Any way to pull data from a dying HDD w/o sending it to a tech?

Darzk

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
My Game-installations HDD just died on me. Pretty abrupt, no clicking indicating physical failure but I can barely access the files on it and can't get into certain directories at all. Had a few of the typical

Not a huge deal, the drive is still under warranty so sending off a RMA. And most of the data is just game installations I can redo and some TV I'll have to download again (like a terrabyte of TV ./cry) But unfortunately I had Steam installed on that drive, and I can't seem to access that folder to grab the screenshots stored there.

I hadn't thought to include the Steam SS folder in my regular backups (My Pictures is backed up so I've got the game SS (F6) shots saved but not the Steam (F12) ones), so I've got no backups for them.

I don't think I'm willing to drop the 400-1200 bucks most places charge for data recovery for some pictures, but I'd really hate to lose them.

Anyone know of any software that might be able to go in and get some of those files for me? I've had a suggestion to boot to Ubuntu and do something from there but have no idea how to go about doing that.

Accessing the D:/Games/Steam folder:
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u46/kram92590/SteamUnreadable.png~original

Finally, another issue with the same drive - I have a folder of SS's from another game, which I can access, and even open the pictures to look at them, but seem to be unable to transfer to another drive. I think Windows Transfer is getting hung up on bad sectors and stalling out the whole process, it just sits at 0%.

Is there any software or DOS transfer command that can drag+drop only the non-damaged files to prevent getting caught on the broken ones?

Darzk

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

Gave it a shot, but it can't open the Steam folder either.
Tried transferring the files it found in the second issue, but stalled as well; eventually came back uncompleted transfer.

I'm now making a copy of the drive onto a fresh HDD to prevent further degradation.

TRENDING THREADS