Anyone in the UK heard of Electro Hut?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YarManYak

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Hi guys, I've been looking for a new i5 for some time and recently came across a new i5 4690k for £160 free delivery, 20 to 30 quid less then anywhere else I could find. However, its a website I have never heard of and although its only 20 to 30 off, maybe its a case of too good to be true, added to the fact that I can't find a single review anywhere on the internet for the site, but maybe its just started up. Has anyone had any experience buying products from The Electro Hut before? https://www.theelectrohut.com/default.aspx Maybe I'm being over the top but I always like to research where I'm buying from after some pretty poor experiences in the past.
Thanks in advance, YMY.

Solution
Never heard of them and can't find anything about them either, not in archive.org, even though they claim to have been around since 2010, a huge retailer and so on.

I came across something similar when I was looking for software - a website that looked cheap-but-sort-of-legitimate, a bit of reading around revealed that the service they used for taking credit card payments had a bit of reputation for 'lax security', i.e. people using it were finding their credit cards cloned.

From TheElectroHut website, their 'London Address' is a Virtual Office address that has been used by others (http://mindtimeshare.me/2011/03/23/beware-of-mason-goodwin-lisco/), and their Ts & Cs include...

"...In the event that TheElectroHut.com request...

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Well the thread was started as a question about the site in the beginning. Hopefully it does serve to warn people. Unfortunately in the case of Hedgewood and a couple of others, they didnt find this thread until after falling for the scam.

My tip would be to search about the website before purchasing.

Hedgewood

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
My tip is listen to what people are saying

I did do a search about the website before purchasing, the only article I found was Kelkoo promoting it, & Kelkoo is where I found them, when purchasing an expensive item it always use Kelkoo, to get the best deal, forgive me. :/

On Google there where no bad reviews, but at least now they have one.

Napes2

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Just recieved this email from them. I'm not sure whether they are fraudulent or merely incompetent. We'll see. I'll let you know on the refund.

Dear Valued Electro Hut Customer

We hope you're enjoying the run up to Xmas.

Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, we're unable to fulfil your order due to an unforeseen shortage on stock availability - It looks as though the Xmas rush of orders caught us by surprise.

Our volume of orders has been growing at a rapid rate on a daily basis and we ran into delays and stock shortages - We'd like to sincerely apologise to you for this.

We're going to issue a full refund to you over the course of the next 24/48hrs in FULL. You can expect to receive these funds back to the method of payment you made, within approx 3 working days thereafter.

Please be rest assured that we do not retain any sensitive information such as card data etc, as all information we receive via our servers and PCI compliant gateways, are securely encrypted for your security and peace of mind.

In the interim, our stock availability is being replenished in many areas on the site as we speak and we anticipate that your order will be available again very soon within the next 5-7 working days. If you're still interested in ordering with us at that time, please feel free to email us in advance to check stock availability.

If you have sent us an email and we haven't responded as yet, I can assure you, this has not been intentional. We're inundated at present during this peak period (which is a great thing) and we're aiming to improve many aspects of the website and our service, including ease of communication in the New year so our offering is far more fluid and streamlined.

Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused, we know how important Xmas is to you and your family.

Kind regards

The Electro Hut Team

MarkCardiff

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Received the same email , lets hope the money is returned , does it surprise me at all if you look on their website all items are in stock ready for the next load of victims , not at all.
Luckily I have saved all my emails and printouts from purchase , good luck all in getting your funds back in time for Christmas

Sblyth123

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
I appreciate everyone's comments (well, almost everyone's). I too purchased I tv, didn't receive a confirmation email, login details, anything. I bought before any of the current threads were posted and needless to say, nothing has yet been delivered. The phone line just rings and rings, no reply from emails. I made a point of buying with my credit card, so I'm protected under sec 75 of the consumer credit act at least.

