May 7, 2019
Computer type: Desktop, custom built
GPU: ASUS GTX 1050 ti 4gb VRAM, overclock: core +175mhz, memory +750mhz
CPU: Intel i5-6500, no overclock
Motherboard: Gigabyte z170-hd3, BIOS date: 02/23/16 Ver: 05.0000B
RAM: HyperX 8GB 2666mhz
PSU: Floston 650W
Monitor: BenQ Gl 2250-H, 1920x1080 native resolution
GPU Driver: 430.53, clean install, driver only (without geforce experience)
I have SSD and HDD as well, both are pretty good.

Problem:
My problem is that after I reinstalled windows and all the basic programs, I started to install my games and the required components and drivers. But after I finally launched the game, after I tweaked the settings to the previously used one (before reinstallation) the game was not as smooth as before, the general performance was lower and the graphics were bad, even on higher settings. I did not understand the cause of the problem, it ran perfectly before. And especially, anti-aliasing is very bad in every game. The lines and the edges are not smooth, and the objects in the distance have very poor quality, have shimmering effects and appear very pixely.
How is it possible that before reinstallation, every game worked and perfectly on the same settings as now, but after OS installation they don't run as well as before?!

The games, I have the issue with (for now, because not everything is installed): Rainbow Six Siege, PUBG, Forza Horizon 4, Far Cry 5, Overwatch, GTA 5, basically every newer game
Before anyone says that my pc does not support the requirements for 1080p 60 fps gameplay, I do confirm that I always wanted the best graphics, and every game worked on the best graphics possible and ran with 60 fps. (texture - high, shadow - low, anisotropic filtering - 16X, antialiasing - fxaa or 4x msaa or taa (whichever is available), motion blur - off, best environment and object quality possible, etc) .
Before the reinstallation, I had the windows installed for 1 year and since then I don't really remember if I have done any other tweaks or configurations somewhere. to achieve better performance.

Please guys help me, I'm really hopeless, after hours of research a haven't really found any information. I was planning before the issue occurred, to upgrade gpu to an rtx 2060/2070 or to an amd new generation gpu (waiting to be released). But I accept every tip and help. Thank you!

Troubleshooting:
Microsoft Live chat help, nvidia chat support with 4 different agents, clean reinstall twice with disk formats, updating windows, downloading required software updates like DirectX, visual c++, net framework, dust cleaning , re-plugging HDMI cable, tweaking settings in control panel, disabling gaming mode and other background applications, clean boot, highering and lowering resolution, configuring monitor settings, searching for other fixes.
None of these worked, issue still occurs.

I include the Nvidia control panel settings, I carefully configured these after long reading and search on the internet.
https://ibb.co/kJdrnVk

https://ibb.co/yfgDD8G

I also include some clips to help to visualise the problem. Please watch them on a bigger screen (not on the phone) and on the best quality.
(not mine, but same issue)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVVCwuxpyTc
(mine, the problem is clearly visible starting from 0:27)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGbjiG7_i6Q
(mine, shimmering on the floor)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W64HlZg84Pk
(mine, the issue mainly from 1:03 and also around 3:00 minutes)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0pR0JWQigM
(mine, it's everywhere, so watch it carefully)
View: https://youtu.be/81DfPrB-JNM
(mine, it's everywhere, so watch it carefully)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIDSczmdN44&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah. But the fix is partial. Turns out, my screw(only 1 screw, because the scewhole is slightly misaligned) which held the gpu in place was loosened, and the card was slightly bent. I took out the card, cleaned the slot. I somehow re-aligned the screwholes by force. I put the card back, tightened it with 3 screws now.

The problem was fixed in pubg, rainbow six siege, far cry 5 and forza horizon 4. However, Minecraft looks bad in the distant, optifine did not help much either(it made it a bit better). Overwatch still hurts my eyes, nothing has fixed. GTA 5 is fixed partially, the game doesn't look as bad as before, the ropes, lines, cables are way better now, only the render distance is a bit bad. However, my pc cannot handle it...
May 22, 2019
Well why did you reinstall windows? From where did you reinstall it? Did you have to Microsoft provided disk or USB or did you use your own usb ? I know that I will not be able to help you, but I am just gathering more details. It is one of those unsolved issues and it has been around a decade long without any solution because especially the hardware manufacturers and the software manufacturers like AMD, Nvidia,Intel, Microsoft etc. have not acknowledged the issue so the solutions that you get from them and from anywhere else is not going to solve your issue because the cause is not clear. For some it solves randomly like changing a piece of hardware or software but the reason is not clear and for some it never solves. And the issue is real I can say that but it is so far and scarce but more than that just unreasonable and that is why it is not solved yet till so many years. So unless some huge company takes it on as a main focus challenge to solve it is very unlikely that other less advanced users will be able to solve it. And even then it might take a long time to just completely solve the issue for those huge companies like a year or two and that much time they don't have to solve a customer issue that is so scarce and demanding , they would rather make new products and sell them and tell you to just upgrade your pc and turn on full blown anti aliasing, which won't really solve the problem but certainly reduce it. Just hope that you are lucky and some change here or there solves it for you.

