Question Any long range Bluetooth USB adapters to use with Dualshock 4?

arbak.martirosyan

Reputable
Dec 28, 2018
I've got Oriko bluetooth 4.0, and when I try to use it to play games on a TV, that's connected to PC in another room via the HDMI cable getting through the hole in the wall, it just disconnects. The distance itself is not very far - 4 meters, but the wall probably blocks the signal, and the other "path" via room door is too long.
TLDR: Suggestions for really long range/strong signal bluetooth usb adapters?

Lutfij

Titan
You need to understand that when walls or even hollow partitions come into play the signal strength and transmission decreases. To add, we're going to need a floor plan of your house in order to understand how you're setup and if dropping more money helps solve the issue. Furthermore, using a USB cable that's long doesn't help much in terms of latency. Might want to see if your USB/chipset drivers are in order and that you don't have a BIOS and OS update pending for your PC.

Where did you source the drivers for your BT adapter?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Have you considered a dongle on a USB extension cable running through that same hole?

I used the DualShock 3 alongside an ASUS Bluetooth dongle. I was able to program the dongle to pair with SCP toolkit (I think is the name of it) and then plugged that into a 6' USB cable for use in a situation very much like yours. It worked well to ~18' so long as it had clear line of site to the dongle.

arbak.martirosyan

Reputable
Dec 28, 2018
You need to understand that when walls or even hollow partitions come into play the signal strength and transmission decreases. To add, we're going to need a floor plan of your house in order to understand how you're setup and if dropping more money helps solve the issue. Furthermore, using a USB cable that's long doesn't help much in terms of latency. Might want to see if your USB/chipset drivers are in order and that you don't have a BIOS and OS update pending for your PC.

Where did you source the drivers for your BT adapter?

Hi. So here's the layout of these rooms / floor plan.
j3Fj0Kb.jpeg

Bluetooth drivers for this dongle are from Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.
No major updates pending on PC, Windows 10.

Have you considered a dongle on a USB extension cable running through that same hole?

I used the DualShock 3 alongside an ASUS Bluetooth dongle. I was able to program the dongle to pair with SCP toolkit (I think is the name of it) and then plugged that into a 6' USB cable for use in a situation very much like yours. It worked well to ~18' so long as it had clear line of site to the dongle.

I haven't, but that actually might help. A 1.5 meter / 5 feet long USB extension cable will get the dongle to the other side of the wall, and latency, theoretically, will be minimum in that case.