Question Any good CAD software out there?

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I'm wanting to design a case for the raspberry pi that I own, but can't find a case that suits my needs

So that being said, I want to kind of design one that fits my needs

FreeCAD.

To learn how to use, The youtube channels I recommend for beginners is Mangojelly and ... <just search for FreeCAD beginners there is many youtube videos out there>

Also I've got a lot of help from users on the official FreeCAD user forum from when I start learning it.

USAFRet

Titan
Any good CAD software out there?
Rhino3D.
But...an individual license is ~$900, so that may be out of your budget.

Free?
FreeCAD, SketchUp. You could even do it in Blender.

But no matter which tool, the main thing is wrapping your head around working in 3D space.

FreeCAD, SketchUp. You could even do it in Blender.
Yes probably all mentioned 3D programs.

However, in this case - a box that is meant to hold a pcb card with hard fixed dimensions, I'l advocate for FreeCAD over Blender (but I may not be complete unbiased here as I've spend time learning the basic of FreeCAD but not Blender).

In Freecad, I'd looking for a workflow (oversimplified) like this:
- Make a body (term fora object with a clear 3D boundary) with known dimensions - not necessarily a true copy with all details but must consist of pcb board, screw holes and all objects that the box must be formed around.
- Use binders so that you can relate to this dimensions when you construct the box and lid.

Reactions: LinuxDevice
Fusion360 has a free version as long as your not "making money" off it, Ive been using it for 3-4 years now. It will also export straight to Cura (free slicer program to 3d print) or any other slicer program. You can also export the file to desktop if you need to send it somewhere.

Last edited:

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Fusion360 has a free version as long as your not "making money" off it, Ive been using it for 3-4 years now. It will also export straight to Cura (free slicer program to 3d print) or any other slicer program. You can also export the file to desktop if you need to send it somewhere.
Do you have a link, the ones that I've searched for look like they're free trials