[SOLVED] Any good tips to preserve Li-ion batteries in devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
This is what I do to take care of the battery in my phone and other devices with Li-ion batteries:
  • I avoid deep discharges, especially below 60% , I plug it all the time.
  • Once topped up to 100%, I unplug it, to avoid micro charge cycles.
  • I avoid any kind of fast charging and stick to either wireless charging or using a lower amperage charger, as quick charging stresses the battery despite its convenience.
  • I avoid high temperatures, like charging on my car dash with sun hitting the phone.
I'd welcome any opinions, this is what I advice when asked.

Last edited:
Solution
https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

The short of it is:
  • Higher temperatures degrade battery capacity faster
  • Keeping the battery at or close to 100% degrades the capacity faster
    • Most chargers will bring the lithium battery up to 4.1-4.2V, despite 3.9V being the optimal nominal open-circuit voltage
    • Phones and laptops do have features to stop charging the battery at a certain percentage. For instance, my laptop's battery stops charging at 60% because I mostly use it when plugged in. My phone also has a charge limit at 85%.
  • Avoid discharging the battery to the point where the device can no longer power up.
On a tangent, I retired my Galaxy S10+ after about...

USAFRet

Titan
Adding on to this question, usage and cycling.

Given 1 consumption device and 3x batteries:
Is it better to use/charge/use/charge one battery until it is dead, then use #2 until dead, then #3.
Or
Is it better to rotate #1, 2, 3 in a regular rotation.
Or
Does it not really make a difference.

Speaking of a usage discharge to below 40%, twice a week.
Asking this in the context of flying a quadrotor.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

The short of it is:
  • Higher temperatures degrade battery capacity faster
  • Keeping the battery at or close to 100% degrades the capacity faster
    • Most chargers will bring the lithium battery up to 4.1-4.2V, despite 3.9V being the optimal nominal open-circuit voltage
    • Phones and laptops do have features to stop charging the battery at a certain percentage. For instance, my laptop's battery stops charging at 60% because I mostly use it when plugged in. My phone also has a charge limit at 85%.
  • Avoid discharging the battery to the point where the device can no longer power up.
On a tangent, I retired my Galaxy S10+ after about three years of use. In my normal usage (which I'd say is moderate, but not average), the phone at the end of the day floated around 55-65%, from around 65%-70% when it was brand new. So take these guidelines as just that, guidelines. As long as you're not subjecting your phone to adverse conditions all the time, you're not going to kill the battery after 2 years.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.