Question Any Way to disconnect or close files

naviseyer

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Small Family owned business Running Windows 2012R2 using 2 Hyper V Drives . We have roughly 20 users .
Running into an issue with files staying open after users log out or sign off . The problem becomes other users trying to access the same files . Currently the copy the file to the workstation but this is starting to create issues with files not being updated correctly or having multiples of the same file with different changes made by different users . Is there anyway to automate going to Computer management and closing all open files once or twice a day ? is there any alternative work around that would allow for users to open and edit a file if its already locked open by another user.

Thanks for any info

naviseyer

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Mostly PDF's but it hapens with excel and word docs ... Sometimes it even happens with Drawings which are done with CADD .

USAFRet

Titan
This sounds like an issue of users not closing/exiting the file or application when they are done with it.
Is this correct?

While you might be able to devise an autoclose thing, I imagine that WILL bite someone in the butt eventually. Closing when they're not ready.

And out side some specific platforms, multiple users editing the same file is not going to happen.

Reactions: Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
There are ways to find and close open files.

Powershell can do so.

Reference:

https://sid-500.com/2017/09/11/powershell-find-open-files-smb-share/

A script of some sort most likely.

The details matter and, in full agreement with @USAFRet, it is very likely that someone will get bit "in the butt".

Whatever is worked out should include some solid backup and file recover planning.

And I also recommend some end user training. Tough when it comes to small family businesses but necessary.

And out side some specific platforms, multiple users editing the same file is not going to happen.
Thing is, all file types mentioned by the OP except the CADD ones, are exactly the kinds that can be simultaneously edited using platforms like Sharepoint Online.

Whether or not it's actually a good idea to have real-time co-authoring where any changes by anybody instantly shows up in everybody's open document as they happen is best left for the OP to decide, but the document will never be locked or go out of sync.

USAFRet

Titan
Thing is, all file types mentioned by the OP except the CADD ones, are exactly the kinds that can be simultaneously edited using platforms like Sharepoint Online.

Whether or not it's actually a good idea to have real-time co-authoring where any changes by anybody instantly shows up in everybody's open document as they happen is best left for the OP to decide, but the document will never be locked or go out of sync.
SharePoint is exactly one of those "specific platforms" I was referring to.

However, an SP instance is not for the faint hearted.
I am a senior dev for a large (130k+ users) SharePoint farm, and it is not a trivial thing to administer.
That would be a full time job for someone.