Question Any testimonials with the rtx 4090 gpu with the default nvidia cable not melted?

ppdemo

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
As the title says, is there anyone who uses or continues to use the cable that comes by default in the RTX 4090 and has never had any problems with melting or failure? Thank you in advance and I look forward to your testimonies.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What specific cable melting problem(s) have you experienced?

Do you have any photographs to show more about what happened/happens?

What actions have you taken to date with respect to contacting Nvidia and/or other relevant sources? E.g. where the RTX 4090 was purchased?

I suggest that you provide more information including links and other citable sources regarding the subject cable melting problems.

Knowing more about what you experienced with respect to the cables will be helpful to others who may wish to provide additional details and information about what they experienced.

And possible solutions....

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I just ordered a 4090. I have done about 2 days of reading reviews and anything pertaining to the cable melting issue. The 4090 I ordered is an MSI Gaming X Trio. It comes with an adapter that has 3 connectors. This will supply the GPU with 450W maximum. This requires an 850W PSU minimum. There is also the option for people with 1000W or higher PSU's to use an adapter that has 4 connectors and supplies 600W. Each connector is capable of providing 300W but they halve it so that each connector is providing 150W.

If you use a 4 connector adapter with an 850W PSU you will most likely have a melted connector. If you stick to what I just wrote you "shouldn't" have any issues. Also make sure to firmly seat the adapter into the GPU until it clicks.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I would wait on getting a 4090 at this point. RTX 50 will be out soon, and uses a revised power connector that is designed to alleviate the melted cable problem.
From what I have read, the 5000 series won't be out until at least the end of the year, possibly the beginning of 2025. The price is going to be $2000 to $2500 for the 5090. A 4090 is perfectly capable of providing excellent performance for at least the next 1 to 2 generations. If you have the money, buy a 4090. There will always be something better around the corner. It's the nature of PC gaming.

I just ordered a 4090. I have done about 2 days of reading reviews and anything pertaining to the cable melting issue. The 4090 I ordered is an MSI Gaming X Trio. It comes with an adapter that has 3 connectors. This will supply the GPU with 450W maximum. This requires an 850W PSU minimum. There is also the option for people with 1000W or higher PSU's to use an adapter that has 4 connectors and supplies 600W. Each connector is capable of providing 300W but they halve it so that each connector is providing 150W.

If you use a 4 connector adapter with an 850W PSU you will most likely have a melted connector. If you stick to what I just wrote you "shouldn't" have any issues. Also make sure to firmly seat the adapter into the GPU until it clicks.
It's not the adapter or the number of connectors used. It's the connector on the card itself.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
It's not the adapter or the number of connectors used. It's the connector on the card itself.
I haven't come across anything stating that. Where did you see that information? Everything I read states that approximately 1% of 4090's have this issue and it is attributed to people using 4 pin adapters meaning the card is able to draw up to 600W. I have also read that almost all failures are attributed to the connector not being fully seated.

I have also read a lot of reviews of people with 4090's who are not having any problems. Maybe it's a specific card like the founder's edition?

One other option is to limit the power with software like Afterburner. I have also read that when the 4090 is only connected by 3 plugs, it doesn't draw much more than 430W.

Allowing the card to draw 600W with 4 plug adapters was a bad idea. They never should have done that when the card is rated at 450W. Probably lots of people with PSU's that can't handle that much additional wattage thought it was ok to overclock.

In my opinion, all of this could have been avoided by using the correct gauge wiring. I went to automotive school and have professional training in wiring in regards to gauge, ohm's, amps, volts, etc. One time I was fooling around with an actuator on an electric wheelchair. I hooked up my home made leads from a battery to the actuator. The actuator was frozen. The sleeving on the leads went up like someone lit a dynamite fuse leaving nothing but bare wire. I'm guessing the wiring on most of these adapters is 14 to 16 gauge. That's not much for 450W never mind 600W.

Last edited: