[SOLVED] Anybody recommend a reliable USB A to C adapter which supports 10Gbps?

Solution
Same thing. Usb superspeed uses single Rx and Tx. Superspeed+ (usb3.2 Gen2) uses double Rx and Tx. Each = 5Gbps. So counting 1 lane in 1 direction, all usb is 5Gbps, but some vendors will claim 10Gbps (both directions) as it sounds bigger. Only 3.2 Gen2 IS bigger since it doubles the lanes for upload/download for a total of 4 lanes vs prior which used just 2.

So depending on view, whether you count download or upload or both, 5Gbps and 10Gbps are the same. You need usb3.2 Gen2 to get 10Gbps one way.

Haven't seen a usb-c to usb3.2 Gen2 yet. They are all type C to 3.0/3.1 Gen 1.

Bassquake

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019
That's because it's advertised for USB 3.0 or USB 3.x Gen 1. You need to find something that's rated for USB 3.x Gen 2.
I already know that. The link I gave was an example. It just looks identical as original seller no longer available. The one I got said it was 10gbps which it very occasionally sometimes does do. But like I said was far too unreliable in not detecting the usb SSD adapter I'd connect to it. Tried multiple SSD adapters and would fail on most.

I already know that. The link I gave was an example. It just looks identical as original seller no longer available. The one I got said it was 10gbps which it very occasionally sometimes does do. But like I said was far too unreliable in not detecting the usb SSD adapter I'd connect to it. Tried multiple SSD adapters and would fail on most.
Then which one do you have so we know not to look for it if we want to make a recommendation? Also what USB SSD adapter are you using?

Bassquake

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019
Then which one do you have so we know not to look for it if we want to make a recommendation? Also what USB SSD adapter are you using?

Theres no branding on the one I have. It just looks the same as that ebay listing. Heres a photo of it:

My adapter

The USB SSD adapters Im testing with is the Sabrent EC-SS31 and the StarTech.com USB312SAT3CB. Both capable of 10Gbps. The Sabrent normally comes with a USB C adapter but its been lost and dont want to buy another one just to have the adapter. Need more than one anyway.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Same thing. Usb superspeed uses single Rx and Tx. Superspeed+ (usb3.2 Gen2) uses double Rx and Tx. Each = 5Gbps. So counting 1 lane in 1 direction, all usb is 5Gbps, but some vendors will claim 10Gbps (both directions) as it sounds bigger. Only 3.2 Gen2 IS bigger since it doubles the lanes for upload/download for a total of 4 lanes vs prior which used just 2.

So depending on view, whether you count download or upload or both, 5Gbps and 10Gbps are the same. You need usb3.2 Gen2 to get 10Gbps one way.

Haven't seen a usb-c to usb3.2 Gen2 yet. They are all type C to 3.0/3.1 Gen 1.

Solution

This adapter is advertised as USB 3.x Gen 2. However, considering the device you're using is a SATA to USB connector, I'm not sure how much it is to go after a USB 3.x Gen 2 adapter since SATA caps out at 6 Gbps. Alternatively you can buy a SATA to USB-C adapter with 3.x Gen 2 capbilities

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Karadjgne above makes good points. In addition, recognize that the USB designers specifically say that for Gen2 (10 Gb/s max) devices you really should be using the Type C connector and socket, because the older Type A system is not as good at high data rates and may NOT deliver the max capability of the Gen 2 system. So simply due to changing to a Type A connector on your SSD adapter may be a limiting factor.

Next limit is the SATA III (now more properly, SATA 6 Gb/s) interface. That is the upper limit of what that communication system can do.

Next limit is the SSD itself. Not many now can get to 6 Gb/s data transfer rate, although a few can. Do your know the spec for max SUSTAINED data transfer rate for your SSD (not peak rate).

It's not clear from your post why you say the unit you have is unreliable. Is it a matter of sometimes just does not work? Or are you measuring data transfer rates and find those to be variable? Or, are you just not getting the very high rates you expected?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
USB 3.2 versions
New nameOld nameOriginal nameSuperSpeed nameMax speed
USB 3.2 Gen 2x2N/AUSB 3.2SuperSpeed USB 20Gbps20Gbps
USB 3.2 Gen 2USB 3.1 Gen 2USB 3.1SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps10Gbps
USB 3.2 Gen 1USB 3.1 Gen 1USB 3.0SuperSpeed USB5Gbps

And if that's not confusing, what you thought was usb now isn't usb, it's USB 3.2, all of it.

Why anyone bothered changing the designations is beyond my small brain to grasp, they could simply have left it at 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 etc.

Bassquake

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019
It's not clear from your post why you say the unit you have is unreliable. Is it a matter of sometimes just does not work? Or are you measuring data transfer rates and find those to be variable? Or, are you just not getting the very high rates you expected?

Unreliable as in checking disk speed fails (CheckDiskMark) or disk just disappears. And if it does detect, the read speed will be around 550MB/s but writes end up as low as 20MB/s or just doesnt run. Works fine with the Sabrent usb-c adapter.

For those asking why I want to use this as SSD are capped at 6Gbps is because I want to utilise the full speed rather than 5Gbps limit. I do a lot of copying large video files etc and having the extra 100MB/s speeds things up. On normal USB3.1 I get around 460MB/s, with the 3.1 Gen 2, I get 570MB/s (Samsung 860 Evo).

At this point, I would argue you should get the right tool for the job rather than make an existing tool work with a use case so narrow that hardly anyone makes stuff for it. There are plenty of SATA to USB-C adapters with USB 3.x Gen 2 capabilities for not much more than the only adapter I've found.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
On normal USB3.1 I get around 460MB/s, with the 3.1 Gen 2, I get 570MB/s (Samsung 860 Evo).

USB 3.0 is theoretically upto 4.8Gb/s, which is 600MB/s. Your standard ports at 5Gb/s are more than fine, any 3.x port will be. They are all the same from 3.0 to 3.2 Gen2 whatever the naming scheme.

I'm betting that the differences you are seeing in speeds is internal, chipset bound or super i/o not the actual adapter itself, nor the port.

Reactions: hotaru.hino