Antec LanBoy Case is Made for Super Air Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I think if they lost the tacky yellow (or red or blue) coloring, this could really be cool. As it is, it looks kinda cheap. Solid black is ideal, but silver trim could be good too. I like the idea though.

turbotong

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hmm, although the concept is good, this thing better have a really good dust solution. Also, part of the concept of a case is that it is supposed to offer protection from daily things - dropping your headphones on accident shouldn't hit the fan and snap it off. While that's not an issue, someone watching youtube while eating pizza and drinking soda will have to be really really careful cuz there is zero protection from liquids spilling on it.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I have to be honest, I love the concept, and would love to have one. But in the honesty, I must also admit that I hate the way it looks. Perhaps if the whole thing was black IT might be better, or if they made the basic frame out of steel, with their famous "Gun Metal Black" colour. Then it would look epic!

Can't help but thinking about how loud this will be, but eh, if your going for a case like this, and are such a tweaker, clearly noise should not be much of an issue!

quiky87

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
This came out months ago, instead of some nice free advertising for Antec, why don't you review the case? I was really excited as the title suggests that you already have but it looks like you just assumed (or were paid to say) it has great cooling when really it looks like its great at keeping everything at room temperature. (Not too mention a giant dust-trap, heaven help those people with cats.)

peanut_bully

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
FOD notwithstanding, saying this case is made for "super air cooling" is just wrong. Proper cooling relies on both the amount and temperature of air and proper flow paths - solid case sides make it (relatively) easy to predict where air is flowing, i.e. in at the front, out the back (or whichever way you configure it). Having mesh sides means the front fans suck in air which is promptly dispersed through the sides, while the rear fans suck in air through the sides and out the back. Unless you have fans close to and directly aimed at thermal sources, this concept is just a gimmick. A properly designed solid case would be much more efficient.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Peanut_Bully summed it up nicely. Having an all mesh case doesn't seem like it'll actually cool very well. You need airflow over your components. If the air is just "seeping" in/out from the mesh, then it's not really putting much airflow over your components. Now, if you have an industrial carpet blower blowing on the side of this case, then yes it is a "super air cooled" case compared to a closed case. But other than that, it's probably not that cool.

If anybody gets to check one of these out, do a smoke test to check airflow. Light a cigarette, and see how the smoke goes. My bet is that it's not really flowing very unified over the components, rather it'll be seeping.

There could be a little logic in this since it is known that Perforated wings on airplanes are used in certain scenarios..... if they used the same science here, it'll make sense, if not, then lol, it's a lego case.....

mirazh1976

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Man my eyes are playing tricks on me.

For a second there the two front fans looked like a bald guy with glasses holding up a fist.

I need to go outside.

super_tycoon

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Wow, this is quite a few comments. Perhaps there's some real interest in learning more about this very subtly planted Antec pc case? I was very tempted to buy one a week ago, REVIEW IT TOM'S.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
This is just a gussied-up open test rack without the ease of access. Lets just agree that its mostly looks with modular flexibility. It's a cool case, but I too am dubious about the super air cooling aspects. Review it.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
While this is a NEAT looking modular case... it needs all the fans to keep things cool.

Having solid panels are REQUIRED for proper air flow. My Antec P150 (renamed Antec Solo) has a single 120mm fan running at low speed and it keeps my quad cool enough. I could run higher fan noise to reduce the heat - but I like a quiet case.

The AIR is going for $180 on Newegg, it looks like a very customizable erector set. It does needs the fans that a normal case wouldn't. But perhaps the WORST thing about this case is the ability to hide all the cabling. There is no place to hide anything.

If I bought this case, I would: PAINT the drives White or black or color match the trip (on the sides, not the face). Don't paint the HDs of course, that could cause temp issues and for sure, void warranty. Look at motherboards that are black, such as some made by ASUS or MSI. A black Corsair PSU.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'd have to agree that I'm skeptical about the whole all-mesh idea. I'd like to see this thing reviewed and benchmarked. If it performs half as good as they think it does, it could be pretty cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS