Antec True power which way up?

G

I'm installing an Antec True Power New 650 in an Antec P183 case.
Is the PSU mounted fan up, or fan down?
Stephen

G

Thanks Lmeow.
The reason I'm confused is that with the fan up, all the labels are upside down and the main cables are furthest from the motherboard. These would have to cross the modular connectors making the cabling very difficult and untidy.
There is a gap under the PSU mount with vents to the rear of the case and open to the inside of the case. Would this provide the air to the PSU if it was fan down, when the cables would be in the most sensible position?

Stephen

shovenose

Distinguished
it and the caase are designed for the psu to be right side - put it that way. just make sure u cllean out the fan occasionally, because if u plan to put the computer on the floor lots of dust will end up in the psu dues to being on the floor!

G

Thanks for your input.
I presume you mean install it with the fan facing down.

Stephen

You have two choices with the a bottom mounted power supply.

First, if your case has sufficient ventilation, airflow, and cooling, then you could mount the psu fan side down so it draws in cool air from an opening in the bottom of the case and exhausts warm air out the rear of the case. The idea is that by drawing in its own supply of cool air rather than drawing in warm case air the power supply will be easier to cool and will last longer. However, do not place the case on a carpeted floor, especially deep pile carpeting. The carpet fibers will block air flow. A few years ago I made my own pc stand with casters.

Second, you could install the power supply with the psu fan on top. The concept is that the psu would help cool the interior of the case by drawing in warm interior case and exhausting out the rear of the case. This concept goes back many many years when Intel started making cpu's that ran hot. The cpu's did not have cpu heatsinks or fans. In addition pc cases did not have case fans. In the original atx standards Intel specified that psu's should be placed near the cpu so the psu fan could help cool the cpu. Obviously this standard no longer applies.

The choice is yours to make based on your own specific ventilation, airflow, and cooling situation.

Since the P183 does not have a ventilated opening directly below the psu you should install it with the fan on top.

logan the huge

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

No, that's the drawback with Antec cases, as they seem to be the only manufacturer that refuses to put PSU vents on the bottom. I can give them a pass on the 1200/P183/P193 since those were designed for the CPX power supplies that have fans that blow front to back, but for the rest of them... :non: :pfff:.

G

In the P183 the PSU sits on two rails about 3/4inch above the base of the case. There are vent slots at the rear of the case opening into this gap, and the gap is open to the lower section of the case. It would seem the fan can suck air in from outside and inside the case from underneath and exhaust it to the rear. There is a fixed plate above the PSU compartment separating it from the Mobo area.
I will try it with the fan down as this makes cable access so much easier.

Thanks for your input.

Stephen