Question Another "Micro SD not detected" error ?

brimah87

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
Ok I've got a 99% full 512 GB micro SD card, no matter which card reader or USB port I try Disk Management just shows "Disk 1 Removable (*:) No Media. I've tried changing the Drive Letter, I've tried disabling and enabling the device in Device Manager. I've tried putting it into my laptop instead of my desktop, I've tried getting at it in TAILS OS, no luck. I even resorted to installing EaseUs, DiskGenius, and CuteRecovery, but the micro SD card doesn't show up in those programs as a drive, just the NVME my OS is on.

Other micro SD cards work with the card readers and USB ports. Is there anything I can do to get the data off of the thing? Its a real bummer that 500+ GB of data is gone. I know this has been asked, and I tried what I saw was recommended (like chaning drive letter, disable/enable in device manager, etc.), but nothing seems to be working. I don't care about the actual micro SD card, so I don't want to format it to make it useable again, I just want the data off of it.

Windows 11
i7-14700
64 GB DDR5
980 Pro SSD
Samsung Pro Plus 512 micro SD

Ok I've got a 99% full 512 GB micro SD card, no matter which card reader or USB port I try Disk Management just shows "Disk 1 Removable (*:) No Media. I've tried changing the Drive Letter, I've tried disabling and enabling the device in Device Manager. I've tried putting it into my laptop instead of my desktop, I've tried getting at it in TAILS OS, no luck. I even resorted to installing EaseUs, DiskGenius, and CuteRecovery, but the micro SD card doesn't show up in those programs as a drive, just the NVME my OS is on. Other micro SD cards work with the card readers and USB ports. Is there anything I can do to get the data off of the thing? Its a real bummer that 500+ GB of data is gone. I know this has been asked, and I tried what I saw was recommended (like chaning drive letter, disable/enable in device manager, etc.), but nothing seems to be working. I don't care about the actual micro SD card, so I don't want to format it to make it useable again, I just want the data off of it.

Windows 11
i7-14700
64 GB DDR5
980 Pro SSD
Samsung Pro Plus 512 micro SD
In Device manager, does it respond to "Populate" in it's options and what it shows ? It's possible that only file system on it is corrupted but also that it's controller is damaged and in that case only professional data recovery services have chance to retrieve data.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

brimah87

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
"Populate" produces:

-----Disk Information-----
Disk: Disk 1
Type: Removable
Partition style: Not Applicable
Capacity: 0 MB
Unallocated space: 0 MB
Reserved space: 0 MB

----Volumes----
Volume Capacity
(Image) 0 MB

Do you have a Linux install anywhere to try to read card. Are you the only one who has had access over the years of the card. It could be card just failed most likely but in a rare case could someone have messed with the card to make it unreadable for personal reasons?

Is the card from a phone it could be locked to the phones encryption.

Is the card from a camera with a weird format that needs a windows installed program to decode from card in Windows environment.

Was card from an apple computer and windows sees it at 0 data.

brimah87

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
I have TAILS running from USB, I tried there no luck, TAILS is Linux right? And no I'm the only one who had access to it, it isn't from a phone or camera, it was working on the same PC a few weeks ago but now nothing. When you said "professional data recovery services", is there a program I can purchase? Like I said, the programs I tried to use didn't work because the micro SD card isn't even showing up anywhere, only the card reader is.

brimah87

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
Do you have a Linux install anywhere to try to read card. Are you the only one who has had access over the years of the card. It could be card just failed most likely but in a rare case could someone have messed with the card to make it unreadable for personal reasons?

Is the card from a phone it could be locked to the phones encryption.

Is the card from a camera with a weird format that needs a windows installed program to decode from card in Windows environment.

Was card from an apple computer and windows sees it at 0 data.
I was thinking, if I did a "quick format" on the card so it gets recognized by the system, then used a data recovery program like EaseUS or something, that might be my best bet? What do you think?

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
hi
did the sd card come out of a mobile phone or a tablet? if so it might be you have "secure encrypt" enabled, basicially it will only work in the device you have it encrypted to.. (this can be un encrypted by putting back in device and un-encrypting it). .

if not the issue i decribed above. haveyou tried to attach the sd card to a mobile phone to check it.. either internally on phones sd port(if it has one) or externaly bia usb-usb-c adaptor(or whatever port your phone uses..

brimah87

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
Unfortunately that most likely isn't the issue, I was using it as external storage for my desktop (got it on sale and it was a better $/GB than USB stick or external SSD). I want to try putting it in my Galaxy S20 but the SD/SIM card tray is dented and won't open.

Also now that I'm thinking about it, I don't even think I can do a quick format and then try to recover the data with a data recovery program. How can I quick format the card if my PC won't even recognize that there is anything in the USB card reader?

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
Unfortunately that most likely isn't the issue, I was using it as external storage for my desktop (got it on sale and it was a better $/GB than USB stick or external SSD). I want to try putting it in my Galaxy S20 but the SD/SIM card tray is dented and won't open.

Also now that I'm thinking about it, I don't even think I can do a quick format and then try to recover the data with a data recovery program. How can I quick format the card if my PC won't even recognize that there is anything in the USB card reader?
the device yout pluging the sd card into, is it usb 2/3 or usb-c. ? if is usb2/3 you could get an adaptor(should have been 1 on samsung s30 phone box) and use that and connect to phone externally. and see if it detects it. if it does. then you could do 1 things

1) if you have space transfer all data to 1 folder on the phone..
2) then format the card while still attached to phone..

then ether copy(not move) the data back to the sd card and try on pc... i say "copy" incase it still dont work.. and then you can try and copy the data to another SD card and try that way