[SOLVED] Any way to recover a disk that had an aborted formatting done on it?

Sky_Render

Prominent
Jun 27, 2020
So we have a drive that was accidentally set to format, and the process was forcibly halted at 1%. However, that process appears to have removed the ability to set that drive in Windows 10 (at least as useable; it claims the drive needs to be formatted first). Is there any way to recover the drive? TestDisk was unable to recover the partition, but it was run with default settings, if that helps any. Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
How do you mean? The partition table is located at a specific address which tells the system all the specific addresses of the partitions.
CHS determines the physical location of these addresses.
The maximum capacity that can be represented by CHS numbers is 8.4GB (1024 cylinders, 256 heads, 63 sectors).

https://thestarman.pcministry.com/asm/mbr/PartTables.htm

This is the partition table for a 160GB HDD. You can see that the second partition has identical first and last CHS values, so they are meaningless.

Code:
 LBA:0                  block: 0
 Disk identifier (Windows):
 0DDC0DDBh
 Boot  System ID   :   First    :    Last    : Relative : Number of:
 Flag              :Cyl Head Sec:Cyl Head Sec:  Sector  :  Sectors :
 80h...
There are other tools like testdisk that you could try, some are even free to use, look for unformat on google.
Otherwise if testdisk or some other tool can see the files you will have to copy all the files (at least all the ones you want to keep) to a different disk and then properly format the problematic drive to make it work correctly again.

Sky_Render

Prominent
Jun 27, 2020
Well we tried using PhotoRec, and it couldn't find any files on the drive. I'm hesitant to tell Windows to do a format on the partition, as I'm fairly certain that any potential residual data on the drive will be wiped if I do that...

How do you mean? The partition table is located at a specific address which tells the system all the specific addresses of the partitions.
CHS determines the physical location of these addresses.
The maximum capacity that can be represented by CHS numbers is 8.4GB (1024 cylinders, 256 heads, 63 sectors).

https://thestarman.pcministry.com/asm/mbr/PartTables.htm

This is the partition table for a 160GB HDD. You can see that the second partition has identical first and last CHS values, so they are meaningless.

Code:
 LBA:0                  block: 0
 Disk identifier (Windows):
 0DDC0DDBh
 Boot  System ID   :   First    :    Last    : Relative : Number of:
 Flag              :Cyl Head Sec:Cyl Head Sec:  Sector  :  Sectors :
 80h 07h NTFS/exFAT:   0   1  1 :1023 254 63 :        63: 311636929:   160 GB
 00h 27h ??        :1023 254 63 :1023 254 63 : 311638016:    921600:   472 MB
 00h 00h           :   0   0  0 :   0   0  0 :         0:         0:        0
 00h 00h           :   0   0  0 :   0   0  0 :         0:         0:        0
 MBR signature (0xAA55):
 AA55h

Solution

Sky_Render

Prominent
Jun 27, 2020
We were able to pull data off of one partition on the drive, but nothing from the big partition where most everything was stored. It's an SSD, and I'm a bit worried that the easy-to-wipe nature of SSDs may well have nipped us in the behind here...

bandit8623

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2013
We were able to pull data off of one partition on the drive, but nothing from the big partition where most everything was stored. It's an SSD, and I'm a bit worried that the easy-to-wipe nature of SSDs may well have nipped us in the behind here...
depends on how it was "formatted" secure wipe sends a voltage spike through the data. if it was a standard quick format (it just wiped the table). minitool would likely be able to save data on the fast format one. if secure wiped data is probably gone.