Another Foxconn Worker Commits Suicide

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]bebangs[/nom]they should move to another building. 1 story building.[/citation]

Yeah that will help the statistics IE the employee didn't comit suicide at work but at some other place instead - How suit-like thinking of you, bet you will make an excellent CEO at thoose companies - Work over corpses for some more money!

mustbhacks

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
For those who keep quoting the Chinese suicide rate on the country level, you obviously have never been to China.

For one the rate is much higher than they tell you.
For another China employs the death penalty for things we'd just get a year or 2 in prison for.

jadelith

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
wow, people really don't get statistics.

besides, ever heard of coltan? chances are, you are funding child labor by buying an iphone or a laptop.

how about diamonds? your shoes? your clothes?

foxconn is an angel in comparison to the manufacturers of most of the things we use. the only reason you are bashing foxconn is because media decided to single them out.

abbringm

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
The suicide rate in the U.S. was 11.1 per 100.000 a year. 920.000 people work at Foxconn. So if Foxconn would operate in the U.S. the suicide rate at Foxconn would be 102 a year. That is 8 to 9 a month. So Foxconn must have one of the lowest suicide rates of any electronic company in the world.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom]Statistically this makes Foxcon one of the safest places to work. The suicide rate in the US is around 20 people per 100,000 per year, Foxcon has 250,000 employees, do the math folks before jumping to conclusions.[/citation]

Win! With more win hidden inside!!!

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]you should do your own math, 250,000/14=1 in every 17,857 people working at foxconn.[/citation]

Do your own math. 20/100000 in the US is about 1 in 5,000.

Foxconn is still far better. at US rates they should have 50 suicides not 14.

G

You cannot really compare state suicide rate against company suicide rate. There can be many many reasons for one to commit suicide, and thus, it is natural for state suicide rate to be higher.

For suicide working inside a company, most of the reason will be work or environment related. And this will point towards the working condition or the environment that Foxconn creates for its workers.

jadelith

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]larries22[/nom]You cannot really compare state suicide rate against company suicide rate. There can be many many reasons for one to commit suicide, and thus, it is natural for state suicide rate to be higher.For suicide working inside a company, most of the reason will be work or environment related. And this will point towards the working condition or the environment that Foxconn creates for its workers.[/citation]
except foxconn workers live there. its not just where they work. so it *is* a logical comparison; the suicides aren't necessarily work related.

and, again, if you want to boycott companies depending on working conditions, you'll end up naked in a cave, hunting deer for food.

planchero

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom]Statistically this makes Foxcon one of the safest places to work. The suicide rate in the US is around 20 people per 100,000 per year, Foxcon has 250,000 employees, do the math folks before jumping to conclusions.[/citation]

Ninety percent of all people who die by suicide have a diagnosable psychiatric disorder at the time of their death in the USA. So when you think of all the psych evaluations that they have made there employs go through this should be at the very least take care of the majority. Another part of the statistics that are off that people like to point out is Life circumstance for example the rate goes up for people that are recently devoreced, loose employment, sick, under the influence. most of these are not the case at foxcon. You can manupulate statics to say almost anything. But look at other factors and dont take them so blindly.

casperstouch

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Just do what I do, and don't buy things that are manufactured there. They will have to stop the slave labor some day if they don't sell the products.

G

i would be worried if the suicide rate of foxcon was above the national average, that would mean the majority of suicides in china was happening at a foxcon facility, what would speak more is the statistical map for concentration of suicides, if a large number of suicides is occurring in one area then it should be cause for concern below the national average or not, that's like saying all the suicides in San Fransisco is occurring in just one apartment building but hey no need for concerns cause it's below the national average

and all those measure put in place would only deter voluntary suicides, knowing that this is china and all and the reputation this company has, i would not rule out 'involuntary' suicide

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]@greghome a bit of sensitivity wouldn't be out of place on a news story like this.It's about time this got reported on in the mainstream press (more so), the only way things will change is if the public demands computers are built responsible (like fair trade food items) then the likes of Dell, HP and Apple might actually stop using this company. I'm ashamed to admit I do have a Foxconn motherboard in my computer and it will be the last. Never again will I buy ANYTHING that has come from this Foxconn and that includes ipads, iphones and anything Apple or parts for my PC.[/citation]

Yeah, stop buying Foxconn. Putting the company in financial hardship will surely makes things better for the common worker.

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Does anyone think this kind of treatment is new? It seems to me that it was just finally rubbed in America's collective face because it was linked to our precious iToys and NOW we're outraged. Not so much because it was happening, we knew that - but because we have to feign concern for something we can't publicly ignore anymore.

We have been exploiting third world countries for years, and we paid them SO MUCH to make our cheap plastic toys for so long that now - we have to fund the DOD to protect us from them.

What is going on at Foxxcon is sad, but no worse than it had been, or than it is at other Chinese slave mills. At least it's better than living in Somalia or the Congo, where life is REALLY tough.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]ecnovaec[/nom]what these articles always fail to mention is the average suicide rate in China is 10 in 100,000, and they have had 14 in 300,000, far below the national average....[/citation]

Try to look at the data from another point of view.
China has suicide rate of 10 in 100,000 which is equivalent to 30 in 300,000. And 14 of those death are inside of Foxconn, that means 14/30 of China's suicide rate was caused by Foxconn.
Remember who ever died in Foxconn also died in China, the number will be counted at both level.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]Try to look at the data from another point of view.China has suicide rate of 10 in 100,000 which is equivalent to 30 in 300,000. And 14 of those death are inside of Foxconn, that means 14/30 of China's suicide rate was caused by Foxconn.Remember who ever died in Foxconn also died in China, the number will be counted at both level.[/citation]

Yeah, I'm sure those 14 people appreciably skewed the ratio of a country with 1.2 BILLION people. Right.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
People shouldn't criticize foxconn by using suicide statistics, and then cry foul when other people show foxconn is actually better than average in that statistical category. You cannot simply cherry-pick when to use statics to make your point, and then ignore the rest of the statistical picture. At least foxconn's suicide rate is known. The rates for many other companies are not.

I don't know if foxconn is is a good or bad company, but you certainly can't make the case that it is bad by using these suicide stats alone. The numbers just aren't there.

ranger82

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
If I were a citizen of China and had a bunch of communist scum thugs grinding a thumb down on me while smiling at the world saying everything is great, I sure as hell wouldn't jump off a building...I'd push as many of those scum bags off a roof as possible before they shot me.

So what is the lesson here? Foxconn makes makes Intel Motherboards so you can't buy Foxconn or Intel Motherboards. By the way they make connectors and sockets for all the other motherboard brands so I guess we can't buy any more motherboards unless we check to make sure they're Foxxconn free. Foxconn also make cases and do assemblies for some of the big computer OEMs. They assemble Apple products and the xbox. Something to contemplate sitting there without any underwear so you don't exploit poor children.

G

you are comparing the suicide rate of our entire nation (including druggies, alcoholics, unemployed, mentally unwell people in asylums, etc.) to healthy young educated employed people making more than many of their countrymen. Do you see how dumb that is?

Status
Not open for further replies.