Question Any good reasons to wait on my 2nd build?

Jun 19, 2024
I have a question for the experts and those who are more in touch with the current technology out there now as well as what's coming in the near future. Are there any compelling reasons to delay my new build until later this year? New/better products on the horizon in 2024? I tend to use my computers a minimum of 5 years, so it has to be somewhat future proof.

My current rig was my first build 5-6 years ago: Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, 8700k, 32GB, GTX 1080 TI.

My proposed new build: Not 100% locked into these parts, just a starting point.

Proc: i7-13700k (I've read about the differences, AMD vs. Intel (power consumption, heat, etc.), but I prefer to stick with Intel)
Cooler: Lian Li Galahad II Performance OR NZXT Kraken Elite 360 (I know there's less expensive good ones, but I love the RGB pumps on these, and willing to pay for it)
MB: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite X AX
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB 7200 CL 34 (also considering 6400 CL 32 if 7200 is overkill)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB x 2
Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow
GPU: Open (I haven't read good reviews on RTX 4070 Ti's, so I'm waiting it out for any RTX 4080 reductions, IF it ever happens)
PS: Corsair RM850x (also considering EVGA Supernova 850 G7)

PCPartPicker

I mainly game in 1440p using as close to ultra settings as possible while streaming my gameplay, discord, several tabs open while maybe having a movie running on one of the 4 monitors. It's my everyday computer, so I run some productivity programs sometimes but nothing too intense.

Suggestions are always appreciated, but that's kind of what I'm thinking on my new build.

Considering what might be launched or improved later this year, would it be wise to wait it out or start moving forward in this build.

Thank you

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should look into the 14th Gen, the 13th gen will be pushed of the market with the 14th Gen given favorable prices. Galahad if you're looking into a Lian Li Case, otherwise look into a Corsair AIO since you picked a Corsair case. I would stick within 6000~6600MHz with two sticks of ram, at best, tight latency is good/a plus.

You forgot to state your location and budget for your build.

Are there any compelling reasons to delay my new build until later this year?
if you start playing the wait game for better hardware options, you may as well just wait forever.
while if you are happy with the performance you get now, there would actually be no harm in waiting for the possibility that prices will drop on current options.

it's mostly up to how happy you are with the current setup and how much you really want to jump to better options with better performance.

i built my current system in later 2021 jumping from a similar 8700K/1080 Ti setup and the performance increase was very substantial.
moving up to what is currently available in the same class will be a huge step up for you.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jun 19, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should look into the 14th Gen, the 13th gen will be pushed of the market with the 14th Gen given favorable prices. Galahad if you're looking into a Lian Li Case, otherwise look into a Corsair AIO since you picked a Corsair case. I would stick within 6000~6600MHz with two sticks of ram, at best, tight latency is good/a plus.

You forgot to state your location and budget for your build.
Will do. I will look at the 14700k. I don't really have a budget, but not too crazy. $2000 - $2300 is a good starting point. I live in Tustin, CA.

Thank you for the advice.

I have a question for the experts and those who are more in touch with the current technology out there now as well as what's coming in the near future. Are there any compelling reasons to delay my new build until later this year? New/better products on the horizon in 2024? I tend to use my computers a minimum of 5 years, so it has to be somewhat future proof.

My current rig was my first build 5-6 years ago: Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, 8700k, 32GB, GTX 1080 TI.

My proposed new build: Not 100% locked into these parts, just a starting point.

Proc: i7-13700k (I've read about the differences, AMD vs. Intel (power consumption, heat, etc.), but I prefer to stick with Intel)
Cooler: Lian Li Galahad II Performance OR NZXT Kraken Elite 360 (I know there's less expensive good ones, but I love the RGB pumps on these, and willing to pay for it)
MB: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite X AX
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB 7200 CL 34 (also considering 6400 CL 32 if 7200 is overkill)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB x 2
Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow
GPU: Open (I haven't read good reviews on RTX 4070 Ti's, so I'm waiting it out for any RTX 4080 reductions, IF it ever happens)
PS: Corsair RM850x (also considering EVGA Supernova 850 G7)

PCPartPicker

I mainly game in 1440p using as close to ultra settings as possible while streaming my gameplay, discord, several tabs open while maybe having a movie running on one of the 4 monitors. It's my everyday computer, so I run some productivity programs sometimes but nothing too intense.

Suggestions are always appreciated, but that's kind of what I'm thinking on my new build.

Considering what might be launched or improved later this year, would it be wise to wait it out or start moving forward in this build.

Thank you
Hey there,

That's a pretty solid build. All good components. I don't see very much I'd change, but one or two reommendations.

On the GPU, I'd prob be thinking a little highger. The 4080 Super as a good starting point. There are some games coming out and currently out, like Immortals of Aveum, that need serious GPU grunt, and 16gb is a min IMO. For that game in particular, your looking at 1440p High settings and prob about 150+ FPS with 1% low dips to about 100fps. So go stronger there rather than the vanilla 4070 Ti. Maybe the 4070 TI Super at a push. It has 16gb vram, which you will defo need.

PSU, I'd go a little stronger too. The CPU can draw up to 253w. That in of itself is fine, but the GPU can also draw up to 320w, with occasional transient power spikes a good bit above that. I'd suggest a good 1000w unit. RMX is very solid. There are other good models that are on the 3.0 spec, which is the latest tech. So maybe that's a consdieration for future proofing (I hate that term) or transferring to new builds. Here's a few newer models to look at: https://hwbusters.com/best_picks/best-atxv3-pcie5-ready-psus-picks-hardware-busters/5/

Will like to see what other users come back with and their recommendations. You may have opoened a pandoras box :)

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

g-unit1111

Titan
Will do. I will look at the 14700k. I don't really have a budget, but not too crazy. $2000 - $2300 is a good starting point. I live in Tustin, CA.

Thank you for the advice.

You should be able to get a more than capable PC for that price. I would look at the 7800X3D too, especially since there's new AMD CPUs coming soon and any AM5 board will have an upgrade path to the new CPUs.

Are you buying from Micro Center by any chance?