kappamaster

Reputable
May 7, 2019
I reinstalled windows via Media Creation Tool, from Microsoft's website. I also realized that a lot of people have this issue unsolved. I really can't find any solution, Nvidia recommended GPU slot clean and BIOS update which i will do this summer. I haven't had such a complicated issue before, I am experienced in PCs and i can help others and my friends if they have anything, but this is different.

May 22, 2019
You , then will have to do what they said first. It is a matter of chance , really. There is no real cause but there has to be some cause. Just follow them for now.

PSU: Floston 650W

Just out of curiosity, is that a PSU brand ? And, is it 80 plus certified ? Never heard of this brand before. Even though your current AA issue might NOT be related to the power supply, I would still recommend you to get some other high quality PSU model, if possible, unless the current FLOSTON PSU is indeed very good and a trustworthy unit.

Go for known brands like Be Quiet, EVGA, Seasonic, Cooler Master, FSP, ANTEC, Corsair and other similar brands. You shouldn't skimp on the PSU though. This is the most important component. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system.

Just my thoughts.

kappamaster

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Yes i know that the psu is not the best one, but i haven't had any problem with power yet, but a psu upgrade is indeed in plan with another motherboard + cpu //// or another gpu. I am just waiting for the new generation ryzen cpus and gpus

kappamaster

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Hey, did you ever found a fix?

Yeah. But the fix is partial. Turns out, my screw(only 1 screw, because the scewhole is slightly misaligned) which held the gpu in place was loosened, and the card was slightly bent. I took out the card, cleaned the slot. I somehow re-aligned the screwholes by force. I put the card back, tightened it with 3 screws now.

The problem was fixed in pubg, rainbow six siege, far cry 5 and forza horizon 4. However, Minecraft looks bad in the distance, optifine did not help much either(it made it a bit better). Overwatch still hurts my eyes, nothing has fixed. GTA 5 is fixed partially, the game doesn't look as bad as before, the ropes, lines, cables are way better now, only the render distance is a bit bad. However, my pc cannot handle it on the same settings as before, it sometimes stutters, so i dont know what the problem could be. But turns out, other people, with even high-end builds have experienced bad performance. Maybe its just the game.

However, my new build is really close, all I need now is to sell my parts, or at least trade them in. I think, this problem occurred when i moved my pc case to the other side of the desk. But really unlucky timing, because I honestly thought the problem was caused by the windwos reinstallation. I think because of this, the card was slightly damaged as well, hanging there in the slot and being pulled down by it's weight.

Cioby

Distinguished

The problem was fixed in pubg, rainbow six siege, far cry 5 and forza horizon 4. However, Minecraft looks bad in the distant, optifine did not help much either(it made it a bit better). Overwatch still hurts my eyes, nothing has fixed. GTA 5 is fixed partially, the game doesn't look as bad as before, the ropes, lines, cables are way better now, only the render distance is a bit bad. However, my pc cannot handle it on the same settings as before, it sometimes stutters, so i dont know what the problem could be. But turns out, other people, with even high-end builds have experienced bad performance. Maybe its just the game.

However, my new build is really close, all I need now is to sell my parts, or at least trade them in. I think, this problem occurred when i moved my pc case to the other side of the desk. But really unlucky timing, because I honestly thought the problem was caused by the windwos reinstallation. I think because of this, the card was slightly damaged as well, hanging there in the slot and being pulled down by it's weight.

Just reading your reply hurt me. Please. Always make sure the card is in all the way and make sure it doesn't move at all (while the case/motherboard is still placed horizontally).
Now the other issue, maybe you already damaged your card beyond help by not keeping it properly fixed. OR you had other Nvidia settings on before. Like in the Nvidia settings 3D programs, you maybe had Nvidia's own AA set as default in ALL GAMES as in "override game settings".
Otherwise the only explanation is that you don't have all the proper drivers, motherboard included, directx, etc. OR you have new stuff like bad antiviruses or other apps that are eating up your performance. Or you forgot to set your power plan to PERFORMANCE.
Normally after a clean install you should gain fps not lose them. Unless you did something wrong or different to your software.

Solution

kappamaster

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Just reading your reply hurt me. Please. Always make sure the card is in all the way and make sure it doesn't move at all (while the case/motherboard is still placed horizontally).
Now the other issue, maybe you already damaged your card beyond help by not keeping it properly fixed. OR you had other Nvidia settings on before. Like in the Nvidia settings 3D programs, you maybe had Nvidia's own AA set as default in ALL GAMES as in "override game settings".
Otherwise the only explanation is that you don't have all the proper drivers, motherboard included, directx, etc. OR you have new stuff like bad antiviruses or other apps that are eating up your performance. Or you forgot to set your power plan to PERFORMANCE.
Normally after a clean install you should gain fps not lose them. Unless you did something wrong or different to your software.

I understand what you are saying, but my problem wasn't related to the settings, drivers, programs, etc. My antivirus is the default (and i use it regularly). Power plan on performance as well. I don't have any other apps. I'm sure the problem here was caused by the card not being fixed correctly. And as I said, the newer games are fixed 95%. I know how Forza Horizon 4 looked like before the reinstall and after. I primarily spotted the problem there. But now is gone.

Erithlor

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

The problem was fixed in pubg, rainbow six siege, far cry 5 and forza horizon 4. However, Minecraft looks bad in the distance, optifine did not help much either(it made it a bit better). Overwatch still hurts my eyes, nothing has fixed. GTA 5 is fixed partially, the game doesn't look as bad as before, the ropes, lines, cables are way better now, only the render distance is a bit bad. However, my pc cannot handle it on the same settings as before, it sometimes stutters, so i dont know what the problem could be. But turns out, other people, with even high-end builds have experienced bad performance. Maybe its just the game.

So you are saying I should mess around with screws more?
I have bad AA, flickering and shimmering in all games in past 9 months. This issue was triggered when I installed RTX 2080 Ti to my PC. But there is no explanation why this issue also started on other computers I tested. I even tested laptop with integrated GPU. And even changed every single part in my main gaming PC, did clean reinstall of Windows and drivers, but the issue persists. I don't know what else I could do.

Here are some videos of broken AA:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlMqfkpuQrk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTQEUuMTpFA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4RZ2A1_tkA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bgP7lg-wgQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDmlFUYto1g

You can check more videos in my channel.

kappamaster

Reputable
May 7, 2019
I have bad AA, flickering and shimmering in all games in past 9 months. This issue was triggered when I installed RTX 2080 Ti to my PC. But there is no explanation why this issue also started on other computers I tested. I even tested laptop with integrated GPU. And even changed every single part in my main gaming PC, did clean reinstall of Windows and drivers, but the issue persists. I don't know what else I could do.

No, don't mess around with screws. That was only for me. However, you can play around with nvidia control panel settings. You can force 8x aa, 8x supersampling as override application settings. That also made the games better for me, but my rig did not support it and it made me lag. Bot for you this can fix the issue. I'm switching to a complete amd build soon, i've head enough of overpriced craps which do not work well. Ryzen cpus and amd gpus do not have these problems, because they use a different technology which seems to work better, also offering better overall texture quality on the same settings as the nvidia equivalent (saw the last fact with my own eyes, and I'm not blind whatsoever).

Maybe try to send the card back. If your motherboard, cpu, and power supply isn't bad, a 2080 ti should run without problems. Also the higher the resolution, the better the image quality. Maybe test your games on a 4k monitor and see if it helps.

kappamaster

Reputable
May 7, 2019
No, don't mess around with screws. That was only for me. However, you can play around with nvidia control panel settings. You can force 8x aa, 8x supersampling as override application settings. That also made the games better for me, but my rig did not support it and it made me lag. Bot for you this can fix the issue. I'm switching to a complete amd build soon, i've head enough of overpriced craps which do not work well. Ryzen cpus and amd gpus do not have these problems, because they use a different technology which seems to work better, also offering better overall texture quality on the same settings as the nvidia equivalent (saw the last fact with my own eyes, and I'm not blind whatsoever).

Maybe try to send the card back. If your motherboard, cpu, and power supply isn't bad, a 2080 ti should run without problems. Also the higher the resolution, the better the image quality. Maybe test your games on a 4k monitor and see if it helps.

And yeah, I do see the problems you are talking about.

