Question Any VPN providers have a Windows Client with a Silent install option?

Feb 17, 2022
I want to automate that into a startup of my Windows Sandbox sessions.

So far, I have tried 4 vendors and they don't think silent installs are important. I am now sending emails to some of them instead of paying for them and needed to get a refund. -Bill

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Push installs are absolutely a thing, depending on your environment.
Active Directory, GPO, etc, etc...

On my office PC, everything is pushed from the network.
Office, AV, VPN clients, Windows updates and versions, etc, etc.

For YOUR environment, his depends on your level of access and control over the employees systems.

Feb 17, 2022
I know how to automate sandbox installs. I need a VPN service that supports a silent install so I can auto install it too. I just need to know what company has a client that can do a push install so I can automate it.
Push installs are absolutely a thing, depending on your environment.
Active Directory, GPO, etc, etc...

On my office PC, everything is pushed from the network.
Office, AV, VPN clients, Windows updates and versions, etc, etc.

For YOUR environment, his depends on your level of access and control over the employees systems.

What VPN client do you use that can be pushed?

USAFRet

Titan
I know how to automate sandbox installs. I need a VPN service that supports a silent install so I can auto install it too. I just need to know what company has a client that can do a push install so I can automate it.

What VPN client do you use that can be pushed?
Installation of a VPN client on teh users PC is little different than installation of any other application.

Feb 17, 2022
not really, I pushed many application installs by gpo over the last 20 years. And automated install was just that. Basically all the same. doing it on a sandbox would be exactly the same thing. other than maybe a required reboot.

Ralston18

Titan
Reference:

"The rest was an examples of why silent installs might be needed by others..."

As I understand your post "others" do not need or want VPN - correct? What is their reasoning and basis for not wanting VPN?

And, even if they do not want VPN do you intend to silently push VPN out anyway?

Again who owns the laptops? What is the business case for silently pushing VPN to the sales folks?

It seems to me that that the first objective is to honestly convince ("sell") the sales folks that VPN will truly help them in some manner.

Per the other posts, getting VPN out there is not the issue. Certainly not a technical issue.

What about my other questions....?

Feb 17, 2022
Reference:

"The rest was an examples of why silent installs might be needed by others..."

As I understand your post "others" do not need or want VPN - correct? What is their reasoning and basis for not wanting VPN?

And, even if they do not want VPN do you intend to silently push VPN out anyway?

Again who owns the laptops? What is the business case for silently pushing VPN to the sales folks?

It seems to me that that the first objective is to honestly convince ("sell") the sales folks that VPN will truly help them in some manner.

Per the other posts, getting VPN out there is not the issue. Certainly not a technical issue.

What about my other questions....?

I am just looking to find a VPN with a Silent install option for Automating Windows Sandbox. There are no others, no reason to answer any of those questions due to them not being required to install a VPN on a windows sandbox automatically. I will remove the "examples" from the OP so its not so confusing. (If I can)

Feb 17, 2022
@USAFRet Most windows applications have a -silent option so they can be push installed via GPO or anyother push installer, we've been doing that for more than 20 years. Sandbox lets you auto install apps I want available when I bring up a Windows Sandbox, like Firefox etc. Each time you click on the Windows Sandbox app it spins up a new empty VM when you close it, everything is gone. Perfect scenario to click on an unknown weblink or to manually install a new application before installing it on your PC. Windows Sandbox is built into Windows 10 Pro and above. Although I hear there might be a way to us it in the Home version to. But none of that is relevant to finding a VPN provider who's client has a silent install option.