Any system tweaks to boost cpu? my radeon hd 6670 is bottlenecked.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
My amd radeon hd 6670 is getting bottlecked by my amd athlon x2 3.5ghz (its actually a amd phenom ii 521 3.5ghz from one of the Hp Pavilion p6000 series models. I found out it was just rebranded... -_-...)

are there any tweaks i can do to reduce the bottleneck so i can maybe squeeze a little more fps and reduce the lag spikes without having to buy a whole new processor and motherboard? (motherboard only supports a 95watt tdp so..... -_-)

Well worth every penny. Corsair is the name for RAM really. Always works, almost never goes bad (in fact I have not seen any bad Corsair in my time with PCs) and is always stable at rated specs, sometimes at even lower specs (my XMS2 1066 ran at DDR2 1333 using 4-4-4-12 when it was rated at 5-5-5-18).

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

no way, duel channel will not help.
None of your part seems to bottleneck otherone, your cpu and gpu are not suficient to get 60fps, You need a new gpu + cpu to se difference,
apply patch 1.0.7 to gta4 to see significant fps boost.
I have phenom2 x6 + hd6770 (both overclocked) and i can only get constant 70fps inside and outside at lowest possible settings on gta4 v1.0.0

List the system specification of your friend with cpuz screenshots, it seems that your friend is using a 6770 or better gpu

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

huh, loading times depends on read/wright and random i/o ops of your hdd or ssd, i does not depends on ram.

So what to do.
You can save some pocket money to build a ivy + hd7 or gtx6 setup in second half of this year.

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

hes definently using a 6670 ive seen it. as for the fps in gta 4 he was on a skype call showing his screen to me with fraps running, when he looks all the way down in the interiors his fps can reach over 100.

my friend bought this cyberpower pc http://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPower-1TB-GUA140/16672335 then stuck this 6670 in. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161397

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
:eek: more than 100 fps
even my setup can't get this much fps at lowest possible settings with gpu overclocked to 1000/1400 and cpu to 4ghz on all six cores.

So try patch 1.0.7 for gta4.
Duel channel will only give a max of ~5fps boost (not upto 80fps from 30).

If your friend is using v1.0.0 of gta4 and still getting 100fps at that setup then i think that your friend is lying.

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

hes using patch 2, and no joke. He showed me his screen on a skype call with fraps on so i could see how much fps he was getting and it was really over 100 when he looked down in the interiors.

btw his monitor size is like 1366x768 or something like that. and if windows experience index actually has some sort of meaning, all his scores were over 7.0 except for harddrive which got a 5.9.

yeah, pretty much all drives are 5.9 unless you are using an SDD. WEI means nothing. Just, forget it is even there.

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

Oh okay.... I just feel like it has some sort of purpose behind it because it makes me wonder why that feature would even be in there if its concidered useless... lol

Well, I believe they put it there so you can "see" how good your system is, but really, hardware moves so quickly, and it does a bad job of figuring it out. Plus, who does it on a scale of 0-7.9? Haha :lol:

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

haha, yeah. never really thought about it that way.

That's cause you are using a hd6870 and that CPU..... Also, you have a low resolution. Not any card, just a powerful one like yours. And yes, a more powerful CPU will help him, but his GPU isn't bottlenecking it.

You are right. His GPU may not be bottlenecking but his CPU is holding him back, in GTA4 at least. Not sure about GTA SA, it was out well before multi cored consoles were so it may just be a bug.

Yeah, hate it for myself - talked to folks on here about what to spend my $175 on after Xmas and everyone said a better GPU to play the games I want to. I upgraded from an HD 5670, and there's definitely improvement - I can turn all games up to ultra, but there's still drops and stutters because of my weak CPU. A lot of games are playable, but Dirt 3, Crysis 2 DX11, Prince of Persia, Starcraft II, and Mafia II do not like my dual-core. Getting LGA 1155 ASAP.