[SOLVED] Any thoughts on this sub-$800 lower-mid-tier build plan?

Jun 10, 2020
Hi guys, just new to forum as I plan to build my own system and trying to see what others would think of in terms of bottlenecking, overall build quality, etc. Being not so much of a gaming enthusiast I'm looking to shell out under $800 for a system in which I'll pretty much use to run some medium-level publishing, graphic design and CAD suites (oh boy, the latest edition of these stuff do surely take a toll on my embattled Lenovo) and the occasional AAA gaming installed with quite some third-party mods for my son to dig in after school.

Not saying that he's a gaming freak either, but he does love vehicle simulation stuff and plays modded GTA V, Trainz, FSX and a bunch of other things where having control of one's vehicle is a key feature. I reckon that the upcoming FS2020 might be a thing he'll ask for but I have reservation on whether or not it will run smoothly on the system I'm trying to build. Nonetheless, I plan to hook it up to the existing 1080 display as I'm not looking to go 4K anytime.

The caveat is that I don't live in the US so pricing may be a bit quirky but I'm listing them in US$ equivalent anyway. Would also appreciate if anyone can hint me on whether or not I've gotten a good / bad deal pricewise on some of the components below:

Item Spec Price ($)
Case Infinity Twins Micro ATX triple-fan 23.21
Motherboard ASRock H310CM HDV LGA 1151 62.14
Processor Intel i5 9400F 161.57
HDD Pioneer APS-SL3N 1TB SSD SATA3 120.71
GPU Zotac GTX 1660 Super 6GB 258.21
RAM Patriot Viper Steel 2x8GB DDR4 3000 71.07
PSU Corsair CX550 550W 63.21
Total inclusive of shipping & handling 760.14

Thanks!

Solution
Looks like a solid build for a 1080p display.

You can however cut corners a little bit and buy a 2TB HDD and a 120/240GB SSD rather than a 1TB ssd

Download games onto your hdd and OS onto SSD. Cheaper and more space for a lower, or a similar price point.

If theres something i'd suggest for you to also change is the case.
Go for something like the Fractal Design Focus G, better airflow and quieter fans.
Looks like a solid build for a 1080p display.

You can however cut corners a little bit and buy a 2TB HDD and a 120/240GB SSD rather than a 1TB ssd

Download games onto your hdd and OS onto SSD. Cheaper and more space for a lower, or a similar price point.

If theres something i'd suggest for you to also change is the case.
Go for something like the Fractal Design Focus G, better airflow and quieter fans.

Solution
Jun 10, 2020
Hi @puw2 , thanks for your input. I'll definitely put an additional HDD and scale down the SSD as it seems I can end up with lower price point.

I do like the cool mesh design of the Focus G case, but it kinda looks bulky as compared to what I'll be putting inside with all of these unused expansion slots and 5.25" bays. Well perhaps a roomy interior might help with practicality of heat dissipation? I'll still look into it later though.