Question Antivirus for non SSE2 Compliant Processor

Feb 22, 2019
This was discussed in 2017 but the post is closed now.
I just installed Camwin and it is scanning my old XP computer so at least I will have some sort of protection on it. I do not use it for any emails so I am good there and I have cut on the firewall so I am not really sure what else I might need?
My old computer is used for uploading pictures for my business and then post them on a forum or FB or just print them out and every now and then I might check out a website link to see if it is still good but that is about the internet I would ever do.

I did have Avast on it for many years and it was taking up like 5 gigs of my C drive and I could not even defrag it or upload anything so I removed it sorry to say and now looks like I need an SSE2 compliant processor to load any antivirus programs but at least now I do have something good or bad thank goodness.

But I was wondering if an antivirus like one from 2011 or earlier might work? I did find a Kaspersky-Anti-Virus-2011 and just wondered if it might work? I guess I could contact them and see what they can tell me?

What do you think?

Feb 22, 2019
Work, maybe, but do you really want to use something that has 5+ year old virus definitions?

You are correct but I was wondering that once it was installed then it would update and not have any problem with the SSE2 processor problem just like Avast had been doing for all the years I had it loaded on that computer?

Feb 22, 2019
Did a little research and we have actually seen this issue before here. Unfortunately no, none of them will work. They all have the same requirement and won't download current definitions.

That is also what I was reading so my best bet is just use the Clamwin and any thing else I can find I guess?
I do not get email on it any longer so I don't have to worry about anything there. I will just use my firewall and site advisor and hope for the best.
Thanks

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
That is also what I was reading so my best bet is just use the Clamwin and any thing else I can find I guess?
I do not get email on it any longer so I don't have to worry about anything there. I will just use my firewall and site advisor and hope for the best.
Thanks

Clamwin isn't going to work either. Your best bet is to run Linux on it if you're concerned about viruses. Otherwise I suggest not connecting it to the internet.

Feb 22, 2019
Clamwin isn't going to work either. Your best bet is to run Linux on it if you're concerned about viruses. Otherwise I suggest not connecting it to the internet.

I do not really think I will be connecting to the internet from that computer. I can access everything on it from the one I use through the network all the time so if I want to go to a site I will just get the info and go to it from this one.
Thanks

Reactions: Rogue Leader