Anyone in the UK heard of Electro Hut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YarManYak

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Hi guys, I've been looking for a new i5 for some time and recently came across a new i5 4690k for £160 free delivery, 20 to 30 quid less then anywhere else I could find. However, its a website I have never heard of and although its only 20 to 30 off, maybe its a case of too good to be true, added to the fact that I can't find a single review anywhere on the internet for the site, but maybe its just started up. Has anyone had any experience buying products from The Electro Hut before? https://www.theelectrohut.com/default.aspx Maybe I'm being over the top but I always like to research where I'm buying from after some pretty poor experiences in the past.
Thanks in advance, YMY.

Solution
Never heard of them and can't find anything about them either, not in archive.org, even though they claim to have been around since 2010, a huge retailer and so on.

I came across something similar when I was looking for software - a website that looked cheap-but-sort-of-legitimate, a bit of reading around revealed that the service they used for taking credit card payments had a bit of reputation for 'lax security', i.e. people using it were finding their credit cards cloned.

From TheElectroHut website, their 'London Address' is a Virtual Office address that has been used by others (http://mindtimeshare.me/2011/03/23/beware-of-mason-goodwin-lisco/), and their Ts & Cs include...

"...In the event that TheElectroHut.com request...
Never heard of them and can't find anything about them either, not in archive.org, even though they claim to have been around since 2010, a huge retailer and so on.

I came across something similar when I was looking for software - a website that looked cheap-but-sort-of-legitimate, a bit of reading around revealed that the service they used for taking credit card payments had a bit of reputation for 'lax security', i.e. people using it were finding their credit cards cloned.

From TheElectroHut website, their 'London Address' is a Virtual Office address that has been used by others (http://mindtimeshare.me/2011/03/23/beware-of-mason-goodwin-lisco/), and their Ts & Cs include...

"...In the event that TheElectroHut.com request additional verification after a transaction from a customer has been made, we will require: a valid form of ID (passport, driver's licence, etc) of the credit card holder; the credit card used for payment; a recent utility bill will be required; a professional or paid-for e-mail address; a land line telephone number (work or home) where you can be reached at any time of the day.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause; however, these measures are taken to protect our clients from possible fraud associated with bank cards. TheElectroHut.com must make every effort to ensure that the screening of transactions received are 100% legitimate."

i.e. you give them your credit card details, then they can ask for your passport details, a respectable email address, a utility bill and other things that shouldn't be falling into the wrong hands.

I wouldn't use them for anything.

Solution

YarManYak

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Thanks guys for all the answers, hopefully this will appear on google on a search for electro hut to give other people a heads up too

zoobon

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
This is definitely a Scam, they say they have been around since 2010, but the domain was only registered June 2014.

Overview for theelectrohut.com
Registrar Info
Name TUCOWS DOMAINS INC.
Whois Server whois.tucows.com
Referral URL http://www.tucowsdomains.com
Status clientTransferProhibited, clientUpdateProhibited
Important Dates
Expires On June 03, 2015
Registered On June 03, 2014
Updated On June 03, 2014

If you click on their contact us page, the following message is displayed:

https://www.theelectrohut.com/contactus

"We've had an ongoing intermittent issue with our phone lines. We apologise for any
inconvenience caused whatsoever. Please be rest assured that the fault will be fixed
soon. Unfortunately, we do not have a time-frame as to when this will be exactly.
During this period of time, only Email support will be available to all customers
until this is rectified."

How long can it take to rectify a phone line?

Joregal1

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Hi guys.... Do not touch this company. I have been scammed out of £111 as ordered monitor for Xmas pressies. Two weeks later and still no delivery, cannot contact company and no return emails from them... Cannot even sign into my account any more !!!!! Bank now dealing with the dispute.

Napes2

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Yep. Got caught up on chasing the best deal in all the Black Friday excitement and placed an order with them but have already alerted my credit card company. Electrohut are not contactable and the only bits of their website which are not suspicious are the bits they have copied from other sites (ebuyers features heavily). Scam! Scam! Scam! Scam!

lufc0703

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014
I have just bought a Samsung TV from them. They were selling it £50 cheaper than anyone else. Very poor customer service - they say they are having a temporary problem with their telephones which turns out to be permanent so you have to contact them through their website. They did respond quickly to the queries by email but there is no update on delivery or tracking on their website. It took 7 days from order place to delivery which is quite good and there is nothing wrong with the TV but I still haven't received an invoice or receipt for my purchase and they are now ignoring my emails. Bottom line is they are very cheap and you do get your goods but they are extremely lacking in communication updates regarding your order.

Dangerboy101

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014

DO not buy from them! PLEASE. ITS a SCAM. I recently bought a SAMSUNG Tablet, Only £20 cheaper than Amazon. It never arrived. I cant call them from their FAKE numbers. Even the numbers for UPS and other delivery companies do not work. I bought with my Credit Card, Thank God, so I'm covered. When I placed the order I received a confirmation code, I was not given an email confirmation, so that alarmed me. I tried emailing them through the contact form, I received an email from a HOTMAIL account.

Please, spread the word, This company is FAKE. I have submitted a Fraud claim against them, not that anything will come out of that.

Another thing, This came up on a Google Shopping Search, so trusted it for some dumb reason.
I stupidly didn't do much research on the company before hand. LESSON LEARNED

It definitely looks like a scam. Stick to Amazon!

Ian Allen

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Hi there.
I tried to buy something from Electro Hut.
Got no email confirmation and no goods either.
Although they list a phone number - it's still not working.
I'm in the process of trying to claw back my money from my credit card provider.. (unsurprisingly they soon took my money)

When i emailed them and told them that i was going to log them as a bogus site they did email me saying they were busy with orders and were trying to get my product - but they were still listing everything as in stock - so what's with the delay tactics then?

Should have spotted the fact that EVERY Item is in stock (- possible but unlikely).. and as mentioned, the prices are plausibly a bit cheaper than everywhere else.
Buy from a reputable outlet instead - i'd now rather pay a bit more, than get nothing cheaply..

Hedgewood

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
They took the money on the day after the order went in on the 25th of November
Emai 1. You will receive the TV in 3 to 5 working Days
Email 2. You will receive your order this week
Email 3. The TV you ordered is out of stock choose from one of these 2
They no longer answer any emails, no TV Dispute raised with Bank Today
If you Send money to Electrohut, don't expect anything in return.

MarkCardiff

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Do not use this site , sent money , emails back saying allow up to 10 working days after my printed order form states up to a max of 7 days , money taken on the 2nd Dec , still no item , this company needs to be reported by everyone affected to trading standards , very very disappointed, bank will be investigating this.

DO NOT EVER TRUST THIS SITE

Hedgewood

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
There Is not a lot of feedback about this company on the Internet, I googled it before making the purchase, I felt more confident as I had been directed to their site by Kelkoo.com, I have since emailed Kelkoo informing them that Electrohut appears to be a scam/fake company, they replied saying that they called Electrohut & they are have problems with deliveries??? Just called trading standards, waste of time unless you want to spend all day on the phone, www.theelectrohut.com website needs taking off the internet until they can start delivering some of the goods that they have taken money for.

MarkCardiff

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

MarkCardiff

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
just so you all are aware the company are trading as

By telephone: 0203 637 2409

Working Hours : 09 AM- 05 PM , Mon to Fri [GMT]

Electroponents Ltd
60 Windsor Avenue
London
SW19 2RR

Please use the enquiry form below

I agree with Hedgewood , mine came up on a Google search , they should be taken should be taken off the internet to save other people falling victim of this scam

Hedgewood

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
I did a Google search before purchasing, the only negative comment I found was on this site posted on the 25th of November, I purchased on the 24th, money left the bank account on the 25th.

Had Kelkoo.com (a reputable company) not been promoting Electrohut I would have stayed clear, I am not posting oh here to help me, but to help others, when they look for reviews, unfortunately it was a day too late for me.

I am sure sites such as Google can take sites off their search engine, but thanks for your input. :/

Hedgewood

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Maybe people that have bean burned should try to warn others?

Nah! That won't work. :/

Sorry I mentioned it.

I never said I trusted a site because it was on Google

Kelkoo replied to my email stating that they do extensive quality checks on companies that they promote.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Did I say that?

Thats been the whole point of this thread. If you look I responded by saying I wouldnt trust it.

Im just saying that instead of blaming other sites like Kelkoo and Google, use this as an experience to learn.

Hedgewood

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
I didn't post on here to blame other companies

I came on here for one reason only, to warn others.

You said I should check out a company before purchasing, but if nobody did what I am doing right now, there won't be much to check :/

Ever heard the saying "you can please some of the people some of the time"

I think Hedgewood makes a valuable comment: on being presented with the following -
Kelkoo is here to hunt down offers from thousands of retailers, helping you find, research and compare top online deals. Put simply, we want to give you peace of mind when you buy online, proposing shops like The Electro Hut you can trust.
- plenty of people would reasonably expect the linked company to be trustworthy, given Kelkoo give the impression of vetting the companies that they propose (and have apparently told Hedgewood of their "extensive quality checks").

A couple of hours later they seem to have de-linked from The Electro Hut 'deals' (which include a £3100 TV for £2200), but the phrase about stable doors springs immediately to mind.

The thread has evolved to warn people of the apparent unreliability of using The Electro Hut. Hedgewood's post also serves to warn people of the apparent reliability of Kelkoo's vetting process, which may mean other companies they promote could be equally unreliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.