Erithlor

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
NVCP settings doesn't do anything, sadly. I can even set render scale to 200% in games, but the massive flickering, shimmering and jaggies persists (in the first video Destiny 2 was running on 1440p monitor and 150% render scale). I also tried older video cards such as GTX 1080 Ti, 980, 780 and 760. So I don't think it's related to GPU. Like I said, I changed all the parts in my main PC. Overall, I tested 7 different computers, including laptop with integrated GPU, 2 monitors (1080p and 1440p) and 2 TVs (1080p and 4K), but the broken AA, jaggies and flickering are still present no matter what I do.

Last edited:

kappamaster

Reputable
May 7, 2019
NVCP settings doesn't do anything, sadly. I can even set render scale to 200% in games, but the massive flickering, shimmering and jaggies persists (in the first video Destiny 2 was running on 1440p monitor and 150% render scale). I also tried older video cards such as GTX 1080 Ti, 980, 780 and 760. So I don't think it's related to GPU. Like I said, I changed all the parts in my main PC. Overall, I tested 7 different computers, including laptop with integrated GPU, 2 monitors (1080p and 1440p) and 2 TVs (1080p and 4K), but the broken AA, jaggies and flickering are still present no matter what I do.

Also, the quality of the cable which transmits the image to your monitor influences the game a lot. Try it with VGA cable, better HDMI cable, or test your videocard on a pc where this problem doesn't persist. Or i don't know, something in your pc pulls the quality down.

Jul 26, 2019

YOOOO. I had to stop reading this thread at your post here to hopefully get your attention if you do by chance see this. Since February pf last year I got into PC gaming on my decent-end laptop and I struggled with the EXACT same shimmering edges / texture flickering in you show in each of your videos... I literally could not find another person online who was experiencing the same exact anomalies (Every post on "flickering edges" I could find anywhere online showing examples didn't look as distinctive as what I was I was seeing so my endless troubleshooting always ended with me thinking it must be deriving from my eyesight, or simply a result of pushing my laptop to its limits...). I waited the entire year suffering through the shimmering up until the beggining of this month when I FINALLY had the budget to build my PC with an RTX 2080 Super + i9-9900k... This fixed everything except the shimmering, which still remains ... I pray to god I find an answer continuing on in this post and if not, that you see this and can offer any information on your experience

kappamaster

Reputable
May 7, 2019
I FINALLY had the budget to build my PC with an RTX 2080 Super + i9-9900k... This fixed everything except the shimmering, which still remains ...

It turns out, the issue persists mainly on nvidia cards. In the future, I will switch to AMD, it seems their cards offer better results.
One more thing, try testing your rig on a beast monitor. Most monitors are not for proper gaming, so is mine. The resolution can help a lot, because there are more pixels and the lines spread out.

kappamaster

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Hi vampyr05. I translated your message. G-sync and Freesync monitors definitely help with the quality, because you don't have to enable it in-game. Go for 1440p, on higher resolution the pixels are much more dense and the jagged lines don't look as bad.

kappamaster

Reputable
May 7, 2019
H
[QUOTE = "kappamaster, message: 21621433, membre: 2743032"]
Il s'avère que le problème persiste principalement sur les cartes NVIDIA. À l'avenir, je passerai à AMD, il semble que leurs cartes offrent de meilleurs résultats.
Encore une chose, essayez de tester votre plate-forme sur un moniteur de bête. La plupart des moniteurs ne sont pas conçus pour jouer correctement, tout comme le mien. La résolution peut beaucoup aider, car il y a plus de pixels et les lignes s'étalent.
[/CITATION]
same thing for amd cards bro i have 2 card
Be aware, that in some games the anti aliasing is poorly developed. The problem could be with the game.

EmilHus

Reputable
May 24, 2020
GPU: RTX 2060 GIGABYTE Windforce OC
Monitor: HP 24f (75Hz) ( original HDMI without any tip )
PSU: Thermaltake LitePower 550W
MB: B365 MSI
And i must to say that month ago everything was allright.Computer just staying without work 1 month and after that i started pc and game.But i noticed this problem.Then i think that this problem from old drivers.I updated.Not work.I tried everything with my Nvidia control panel.EVERYTHING.Even Nvidia agents cant help me.Now im here

Last edited:

kappamaster

Reputable
May 7, 2019
GPU: RTX 2060 GIGABYTE Windforce OC
Monitor: HP 24f (75Hz)
PSU: Thermaltake 550W
MB: B365 MSI
For how long have you been using this PC and since when did you first encounter this problem? Also try writing down the troubleshooting methods used so far. If you don't understand something, use Google Translate.

Status
Not open for further replies.