Anyone have experience with this printer?

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
In the past I've owned several different color all in one ink jet printers. My latest is a lexmark prevail pro 701 and it's a total POS. Barely worked out of the box and since has gone through several ink cartridges of each color, until is just stopped printing at all. Tried lexmark support (see my other thread on that fiasco) and to make a long story short, I will never, ever buy another lexmark product again!

SO My dilemma is this: I need a color all in one printer, Ink jet cartridges dry up and become useless after a short period of time without using them. I don;t print a lot , but when I do I need the printer to be ready for use, whether it be for color or black and white printing.

I was looking around at printers and the best one for the money that I can find is this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828115777

Anyone out there have any personal experience using this printer? I'd sure like to know how you feel about it, good or bad.

Thanks

LexmarkListens

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

We're sorry to hear about your experience with your Lexmark printer. Please make sure that your printer firmware version is updated. Please visit the Lexmark website to download and install the Lexmark Pro700 Series Firmware Update. If more than one download is listed for your model, choose the first download in the list. If it is the wrong firmware level, an error message will tell you which firmware level is correct.

The update will improve your printer's overall performance.

Should you need further assistance, please contact us through email at lxklistens@lexmark.com or chat with one of our customer advocates at http://bit.ly/boldchat (available Monday - Friday (US: 4:00am - 7:00pm EST; UK: 9:00am - 11:00pm GMT)). We'd be honored to assist you and get your printer to work properly as expected.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

Already done that. When I fist updated the software it outdated several other ink cartridges that I had bought as a reserve supply for backup in case I ran out. I guess the chips in those ink cartridges were of the old type, when I finally got someone from lexmark to answer me they told me tough luck, that any old cartridges are now useless and I would need to buy new ones. A waste of like $58.00.

I wasn't very happy about that. Shortly after is when I started having the trouble with the printer not printing anything at all, put new ink in, ran ok for a short time, since then it hasn't wanted to print anything. Round and round with lexmark CS and I've finally given up and am going back to HP.

Sorry, but my experience with Lexmark their products and their support has been awful and they lost a customer for life!

sounds more like a case of user error to me. Lexmark are generally pretty good with replacing bad cartridges/replacing faulty machines. If it's a faulty cartridge you must take it back to where you bought it though, unless it was the cartridge that came with the printer. I have had lots of dealings with returning printers and have found HP to be the most problematic to deal with. After all your ranting you can't even tell us what is exactly wrong with your printer, just that it stopped/doesnt work. If thats what you told lexmark then I agree that they told you where to go, you need to be a bit more specific. Also make sure you take the packaging tabs off the cartridges before you install them and dont touch any of the cartridge contacts or anything.

bigkel

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I am not surprised at your situation My self have tried Lexmark a few years ago and seems nothing has changed, the best thing you can do is see if you can get your money back if still under warranty and invest in a Canon or HP printer they are Very reliable, tech service is excellent and print Quality is Surpurb, Price is a bit more than some of the cheaper brands, But it comes down to what you want?

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

I'm 52, have my degree in software engineering, I have many years experience working in a live IT setting doing everything from help desk - desktop support - writing complicated software that is being used by more than 10 million people today.

If you listen to what iam2thecrowe says it's because I don't know what I'm doing. Did you know, he can also tell what color my skin is, what my religion is and what kind of car I drive, just by reading my one post :). have a great day, I am.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

Since I wrote this post, I've had a lot of people tell me about their nightmare with a lexmark printer. I'm going to buy that color laser and be done with it. I'm not particularly happy with it's PPM, especially the 12PPM for black, but anything faster will cost several hundred more and I don't want to fork out anything more than I have to for something I don't use everyday. I try to do all my printing at work, know what I mean?

Do you have any idea how many "IT Professionals" i visit weekly that have no idea how to troubleshoot even the simplest network connectivity problem? that don't know how to remove a simple paper jam from a printer? that can't install an toner cartridge properly? That can't follow (or think they are too clever) to need to read simple instructions in a user guide? BUT THEY HAVE THEIR CERTIFICATION SO THEY KNOW EVERYTHING! If an IT guy sees a problem with a printer, he blames the printer, only to have someone like me go out ther and fix his network issue for him, or show him how to remove the packaging material from a printer cartridge that he failed to remove. I'm not saying your completely stupid and dont deserve your degree, but your lack of perserverence to solve the issue is mind boggling for someone who could complete an engineering degree. I do agree with your clever decision to get a colour laser printer though. So much less fuss, cheaper to run, no head cleaning/blocked nozzles/wasting ink. They generally just work.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

Rofl, no conceit in your family huh? You got it all :).

Never said I had an issue connecting to the printer, in fact every computer that is in my home connected to my wired/wireless network can connect and "attempt" to print to the POS lexmar. The printer cycles fine, and even spits out paper, problem is there is nothing on the paper when it spits it out, Print heads are fine, not clogged etc the problem is they are not passing the ink. I'm sure the printer has a print head issue. Lexmark support don't take the time to actually read emails that are sent to them, they read the first few words then kick out their canned response, over and over again, even when I start it off by asking them to read the entire email first.

I've received the same canned response from their so called support no less than 5 or 6 times. They are asking for a set of numbers that are supposed to be located under the print heads, numbers that just don't exist on my printer. After all those tries telling their support that those numbers don't exist, I sent them an attached picture showing them that the numbers are not where they say they are and I still got the same damn canned response back. That was the final straw.

I ordered the HP color laserjet from Newegg and threw out the lexmark. Must be a POS, because where I live if you place anything of value on the street next to your garbage cans it usually does't make it to the back of the garbage truck, because someone drove by and took it. This morning I watched the garbage men pick up the printer, take a look at it, shake their heads left and right and then they threw it into the back of their truck for disposal. To me that spoke volumes!

I used to own an HP laserjet all in one before I bought the lexmark. there wasn't really anything wrong with the HP other than it being old and wired. I wanted a wireless printer that had updated functions. Had nothing but problems with the lexmark. I'm back to being an HP customer for life now. I also like the fact that the toner cartridges for the new printer are going to cost less than the ink cartridges did for the old HP laserjet I had. as I said only thing I don;t like is the PPM. But I'll get used to that I'm sure.

Have a nice day, I am!