As has been said already, hopefully this thread will help warn others. Only 1 post so far by anyone who has received a delivery. Unless it was posted from someone who works at electro hut?

siebrowse

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Hi guys, I too am experiencing the same worrying problem! Ordered 4K samsung on 29th november (the site was google verified so I assumed all would be fine), didnt get email confirmation and when i sent a message requesting an email - got a snotty email saying "you got a confirmation page when completing the order, thats all you need and your order will be delivered in 7 working days

Couple of chasing emails later, which were replied to from the following Hotmail email address: harjsembhielectroltd@hotmail.com

Have emailed twice requesting refund yesterday and today with no reply and the telephone numbers are disconnect lines at B.T. friend has told me

Now working with the credit card company to get money back!

On the face of it, a legit site - but is complete scam!

Just hope we all get our money returned!!!

SCAM AND FRAUD - AVOID!!!

MacLuvin

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
I found this website through a Google ad. I was impressed at the saving I would have made on the item. Got the email today (as have others) concerning the pending refund. The company seems to be a one man show working out of a small office. The website tells a different story though ,so there is a lot of misinformation. Hopefully the refund will materialize.

Jaycey

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Here is yet another idiot taken in by these people! I saw this thread and thought I'd join up and add my two-pennorth to the discussion.

Things happened in this order.

1. I ordered a scanner from them on 3-12-14. I very quickly received an email from them as follows:-

"Dear --------,

Thank you for placing your order online with TheElectroHut!

Order ID: --------

Product: --------- Product Name: --------- scanner

Amount: £ ------

Date: 03/12/2014 19:06:30

Your order will begin processing shortly & we'll aim for a smooth and swift delivery..

We'll aim to ship your order within the next 24/48hrs.

Please take note, our delivery time-frame during this peak period is approx 7 working days (this does not incl the weekend period)

We'll endeavour to deliver the order to you faster where possible, but as a general rule of thumb during the Xmas & New Yr period, please follow the above stipulated time period.

We'd appreciate it if emails are only sent to us concerning an order status, once the specified time period of 7 working days have lapsed fully.

Thank you for choosing The Electro Hut & we look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Electro Hut Team"

This just felt wrong to me somehow. It came from noreply@theelectrohut.com (no email address on the site of course - only a contact form). I then went back and looked at my order on the site, and it said PROCESSING ORDER in big orange letters. Hmmm..... I then looked at My Details under My Account - this showed only my 'customer number' and my name and email, and underneath was 'To avoid user abuse we do not allow you to edit the above details once registered'. Alarm bells started ringing at this point, however all I did then was to transfer most of the money of that account, just in case they tried a slam-dunk - but being far too honest, I thought I'd give them the 7-day turnround they'd requested.

2. The next thing that happened, which I didn't realise until today, was that they took the money out of the account on 4-12-14 (the day after!). I was stupid not to check - but there it is, I'm a very busy person! :-/

3. And today I got - yes, you guessed it - the exact same letter above as Napes2 got!! (And I got it twice!) Even if I do get a refund, they've still got my details - so I swung into action, and rang Nationwide, who I bank with. I told them the story and they agreed that it certainly wasn't genuine (apparently no legit company would take your money until your goods were dispatched) - they immediately stopped my current card and arranged for a new one to be sent. They've stopped the transaction (and will refund me the money if it's proved fraudulent), and have also guaranteed that if these people try to take any more money from my account, they'll be alerted and I would be immediately refunded by Nationwide themselves (although they say this is unlikely). They've also launched a high-risk security investigation into the company, and said that I should be getting a letter from them in about ten days about this. I'm guessing that any bank or building society would offer this service? (It seems pretty good to me and was actually more than I was expecting.)

