazing! Glad to see a low(er) cost solution with some crazy expandability potential. Looks like the scaling goes FAR beyond what most of us would need. This may be a near future investment...

G

i need a new dictionary.... my definition of cheap seems obsolete

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I agree I feel as though that is much more expensive than current ssd offerings. the performance I think is what the big deal is that is huge performance just extremely small compared to the ssds out there...

currently you can get a 128GB ssd drive for around 240 +/- compared to 16GB of this for 240... how is that cheap again?

G

OCZ's cards are cheaper.

OCZ (OCZSSDPX-1RVD0080) RevoDrive PCI-Express SSD 80GB, Read: 540MB/s, Write: 450MB/s for $299.99 and a $30 mail in rebate for 269.99.

G

I like the idea of SSD on a PCI-e slot. Less cable clutter in a case is desirable.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]I like the idea of SSD on a PCI-e slot. Less cable clutter in a case is desirable.[/citation]
yea and there arent that many usefull pcie devices except for sata6 and usb 3.0 and there arent even that many of those.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
It'll be nice in 15 years when drive these fast are $50 a pop.... Unfortunately I don't think I'll have one of these for the majority of that time period...

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Hard Line[/nom]I agree I feel as though that is much more expensive than current ssd offerings. the performance I think is what the big deal is that is huge performance just extremely small compared to the ssds out there... currently you can get a 128GB ssd drive for around 240 +/- compared to 16GB of this for 240... how is that cheap again?[/citation]The fully populated card has been tested at over 1.02Gb/second for reads and 900Mb/second for writes which is performance not previously seen at this price point, and never previously seen on a bootable PCIe SSD card, let alone an upgradable one.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
I luv Lego! Reminds me of something Gigabyte made when SSD's were too expensive, using a PCIe card & RAM kept alive with it's own battery. OCZ OCZ RevoDrive $375 for 120GB with 400Mb/sec is still the sweetheart for the next rig I build, if it gets TRIM...

G

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the current limit for a PCIE 1x link is 500 MB/s. The rev 3 spec will double that, but even then how do they get to 1081 MB/s?

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I expect to hear this company went belly up by this time next year.

The economy in most countries isn't getting any better and apparently the prices of computer components is going to continue to rise for the most part. Startup companies looking to enter the market at high price points, regardless of the product or it's performance, are more likely to fail because most people aren't going to spend the money.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
This isn't really a price decrease so much as a performance increase. As others have said on this site before, the price of the SSD will not come down, the performance for the same price will just keep going up. Reality check: we are talking about $15 per GB as opposed to $0.20 per GB for conventional storage. 75 times more expensive is hardly what I call bringing it to the masses.

By the way I have 2 SSDs in my system and I think the technology is great.

Chrys

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I see no use for these cards. With the 16GB version you can load little more than your OS. You can load ultra high resolution CAD drawings really fast, but the drive will only hold 1 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.