[SOLVED] Any settings to change after adding a new RAM stick?

May 18, 2020
Hi,

I had a Corsair 8 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 RAM stick and I bought another 8 GB stick (same brand, configuration and frequency) and installed it on my PC. However the memory my PC uses appear to be the same.

It was 5 GB earlier (when I had 8 GB) and now it's the same even after another 8 GB stick was added.

I read that it's always better if PC utilizes more RAM. Is there something that I can do to ensure my PC is utilizing as much RAM as possible?

My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2.

Thank you

p.png

p.png

Solution
Nope. It's the same old GA-H110M-S2.

I too wondered it earlier as I could see only two slots, although windows and CPU-z both said that I have four and it's CPU-z which reported that my RAM sticks are in slot 1 and 3. Weird lol
Anyway, as long as the total memory shown is 16 GB and you aren't having performance issues, I think you don't need to worry about how much memory is being used. Just make sure that when you actually do something demanding, the RAM is getting used. You could also try swapping the RAM sticks in their slots, but I don't think there really is a problem here.
May 18, 2020
Do you se both sticks in the BIOS? FYI even buying same make and model doesn't guarantee you wont have issues, RAM is best bought in matched kits. However I don't think that's the problem here.

Yeah I see both of them in bios. Not sure if it's related but my paging size is set to 8704 MB. Does it help if I increase it?

Also my maximum memory is unchecked.

Yeah I see both of them in bios. Not sure if it's related but my paging size is set to 8704 MB. Does it help if I increase it?

Also my maximum memory is unchecked.
When you say the memory the system is using is the same, what do you mean? Where are you checking the memory usage, and what are doing while checking it? Idle usage might not change even after upgrading the memory, at least not by too much.

May 18, 2020
May 18, 2020
That's weird, how can you install in slot 1 and 3 (or 2 and 4) if your motherboard only has 2 RAM slots? Have you changed the motherboard from the GA-H110M-S2?

I too wondered it earlier as I could see only two slots, although windows and CPU-z both said that I have four and it's CPU-z which reported that my RAM sticks are in slot 1 and 3. Weird lol

Anyway, as long as the total memory shown is 16 GB and you aren't having performance issues, I think you don't need to worry about how much memory is being used. Just make sure that when you actually do something demanding, the RAM is getting used. You could also try swapping the RAM sticks in their slots, but I don't think there really is a problem here.

Reactions: naser224u
Solution