[SOLVED] Any reason to wait for new 2022 PSUs

monge89

Prominent
Aug 6, 2020
I'm planning on buying a new PSU soon for an HTPC, with room for gaming expansion in the future. I've narrowed my list to a few options with the Corsair RM750x at the top of the list. However, I could easily wait a couple months before purchasing, so I'm wondering if any new and improved options from Corsair or other brands are nearing release. Should I buy now or wait a bit?

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
I would do, because they are adding new PCIe 5 power connector. As far as I know Corsair RM750x does not have it yet.
You don't need a PSU-side 12VHPRWR connector, an after market cable with 2x PSU-side 8-pin would work just fine, probably even more reliably in the long run than 12VHPRWR due to lower thermal density. And since nVidia 12-pin is the same thing, just without 4-pin, it will work for GPUs using 12VHPRWR that only need 300W, and for those that would need 450/600W modes, it's a simple matter of shorting 'data' pins on that 4-pin appendix to ground, i.e doesn't really need any modifications in the PSU itself.
What would however need to be different in 'next-gen' PSUs to be able to work with GPUs that would really need 600W, without needing to get a 1.2kW+ PSU, is more secondary capacitance to accommodate for higher transient power draw peaks which are in the PCIe 5 standard (2.5x nominal power draw at 1ms, 3x nominal at 100us, i.e 1.2-1.8kW), which to my knowledge none of low wattage PSUs have addressed yet. Some designs may work, but it's too early to say anything concrete. So yeah, well, if you don't need a new PSU today - get a new PSU that's confirmed to be able to work with next gen GPUs when you'll need it.

It is usually better to buy just before you plan to use a product.
  1. In the event that the product is defective, you can test and return it in time.
  2. There is always the possibility of buyers remorse if a newer/better/cheaper product becomes available.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Thanks. Any word on specific PSUs with PCIe 5 connectors, and guesses on when they'll be available? Are we talking March/April release or August/September?
You can google and check yourself, what I saw new models already emerged, but it would be better to wait a bit if you can, so that all new models from different manufacturers show up and defective models are fixed.

Thanks. Any word on specific PSUs with PCIe 5 connectors, and guesses on when they'll be available? Are we talking March/April release or August/September?

99% of PSUs out there aren't going to come with the connector. 99% of the PSUs out there will likely leverage an adapter (like two 8-pin or three 8-pin to one 12+4-pin, for example).

The PSUs currently showing a 12+4-pin on them are rendered vaporware.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
are you serious? isn't using adapters like that for high amps PCI-E a big no-no on this board?
I fully expect Toms Hardware review would list lack of native (one-piece) 12+4 connector as a big "AGAINST".
Adaptors would probably be there and work fine with GPUs these are not that power hungry.

But if I buy a RTX 4090, I would want to use it with a new at least 1000 Watt PSU with PCIe 5 connector.

are you serious? isn't using adapters like that for high amps PCI-E a big no-no on this board?
I fully expect Toms Hardware review would list lack of native (one-piece) 12+4 connector as a big "AGAINST".

Yes, I'm serious. Derp de derpty derp derp. Jesus.

I'm talking about something that plugs directly into 8-pin connectors already native to specific PSUs. You do realize the +4 are just sense pins looking for a ground (just two of them for consumer cards) and that most 8-pin connectors on the PSU itself can support upwards of 336W each if 16g HCS terminals are use.

FFS.....

From what you're saying, you're expecting 3.0mm pitch micro-fit terminals will automagically support more current than a 4.2mm pitch mini-fit jr. If Tom's says "against" for using that crap connector on the PSU side, I'd fully expect them to get lambasted by anyone that's ever studied any level of EE.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
99% of PSUs out there aren't going to come with the connector. 99% of the PSUs out there will likely leverage an adapter (like two 8-pin or three 8-pin to one 12+4-pin, for example).

The PSUs currently showing a 12+4-pin on them are rendered vaporware.

Yes, I'm serious. Derp de derpty derp derp. Jesus.

I'm talking about something that plugs directly into 8-pin connectors already native to specific PSUs. You do realize the +4 are just sense pins looking for a ground (just two of them for consumer cards) and that most 8-pin connectors on the PSU itself can support upwards of 336W each if 16g HCS terminals are use.

FFS.....

From what you're saying, you're expecting 3.0mm pitch micro-fit terminals will automagically support more current than a 4.2mm pitch mini-fit jr. If Tom's says "against" for using that crap connector on the PSU side, I'd fully expect them to get lambasted by anyone that's ever studied any level of EE.

I thought you meant new PSUs won't come with a PCIE-5 ready connector (that you described in the quoted post), but come with an extension type connector that chains multiple 8 pins into PCIE5. I don't know how to interpret your first post otherwise.
In that context I don't understand why I am getting this loaded response.
If it was my misunderstanding and somehow I offended you, I apologize. But I am still puzzled :unsure:

EDIT: reading it again, I found what the problem was. My main PSU is Focus GM850 semi modular. And you assumed full modular. So...

Last edited:

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
I thought you meant new PSUs won't come with a PCIE-5 ready connector (that you described in the quoted post), but come with an extension type connector that chains multiple 8 pins into PCIE5

That's exactly what he said. Because :
  1. It's not an adapter, it's a cable with 2/3 x8-pin on PSU side and 12-pin on the GPU side. Yes, you can't do that with a semi-modular PSU, but then, can you expect a supposedly budget semi-modular PSU to be able to support the next gen GPUs which would need that 12-pin cable ? It's very unlikely for any budget GPUs to move to it in the next 5-7 years at least, because there's still a ton of people using old PSUs without said 12-pin cables, and some of them are semi-modular you can't use an aftermarket cable with.
  2. PSU-side 12-pin is just a bad idea because there's a potential for failure of said connector due to higher power density, especially with increased temperatures and/or humidity. We know nothing about their reliability in the long run and 8-pins have proved themselves to be reliable, especially if the PSU uses HCS terminals like most Corsair PSUs do (and none Seasonic PSUs does, those melt by themselves so 12-pin might be an upgrade in this case lol).
  3. 4-pin appendix part of it is just short to ground, so it can be done without having to add a 4-pin on the PSU-side.
  4. By adding 12/12+4-pin connectors on the PSU you're losing space you could've used for other connectors just so you can plug a useless 12-pin to 12-pin cable there (see 1).

Last edited: