Any way to connecting an old USB printer (non wireless/no ethernet port) to network ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stilllikeit

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
Halo to all

Here's my problem. I have an EPSON Stylus Office BX305F. It is not wireless and has no ethernet connection (only RJ45 for fax operation). Problem is my desktop PC and VDSL modem are placed in another room of the house, and connecting the printer with USB cable is not possible.

My question is if there's any way to make the printer visible through network, so i can print directly from my PC (now i have to copy files to laptop, and then move laptop where the printer is placed and connect through USB. but it's a bit frustrating having to do that regularly).

If i get a wifi repeater (or powerline) with USB port and then connect the printer on it, would that work ? (i suspect not, but still had to ask). Or a wireless printer server ?

Could i use a second router that will connect wirelessly to the first one, and then connect printer to second router's USB ?

If nothing of the above is possible, does anyone know of another way that could help, or should i just check for a new wireless printer ?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
^perhaps that, or...

I had a small NAS that had the ability to hook to and run printer driver.

If you have another computer near that equipment you can hook the printer to it and use a printer share. Same for any manner of old unused computer in the house. It doesn't take much to run a printer share.
I am pretty sure there are devices you can buy to emulate the above situation, but will say this. The last printer I purchased is a Brother all in one type device with built in wireless and cost me about $50. It's been bulletproof and (some of) the cheap cartridges work well in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS