Question (Another) 13700KF running hot question

Steve101_

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014
Afternoon all, just built a new rig the other day 13700kf, 4080 (Full spec below).
I got a H100i Elite Capelix XT with it which is a 240mm AIO but am now thinking that isn't powerful enough. That or something else is wrong, or maybe i just need reassuring these chips run mad hot lol.
On idle my cpu sits around 42 degrees, sitting around 45-47 now i've got discord open and chrome.
When i tested some games the other night i noticed MW2 would hold the CPU around 70-75 degrees whilst playing. Starfield on the other hand, the cpu would be jumping anywhere from 60's to sometimes up into the 80's and i believe i saw 90's too...

Speaking of high temps, this thing can spike like hell into high temps.
Coming from a 10600k but with an older h115i 280mm rad, this new one is spinning the fans up an annoying amount. I have since tweaked the curve though.

Just updated the bios, and will be checking mounting pressure in a mo. I'm also thinking i'll return the H100i and get a 280mm of the same variety to help a bit. Just wondering if this is all normal or is there something i need to check?

I know people suggest undervolting with next to no performance loss and also some tweaking to the way intel boosts in the bios etc but i've only skimmed the details only so far, I guess lowering the PL2 boost max is an option to reduce spikes in temp and power?

Just to add the 4080 is running sweet as. Idle's at 35 with fans on 30%.
Spec:
Intel Core i7-13700KF
Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT
MSI B760 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory
Crucial P3 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB
Corsair iCUE 4000D RGB AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Extra CORSAIR iCUE AF120 ELITE RGB 120mm PWM Fan

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i just need reassuring these chips Raptor Lake [can] run mad hot warm normally.
It can, and there's nothing wrong. Raptor Lake dies also have smaller hotspots than older Intel chips; companies keep shrinking 'em and shrinking 'em, and hotspots get harder and harder to cool down. They'll need to find another cooling solution at some point.

It seems like many top exhaust mount AIOs because someone else told 'em, and they miss the catch 22 of doing so: The always warmer case ambient is the main air source for the cooler.
If your room is a chill 20C, then it wouldn't be surprising for case ambient in most cases to be several degrees higher(or in the low double digits). The operating thermals can be expected to be higher by that difference. All this is ignoring what may be running at startup or in the background.

Then the 4080, when it's active, is dumping its waste heat inside the PC, which will increase case ambient a bit further.

I guess lowering the PL2 boost max is an option to reduce spikes in temp and power?
I'd say no. Games ain't no Cinebench or Prime 95 small fft, with their constant loads.
One title could be averaging around 60w, suddenly spike to 90w, or another runs around 120w, spike to 180w, yada-yada...
You're not going to panik because a scene caused a mere spike in cpu compute, are you? Nah, you're going to keep playing away... or at least, I would.

TRENDING THREADS