Question Any fix/reason for low performance? RTX 3050 I7-7700K 32GB RAM

May 15, 2024
I run an RTX 3050, I7-7700K, a Z270 SLI Plus Motherboard, and a 32GB RAM (dual channelled) that will run poorly on most games it should run fine on. Examples being: Outer Worlds, Outer Wilds, Fallout 4, Skyrim even, etc. (I won't list all the games I have issues in) I've reinstalled the graphics drivers using DDU and ensured they are on the latest drivers, and I've made sure that it isn't an overheating issue.

I really can't understand why it's running so poorly, I've tried asking on Reddit countless times, and I'm going to try here now, I can't wrap my head around what's going on and it's really frustrating. I also have Windows on my SSD if that helps anything, I also might try reinstalling Windows if no one has any solutions

May 15, 2024
Frequently when asking for help, I'd receive a "this should work fine" as an answer, I assumed the CPU was underpowered so thank you for confirming my original suspicion.

Running 1080p at medium settings.

May 7, 2024
You can try enabling hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in "Default graphics settings" in Windows graphics settings if you haven't already to compensate for an underperforming CPU. Definitely benchmark immediately afterwards though since you listed older games that it might not work as well with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 35below0
Without a full rundown on specs and actual performance numbers it's impossible for anyone to give you good advice. It'd be worth at the very least running 3DMark and comparing to people with the same CPU/GPU combination to see if there is a specific disparity. The games you've listed should run fine on your system even though the CPU is relatively outdated and is 4c/8t.

May 15, 2024
Without a full rundown on specs and actual performance numbers it's impossible for anyone to give you good advice. It'd be worth at the very least running 3DMark and comparing to people with the same CPU/GPU combination to see if there is a specific disparity. The games you've listed should run fine on your system even though the CPU is relatively outdated and is 4c/8t.
My bad, I've run 3dmark, let me know if you want any other data like HWInfo.

View: https://imgur.com/a/5G1ibI7
- (Time Spy Score)

View: https://imgur.com/a/1dDOePy
- (Detailed Scoring)

May 15, 2024
You can try enabling hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in "Default graphics settings" in Windows graphics settings if you haven't already to compensate for an underperforming CPU. Definitely benchmark immediately afterwards though since you listed older games that it might not work as well with.
I think I remember turning it off due to issues, I'll try turning it on now though.

May 15, 2024
This helped a lot, fallout 4 went from running at 30 fps no matter what the settings in diamond city, to running stable 120 on medium.

May 15, 2024
Many with K suffix processors and Z motherboards will overclock.
It is relatively easy to do and safe enough if you only do so by adjusting the multiplier.
Read up on the process.
Heat generation increases so you might need better than the stock cooler.

May 15, 2024
Many with K suffix processors and Z motherboards will overclock.
It is relatively easy to do and safe enough if you only do so by adjusting the multiplier.
Read up on the process.
Heat generation increases so you might need better than the stock cooler.
I'm not running stock, I'm running some sort of Noctua with 2 fans, would this be safe?

May 15, 2024
Those numbers don't seem to stand out as particularly bad at all. The video card is a tad low, but not to an anomalous degree.

What speed is your DRAM running at?
My RAM is running at 3000mhz, the RAM is supposed to be 3100/3200 I don't remember, but I can't boot if I run higher than 3000.

I'm not running stock, I'm running some sort of Noctua with 2 fans, would this be safe?
You probably have a very good cooler suitable for some level of overclocking.
Can you provide a photo?

There is little danger with overheating.
The processor measures it's own temperature and will slow down or even turn off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
Simple clock rate overclocking is quite safe.
Where one might get into trouble is with fiddling with voltages or the base clock.

My RAM is running at 3000mhz, the RAM is supposed to be 3100/3200 I don't remember, but I can't boot if I run higher than 3000.
Definitely nothing wrong with that DRAM speed so I really don't see anything from a hardware perspective that is particularly wrong. The CPU scores seem a tad bit low so maybe there are some background processes going on as well. I don't see any huge red flags performance wise so I'd guess what you're having is a combination of software and just the limits of the hardware you have.

May 15, 2024
Definitely nothing wrong with that DRAM speed so I really don't see anything from a hardware perspective that is particularly wrong. The CPU scores seem a tad bit low so maybe there are some background processes going on as well. I don't see any huge red flags performance wise so I'd guess what you're having is a combination of software and just the limits of the hardware you have.
Unsurprising in that aspect, I have a fair bit of background processes.

May 15, 2024
You probably have a very good cooler suitable for some level of overclocking.
Can you provide a photo?

There is little danger with overheating.
The processor measures it's own temperature and will slow down or even turn off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
Simple clock rate overclocking is quite safe.
Where one might get into trouble is with fiddling with voltages or the base clock.
View: https://imgur.com/a/1yOYPpR
- (Noctua Cooler)

Yeah, I just don't wanna fry my CPU not exactly rolling in enough money to buy another.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
May 15, 2024
I believe you have a NH-D14 cooler which has been discontinued, but represents about the best you can buy, even today.
It is entirely suitable for a I7-7700K even overclocked.
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/INTEL-Core-i7-7700K-288

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d14/specification

It is suitable for any modern processor you can buy today, and Noctua will send you a updated mounting kit for any new motherboard.

Good job for buying quality.
That is my cooler for sure.

So to overclock should I just increase voltage and etc in msi afterburner?

May 15, 2024
No, when in the bios, just raise the multiplier a slowly, a step at a time and test after each increment.
Let the voltage adjust itself.

There are probably some guides on how to do it step by step
Sounds easy enough, so I should monitor CPU temp obviously, anything else to monitor? Also what would be a good place to stop for CPU temps.

Sounds easy enough, so I should monitor CPU temp obviously, anything else to monitor? Also what would be a good place to stop for CPU temps.
The temperature should take care of itself. Probably at 100c.
When you test, test for stability.
As in everything, don't get greedy.
How well you can do is dependent on how lucky you were in getting a good chip.

May 15, 2024
The temperature should take care of itself. Probably at 100c.
When you test, test for stability.
As in everything, don't get greedy.
How well you can do is dependent on how lucky you were in getting a good chip.
Stability just being crashes and performance drops?