So - lesson learned! :-( To any scoffers, I will just say that I've been online since 1995 and this is the first time I've had a problem (having done hundreds of online transactions). I'm not stupid - just damned busy and stressed at the moment, and I was too distracted by getting the order in quickly for Christmas (which is probably what they were banking on). My money is probably safe, but these people still have my name, address and phone number - so I'm still vulnerable. (I can move my money around, but I can't move house!) Anybody dealing with Electro Hut is in a bad place, some more than others, and we don't need any mocking, thank you very much - it's our mistake and we've got to live with it. But we ARE now forewarned, and the more we can spread the news around about these people, the better. So go forth and spread the word, people - there is certainly not enough info online about this mob, so it's up to us to help others from falling into the same trap.

siebrowse

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

I totally agree with the one-man band! Certainly based on this thread I was one of the earliest to order from them but I've recieved no such refund email at all - which is very alarming! Infact they've ignored all my emails for the last 3 days :-(.

What was the email address that that came from please?

Thanks

MacLuvin

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

It was their noreply email.

MarkCardiff

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

Jaycey

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
I'm interested to see that some of you received an email from 'harjsembhielectroltd@hotmail.com' as mine came from the noreply address.

Here's their company information:-

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/07339747

- and 'Mr Harjit Singh Sembhi' is listed as the sole director (after a somewhat chequered career) - this information does not make encouraging reading. :-/

Just been looking at a few shopping sites where Electro Hut comes up in the search - but it doesn't show up in most of the results (HotUKDeals actually states 'This Deal Has Been Marked as Spam'). Somewhat worryingly however, the company still shows up in Which! searches (example - http://www.which.co.uk/technology/camcorders/reviews/hd-camcorders/sony-fdr-ax100e/review/).

This thread has been enormously useful to me, and thank you to everyone who's taken the trouble to report in. (I only wish I'd seen it before I ordered!) I'm sorry if I've upset anybody, but I'm going to be continuing with my research into this company, and will feed back any relevant details that might be useful to people here.

Jaycey

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
I've just reported this company to Action Fraud - if you are still without your refunds/goods, you may like to do the same? (The more information they get, the better.)

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

siebrowse

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Guys, he's just emailed from the hotmail email address after 3 days of waiting!!

"Hello Simon

I can confirm that this refund has been actioned for you.
My apologies for any inconvenience caused whatsoever.

Thank you once again for your continued patience and understanding.

Kind regards

The Electro Hut

> From: noreply@theelectrohut.com
> To: harjsembhielectroltd@hotmail.com
> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:08:46 +0000
> Subject: theElectrohut.com Contact Us
>
> Name: Simon browse
> Email Address:si*******@hotmail.com
> Contact Phone number:4479******
> Order Number:301****
> Enquiry: REFUND NOW PLEASE!!! "

I will keep you all posted when I've check the account tomorrow to see if refund arrived or not.

siebrowse

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Spoke to my credit card company today who confirm no refund actioned or pending at all! This Harj character is obviously a rogue trader. Fucking twat has the gaul to email whilst stealing card information from us whilst turning over £500,000 last year!! Speachless. Wonder if Watchdog would want to know about him

Anyone else had any luck with either refunds, or contact, or actual goods arriving yet?

MarkCardiff

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

MarkCardiff

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Siebrowse , had an email that everyone else seems to have received yesterday , chased with bank and they are looking into it , I think everyone effected should report this Harjit to the fraud site , also to trading standards electro hut are a trading company called
Electroponents Ltd
60 Windsor Avenue
London
SW19 2RR

More worrying than the Kelkoo link and it's not just on that product. On being presented with the following page by a brand as reputable as Which?, I can imagine a reasonable person would be taking it on trust that Which? wouldn't link them to a dubious trader. None of the other retailers shown seem disreputable.

Jaycey

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

I think involving Watchdog would be a VERY good idea!! Would anyone else here be prepared to do this?

Jaycey

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

I just dropped Which? a line on their online contact form - referring them here for more information. (I hope they take some notice!)

MarkCardiff

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

MarkCardiff

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Im all up for reporting this seller's site in any way possible that could stop any other people falling victim of this scam

Status
Not open for further replies.