Build Advice Another Budget Build for Family Member

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darkbreeze

Titan
Shut downs, restarts, glitches, weird errors, anything that could be wrong with any of the hardware can always be imitated by a faulty or underpowered power supply, since all the hardware relies on the power supply. Basically, anything that seems "wrong" could be relevant. Not to mention those cheap power supplies tend to have poor ripple and voltage regulation and feeding excessive ripple to the caps on your motherboard or graphics card is never a good idea if you want it to last as long as possible.

I'd just have liked to see you go with a quality power supply, after all, it's the most important component in the build.

m1nty

Prominent
Mar 5, 2018
Shut downs, restarts, glitches, weird errors, anything that could be wrong with any of the hardware can always be imitated by a faulty or underpowered power supply, since all the hardware relies on the power supply. Basically, anything that seems "wrong" could be relevant. Not to mention those cheap power supplies tend to have poor ripple and voltage regulation and feeding excessive ripple to the caps on your motherboard or graphics card is never a good idea if you want it to last as long as possible.

I'd just have liked to see you go with a quality power supply, after all, it's the most important component in the build.
No offense taken, and I appreciate all the suggestions/input! As I mentioned, what really drove my decision making was where I could purchase the items and timing -- Amazon's Prime allowed me to receive all of my items the same day (except for the optical drive). Additionally, it was hard for me to find a case that could fit a 3.5" internal drive, 2.5" SSD, and a 5.5" external drive bay along with the standard USB 3.0 in a slim package. I also required that the PSU could be replaced, which I saw people said was possible in reviews.

Darkbreeze

Titan
It can. Options for replacement units are a LOT more limited, than they would be if it was an ATX form factor unit, and there are a lot fewer high quality models when it comes to small form factors like TFX, but there are some. To get a unit of reasonably good quality you will pay significantly more than for an ATX form factor unit of equivalent quality though since it's more of a niche market, but it's getting better and options increase as time goes on.

Reactions: m1nty

Darkbreeze

Titan
And that is why I had a little bit of a disappointment when I saw what he went with in contrast to the recommendations for a small system that used more standard equipment, and also that it was an InWin with a TFX unit. Seen a few threads with people who had those. Disappointing.

Darkbreeze

Titan
They're not, which is why we're talking about it, but the one it came with isn't one of them. So when the time comes, and it will, there are much better options than a direct replacement of the one it came with or as an upgrade even before that happens. Personally, I wouldn't use that PSU with my hardware. Likely to cause some kind of problem at some point whether from poor power delivery or degrading the other hardware.