[SOLVED] Any chance of my specs being able to run Cyberpunk 2077?

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
Wondering if my specs are able to run Cyberpunk 2077 with and without overclock.

Specs:
i5-4590 @ 3.30 GHz.
GTX 1050 - 2GB of VRAM.
16GB of RAM @1333 MHz.
1TB Hard Drive.

I have not overclocked any of the hardware, but what should I overclock to make a smooth play experience for Cyberpunk 2077?

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Looks like with just the cpu upgrade you may be able to get by with 720p low, skip to the end of that video. That video doesn't go into night city so I cant say for sure that it'll stay around those relatively playable 30 to 40 fps numbers. The Xeon i linked in the previous post is about the same as an i7 4770, technically its a smidge faster but its not something you would ever notice. The biggest plus is that you would be able to use ECC memory if your motherboard supports it, on the potential minus it doesn't have a built in GPU (personally thats not really a con).

View...
Mar 30, 2022
Maybe 30fps at 720p ultra low.

^^This. I can tell you from experience that Cyberpunk will require a powerful system to run at 4K with high/ultra settings at any reasonable frame rate. I'm in the process of building a new system, but my current system has an i7-3770K, GTX 1080 Ti w/ 12GB VRAM, and 32GB of system memory. I set Cyberpunk to 4K with ultra settings. I came to a point in the game where there was a bug that occurred at a certain spot EVERY time, no matter how many times I reloaded a previous save. A web search revealed that the recommended solution was to lower the resolution, get past the bug, and then restore your previous resolution. This did indeed work around the bug successfully, but when I lowered from 4K down to 2K, I had absolutely no idea how slow the game had been up until that point. At 2K, it was like playing an entirely different game. Everything was SO smooth and super responsive.

TLDR: Yes, you can play Cyberpunk with those specs, but don't expect to be able to play with anywhere near max graphics settings.

artk2219

Distinguished
You are looking at a new build to run it really well, you may be able to do some small upgrades to get things running better, like swapping out to an LGA 1150 Xeon relatively affordably IF your motherboard supports it. Youll have to do some research there, what motherboard are you using? You also need a new GPU which also means you may need a new power supply if you don't have a very good one or if you do not have a PCIE power cable. If you don't have a PCIE power cable you could pickup a GTX 1650 model that doesnt need PCIE power and it will run 1080p low to medium at 30 to 40 FPS, especially if you use FSR and\or frame limit it to 30FPS. Realistically for that super smooth 1080p medium experience you ll need a decent power supply and something like a GTX 1660 super, or even better, an RX 6600. Your GTX 1050 is just a bit too weak for this game unless you want to go 720p low potentially with resolution scaling.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264197319313?epid=1923493939&hash=item3d83632a91:g:17IAAOSw6aVcZgvn

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZaN1XhpjG0

Last edited:
So this would play any modern 1080p game reasonably well at medium to high settings 60-120+ fps.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($32.72 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB Challenger D OC Video Card ($439.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($72.50 @ Amazon)
Total: $1099.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-07 11:53 EDT-0400

Reactions: artk2219

artk2219

Distinguished
Looks like with just the cpu upgrade you may be able to get by with 720p low, skip to the end of that video. That video doesn't go into night city so I cant say for sure that it'll stay around those relatively playable 30 to 40 fps numbers. The Xeon i linked in the previous post is about the same as an i7 4770, technically its a smidge faster but its not something you would ever notice. The biggest plus is that you would be able to use ECC memory if your motherboard supports it, on the potential minus it doesn't have a built in GPU (personally thats not really a con).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQBslbX1xsM

Last edited:
Solution
Two things of note, I don't recall OP saying anywhere that running it at 4K was the goal (but I agree the rig is under speced even for 1080p). I also think Cyberpunk is not necessarily worth hurrying on an upgrade. As was mentioned, GPU prices are finally starting to drop, starting mind you. A little patience would go a long way here. There are plenty of older games that still have decent graphics by today's standards that are fun to play to occupy your time with.

Mar 30, 2022
There are plenty of older games that still have decent graphics by today's standards that are fun to play to occupy your time with.

Very true. After I'm done building my new system, Cyberpunk is actually the first game I intend to replay, coincidentally. I will say, though, that I absolutely love playing back through Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Bioshock, Witcher, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc. You could conceivably disappear for years trying to play through all of those... ha.

Very true. After I'm done building my new system, Cyberpunk is actually the first game I intend to replay, coincidentally. I will say, though, that I absolutely love playing back through Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Bioshock, Witcher, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc. You could conceivably disappear for years trying to play through all of those... ha.
Myself, I'm going back through The Evil Within 2, this time on Nightmare. As far s I recall I did my first play through on Survival some time ago. Maybe I was in a bad state when I played it the first time, but I was put off by the game. This play through is giving me a new appreciation for it, and I may even try it on Classic when it's unlocked. Classic limits you to only 7 saves the whole game, with no auto saves, and you have to make it through on base stats for Sebastian and your weapons, as there's no upgrades.

Last edited: