[SOLVED] Any Game I get from Steam Freezes on Launch

Dec 18, 2019
This has been happening on and off for months.
my Specs.
Cpu:Ryzen 5 2600,
GPU:AMD Radeon RX 570
Ram:16gb
MB: MSI B450 Tomahawk
Windows 64 bit home.

Occasionally I will be able to play games like fallout 4, destiny 2, Any CoD, etc. really anything. But after a few days, it will stop, and almost every game from steam will freeze on launch. Other games from other sources work like League of Legends or Minecraft. Even Age of Empires 2 from disc works, but not from steam.

For a while it seemed the startup utilities were causing this, and after some finagling, I was able to get them working. But then it just stopped. I have turned everything off, run in Compatibility mode tried every combination of applications, and have now reformatted my machine 3 times. I'm giving so close to giving up. I have tried updating drivers, and have gone through 8 versions for my GPU with all the above combinations, to no result. Can someone at least explain why it just stops working?

I thought it was mod loaders, but removing and scrubbing files did not fix my problem.
Any help is welcome and will be tried until I fix this problem.
And I do plan on upgrading my GPU at a later point. Despite that what I have should and has in the past allowed me to play all of the games I have purchased.

Solution
I have seen Bios updates for improved Destiny 2 performance for other mobo brands. Not saying it's likely your issue because Bios update notes from Msi don't mention as such, but could it be? Not for Destiny specifically but maybe something else. In your situation, perhaps try all stops. If haven't yet, update Bios, load Bios defaults afterwards and install the latest chipset driver.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is there anything you install after formatting? Like virus, monitoring, keyboard/ mouse software?

Do you copy Steam files or apps folder back after Windows reinstall? If you do, have you tried clearing downloads cache in Steam?

Have you turned off Steam overlay in launch properties?

Have you tried running Steam as administrator?

Dec 18, 2019
Is there anything you install after formatting? Like virus, monitoring, keyboard/ mouse software?

Do you copy Steam files or apps folder back after Windows reinstall? If you do, have you tried clearing downloads cache in Steam?

Have you turned off Steam overlay in launch properties?

Have you tried running Steam as administrator?
After I formatting I have literally gotten on Edge, got steam and games, and still had it not work. and I have wiped drives with 2 of the reformattings just in case it did have issues in saved files.
Luckily this PC is just for games, so no Vital Documents or files.
And I have tried it with steam in Admin, and compatibility back to windows 7.
Turning off Overlays is one of the first things I do regardless. But I have tried it on and off and still cannot get this to work.
I've come here after almost 2 weeks of straight trying

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I have seen Bios updates for improved Destiny 2 performance for other mobo brands. Not saying it's likely your issue because Bios update notes from Msi don't mention as such, but could it be? Not for Destiny specifically but maybe something else. In your situation, perhaps try all stops. If haven't yet, update Bios, load Bios defaults afterwards and install the latest chipset driver.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 18, 2019
I will try it and report

Dec 18, 2019
So, After doing some finagling with the Bios, right before I flashed I turned off the WHQL support and tried a final boot. Once It loaded in everything worked perfectly. I have no idea how this would interrupt the drivers, but I guess it was doing it somehow... Either way everything seems to be working fine now that it is disabled...