[SOLVED] Any advice at 2020 for a GPU?

dzrved

Reputable
Apr 11, 2017
Hello.

I'm here today asking for an advice, I want upgrade my GPU, my 2y old 1060 still fighting and working well, very well, but with time it will end as Low-Spec GPU so my idea is upgrade this little one and move to another one (don't worry my 1060 never gonna end on a GPU cementery, maybe ends on my brother's pc or on a friend's pc).

PC Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Gigabyte 1060.
PSU: Sentey 750w C80
RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb.

Oh, by other side, a friend of mine is planning to do a workstation oriented to AutoCAD, Sketchup and other related apps to Architecture and ask me for a GPU too, but this one are more related to a few screens on renders and more CPU/RAM dependent I think.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Is this new GPU going to be for gaming? Yes and No, I use it for gaming mostly but I do Photoshop and After Effect stuff too, I replace my old HD5770 for this one and when I was using PS and AE the rendering time was cutted like 80%.

What resolution? At this momment I'm running 1680 x 1050px got plans to go for a 1080p monitor but first at first GPU.

What frame rates are you shooting for? As my monitor can only handle 60Hz if I get 120fps at the end is the same, but would be viewed with a new monitor.
I have no idea what the rendering times would be for the newer GPUs, but for playing games, the 1660 is only about 15% faster than a 1060 6GB. You would need to buy...

dzrved

Reputable
Apr 11, 2017
Is this new GPU going to be for gaming?
What resolution?
What frame rates are you shooting for?
Your CPU can definitely handle some more powerful cards.

Is this new GPU going to be for gaming? Yes and No, I use it for gaming mostly but I do Photoshop and After Effect stuff too, I replace my old HD5770 for this one and when I was using PS and AE the rendering time was cutted like 80%.

What resolution? At this momment I'm running 1680 x 1050px got plans to go for a 1080p monitor but first at first GPU.

What frame rates are you shooting for? As my monitor can only handle 60Hz if I get 120fps at the end is the same, but would be viewed with a new monitor.

I have no idea what the rendering times would be for the newer GPUs, but for playing games, the 1660 is only about 15% faster than a 1060 6GB. You would need to buy at minimum a GTX 1070/1660TI/RTX 2060 for a 25-35% increase. The best cards I would buy to avoid a bottleneck with a Ryzen 5 2600 when gaming is an RTX 2060 Super or 2070 with both cards being around 75-100% or possibly faster than a GTX 1060 6GB.

If the end goal is to cut rendering times as well as play games, you may want to look at what features of the GPU are used for rendering before buying anything new, as the new card may not be faster or as fast and could possibly even have features missing that are required for your rendering.

Solution
For 1080 resolution I would keep what you have for a bit. When you decide to go to a higher refresh monitor or higher than 1080, then upgrade the card after the monitor. If you wait, faster cards will be cheaper, and there is nothing wrong with a 1060 card running at 1080 resoution in games now.

dzrved

Reputable
Apr 11, 2017
Well.....I'm thinking right around a GTX 1660. That's a great card for 1080p and your CPU is plenty enough for it.

Here is the GPU hierarchy list so you can get an idea.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Thanks I'll read it.

I have no idea what the rendering times would be for the newer GPUs, but for playing games, the 1660 is only about 15% faster than a 1060 6GB. You would need to buy at minimum a GTX 1070/1660TI/RTX 2060 for a 25-35% increase. The best cards I would buy to avoid a bottleneck with a Ryzen 5 2600 when gaming is an RTX 2060 Super or 2070 with both cards being around 75-100% or possibly faster than a GTX 1060 6GB.

If the end goal is to cut rendering times as well as play games, you may want to look at what features of the GPU are used for rendering before buying anything new, as the new card may not be faster or as fast and could possibly even have features missing that are required for your rendering.

I'm between 1660S or 1660Ti if not 2060 would be the ultimate option, not planing 1080-2080 so far 2060 would be my last and most beautiful option.

Other thing, rendering videos and all that stuffs I do i do for hobby nothing else, i'm not a youtuber or something like that I just like make and explore things.

For 1080 resolution I would keep what you have for a bit. When you decide to go to a higher refresh monitor or higher than 1080, then upgrade the card after the monitor. If you wait, faster cards will be cheaper, and there is nothing wrong with a 1060 card running at 1080 resoution in games now.

Here in Argentina you have to do everything upside down. Is sad but is true, you have to think what thing will increise his price, we play with USDs but if nVidia cut the price of some GPU is the same for us, we still paying the full price or more. For example: 1660S on Amazon is priced at 260USD that's 20.800AR$, in some sites and places you will find it at 23-25.000AR$ plus or less and this means I'm paying between 40-60USD more. So the thing is; buy it before anything goes wrong in the next months. Argentina economy isn't in the best spot and we are going down since the past 10y.
GPU and Monitor are not the same that's why I'm not worried about getting a new monitor 1080p 75-120hz.

Thanks for replying guys.

Unknown E

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2016
It all comes to what you need your PC to work on with.

Budget option for games would be the RX 5700 XT from AMD
For content creators where Adobe software is no stranger, a 1660Ti or even better a RTX 2060 might suit your needs

If you're a highly skilled 3D designer or an architect , use Nvida Quadro GPU's to adequate your needs. Nvidia Quadro might be very costly, but for AutoCAD designs, it's a weapon for time

dzrved

Reputable
Apr 11, 2017
It all comes to what you need your PC to work on with.

Budget option for games would be the RX 5700 XT from AMD
For content creators where Adobe software is no stranger, a 1660Ti or even better a RTX 2060 might suit your needs

If you're a highly skilled 3D designer or an architect , use Nvida Quadro GPU's to adequate your needs. Nvidia Quadro might be very costly, but for AutoCAD designs, it's a weapon for time

Hello, I'm not content creator, streamer or youtuber, I like do my own animation effects for some fragmovies (mostly my own Artwork designs on Steam), but as I say, IT'S FOR FUN AND A HOBBIE, no PRO, by other side I've 0 interest on do a path to this lands.
Taken note about 5700XT.

Thanks for the advice about Quadro, but here Quadro P620 is available, which is expensive (here) and old, at least if this is expensive let me find a P6000 or something like that if not I'll give him my own 1060 which is a little more big than P620, Warning this other Quadro or GPU are not for me, is for a friend, I'm asking about my own 1060 upgrade and making another question at the same time to not open another thread.

Thanks for replying.