Another Overclocking Failure

Jul 15, 2018
Hello everyone. I'm having a rather irritating issue. About a week ago I was constantly getting display port errors anytime the pc was under load and after some troubleshooting, my PSU was on it's way out. I recently upgraded to a 750w power supply which seemed to have had corrected my issues for a few days. and then all day today the computer has been constantly crashing and stating that there is an overclocking error even though the system is not overclocked at all. My hard drive is brand new with a fresh install of windows and updated bios. At first, I thought either my ram or GPU was the issue and ran a memory test and stress tested the GPU using the heavens gate benchmark and memtest, and both worked fine and came back with no errors. Temps across the board is a little hotter than they should but nothing too drastic. The interesting part is that I can do absolutely anything on the computer and it will run fine from watching movies to literally running the benchmark. but it will only lose video signal and crash when gaming. Any help would be appreciated, I apologize for posting this question again, but the error seems very generic after reading a few other threads and everyone's issues seem to be pretty unique. Thank you

Update:
So I've tried two things in an attempt to fix this thing. One friend came over with his 1060 and plugged it in. then ran benchmarks and played a couple hours of games and absolutely nothing happened to the system.

Since it ran fine I assumed my GPU was actually the culprit all along, so I plugged my 980 into his system ran a stress test for a couple hours, then played a game or so for another hour and again absolutely nothing happened. So I am genuinely at a loss at this point. I can't tell what the actual issue is. I've cleared and updated my bios again. cleared gpu drivers, and reinstalled them, set my bios to default. I don't think my motherboard or processor is this issue considering it ran fine with the 1060 installed. My GPU also ran fine in another system. The power supply is brand new and everything is plugged in fine. there are not any shorts in the system and everything is grounded.
I'm effectively back to square one.

Specs*
k
Moba: Asus p79x le
Cpu: Intel Core I7 4820k
RAM: 16GB ASDATA DDR3 ram
GPU : GTX 980ti
PSU : EVGA 750 BQ

Solution
Did you use the same video port and cable for both tests. Did you use you monitor when you tried your card in his system?

When you say you lose video and crash, does the whole system die or do you just lose video signal.

The only things you haven't eliminated are "monitor, cable and less likely but possible, OS)

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Did you use the same video port and cable for both tests. Did you use you monitor when you tried your card in his system?

When you say you lose video and crash, does the whole system die or do you just lose video signal.

The only things you haven't eliminated are "monitor, cable and less likely but possible, OS)

Solution