[SOLVED] Antec earth watts 650w. Model EA650

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
Hello,
Just yesterday after about months of having the PSU (Antec Earthwatts 650w. Model EA650 ) connected to my GPU (GTX 1060). I went to turn on my PC this morning and I get "No Signal" on all three TV's connected to the GPU.
I disconnect 2 of the TV's and turn on PC again. WIN10 boots up then freezes for a second and the I hear a click and back to "No Signal" I do it again and I get either further or right before WIN10 logo and -click-back to "No Signal.
I knew it could not be my GPU dying, so I tried the GPU in another PC and no problems-no clicks-works perfect. So I assume the 6-pin connector line has gone bad. The rest of the PC is working fine with this PSU. It is just the GPU connection giving me problems. I also went out and bought a new PSU and everything including the GPU is working great again.
Is this Antec earth watts 650w. Model ea650 PSU getting ready to die out on me or is there something I could do to fix the 6pin connector issue? Thanks

Solution
10 years is a very long time for that unit, wow. Most are retired after 5 maybe 6 years. So yes, it had a good run, you definitely got your money's worth and then some out of it. But it's time. Wave goodbye. 🎹

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can verify it's the actual connector that's the issue? And not something internal that feeds the pcie output? The ea650 is a 10year old design, it's 80+ on a supposedly eco friendly platform when it's younger cousin the ea650 pro gold blows it away in every department except price.

If it's only a few months old, it should still be covered by warranty, if not through the vendor then definitely by Antec themselves, unless you got it used, like from eBay, in which case it could very well easily be a 8,9,10 year old unit and ready for the rubbish bin.

If you've had it for several years and just now added the 1060 then it's done. It's a low enough quality unit that it should be expected to only last as long as the warranty period

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
Yes it's the 6pin connector line that is causing the issue. Every other connector is working fine in the PC. Also I have the 1060 in the same pcie slot with the new psu and it's working perfectly. When I switched it back with the Antec psu just to see, it had the same issue with no signal. So I just put and kept the new psu in. I did have this Antec psu for about 10yrs. So I guess you're right, it is time for the garbage.
Also when I say the 6pin line, I mean it could be something internal causing the issue to that connector only.