[SOLVED] Any ATX cases that open like an old Powermac G3?

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
Title says it all. I was recently watching a video by VWestlife on Youtube, about an old Power Mac G3. Nothing particularly interesting...

EXCEPT, the way that case actually opens. I love that! Is anyone here aware of an ATX form-factor case on the market now that has this kind of opening/easy maintenance door? I'm constantly fiddling with my desktop, so something like this would be such a godsend. If anyone knows of a case like that, please let me know!

Note: I am not interested in modding an old G3 case, so any suggestions to that won't be taken. If there isn't one that's currently available for direct purchase, I'll take that answer.

Note Note: A link to VWestlife's video on the G3:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ru1RojxXF8&ab_channel=VWestlife

Solution
The short answer is no.

The longer answer is that there were a few cases that did this (such as this one Tom's Hardware looked at back in 2008) and system builders like Dell did something like this. But this case design doesn't really work well for the DIY market for several reasons:
  • This limits the height of certain components, like the CPU heat sink. If it can't clear the top of the case when the motherboard side is being swung open, well, you have a problem.
  • Cable management is a thing and people like to tuck away their cables. This can create a problem with not having enough slack or cables that can freely move around.
  • The amount of components that are installed these days in a computer can add a significant...
The short answer is no.

The longer answer is that there were a few cases that did this (such as this one Tom's Hardware looked at back in 2008) and system builders like Dell did something like this. But this case design doesn't really work well for the DIY market for several reasons:
  • This limits the height of certain components, like the CPU heat sink. If it can't clear the top of the case when the motherboard side is being swung open, well, you have a problem.
  • Cable management is a thing and people like to tuck away their cables. This can create a problem with not having enough slack or cables that can freely move around.
  • The amount of components that are installed these days in a computer can add a significant amount of weight. This may make opening the case this way a bit more perilous if you let it "free fall" down.
  • A lot of aftermarket heat sinks require a backplate to be installed behind the motherboard. To make installation of this easier, there's a cut out on the motherboard tray so the user can remove the previous heat sink and install the new one without disassembling the entire computer. Having a swing out door where the motherboard mounts removes this convenience.
  • This design doesn't play nice with AIO water coolers
There are cases with a similar idea, where you can pull out the motherboard tray from the back instead. However, these seemed to also largely fallen out of favor, likely for the same reasons.

Last edited:
Solution