Anyone in the UK heard of Electro Hut?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YarManYak

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Hi guys, I've been looking for a new i5 for some time and recently came across a new i5 4690k for £160 free delivery, 20 to 30 quid less then anywhere else I could find. However, its a website I have never heard of and although its only 20 to 30 off, maybe its a case of too good to be true, added to the fact that I can't find a single review anywhere on the internet for the site, but maybe its just started up. Has anyone had any experience buying products from The Electro Hut before? https://www.theelectrohut.com/default.aspx Maybe I'm being over the top but I always like to research where I'm buying from after some pretty poor experiences in the past.
Thanks in advance, YMY.

Solution
Never heard of them and can't find anything about them either, not in archive.org, even though they claim to have been around since 2010, a huge retailer and so on.

I came across something similar when I was looking for software - a website that looked cheap-but-sort-of-legitimate, a bit of reading around revealed that the service they used for taking credit card payments had a bit of reputation for 'lax security', i.e. people using it were finding their credit cards cloned.

From TheElectroHut website, their 'London Address' is a Virtual Office address that has been used by others (http://mindtimeshare.me/2011/03/23/beware-of-mason-goodwin-lisco/), and their Ts & Cs include...

"...In the event that TheElectroHut.com request...

Spokes39

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
Hi guys I'm sorry but im going to have to come to the defence of the electrohut
I placed an order for an epson tw5200 full HD 3D projector @ £480.58 cheapest on the Google shopping search I didn't get a confirmation email which I did think was a bit suspect
Almost 2 weeks later I did check them out and came across your comments and did think I'm gonna get ripped off as I'd paid by debit card but the very next day I received an email from them saying they could not fulfill my order due to low stock and the amount of orders they had coming up to Christmas , they appoligised for this and would issue a full refund within 48hrs
AND THEY DID !!!

You got to order an Epson TW5200 for £480 excl. VAT, more expensive than Currys at £475 excl. VAT...

Then they held on to your money in their own account for two weeks...

Then when they couldn't find a grey import worth their while selling to you, they didn't keep your money...

...and you seem to think they've done you a favour and feel obliged to defend them.

MarkCardiff

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
I agree with Moonstick2 , not forgetting this company now has your card details , after taking cash for orders that are not in stock but displayed clearly and still to date in stock on their website, so I'm failing to see what you are defending ????????

Jaycey

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Oh dear, Spokes 39, you are exactly the kind of trusting person who these scam artists love! :ange: Look at the two replies below yours - read and learn. As MarkCardiff says, "this company now has your card details" - the refund is irrelevant!!

Without getting paranoid, we ALL need to educate ourselves and become aware of the pitfalls that await us while shopping online. You yourself said "I didn't get a confirmation email which I did think was a bit suspect" - that's your natural perception kicking in & waking you up - don't ignore it! :heink:

Help is out there - articles like http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/support-and-prevention/protect-yourself-from-fraud - and many more. You can't read this too many times.

(PS. Note to Someone Somewhere - I contacted my building society - their refund was only a temporary one, in case I didn't get one from the company. They've taken it back now.)

Ditchy

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014

Dear all, I have also fallen for this scam. I purchased a TV from the electrohut on 25 November and like many other I received no confirmation via email. I tried repeatedly to contact them via their website. When I used the word scam they responded with an apology and claimed my TV was out of stock but offered me a superior model. Still no TV. Finally I contacted my credit card company (after the statutory 14 days since purchase) and reported Theelectrohut.com. My CC company immediately gave me a full refund. I have since been offered a refund by The ElectroHut but I dont believe a word of it. They are clearly a scam. I have reported them to trading standards who are investigating. I would urge you all to contact your credit card company urgently and dont believe a word that the Electro Hut say.

AFM

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
It's no scam. I read this string of posts this morning and decided to contact my credit card company to dispute the transaction and low and behold my TV arrived in the afternoon! Admittedly it was not in the 3-5 day time frame (more like 7 days) but I can live with that given it was £150 quid cheaper than anywhere else. So Electrohut is no scam, but be prepared to wait for delivery.

Richard Haydock

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I ordered a Samsung TV from them on the 16th. Even paid more for quick delivery. Nothing as yet so tried to call them but like people have said no answer.

I then emailed them asking that they canx my order and threatened to report them and also said I would contact my credit card people.

I've just got this response:

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your email sir.

A little alarmed to have read your email and the threats you've made against our company.

Yes, we have received your order successfully and the order has been processed express.

Due to the logistical state of your order sir, unfortunately i'm unable to cancel this at this stage.

You are more than welcome and it is at your sole discretion if you wish to cancel once you take delivery of the order.

With regards to the sale number - we are in the peak period of the year and our call volumes have been quite excessive, please accept my apologies if we missed your call at all sir.

We shall keep you updated & informed accordingly with your order status.

Kind regards

The Electro Hut

Not sure why I can't cancel if the order hasn't even been dispatched as it says on their website. All sounds like a load of baloney to me

Which TV was it? I'd bet a pound to a penny that it's no cheaper than elsewhere, once you take into account VAT, and probably more expensive.

ElectroHut looks cheap because they simply advertise stuff at VAT excl prices and uses their small print to put the onus on the buyer to pay it. And if it fails over the next few months...

GUARANTEES AND AFTER-SALES SERVICE ALL PRODUCTS EXCEPT KITCHEN AND HOME APPLIANCES:

All of the products we sell benefit from:
3. The manufacturer’s guarantee for a period defined by the product purchased and the brand.
In all cases, TheElectroHut.com will not be held responsible in the event that the manufacturer refuses to honour the warranty due to, but not limited to, any of the above noted reasons.
i.e. if your TV fails they expect you to go direct to the manufacturer and if the manufacturer won't fix it because of it being a grey import, or you not being able to provide a suitable invoice, or any shipping issues due to the VAT not being paid, or anything really, then ElectroHut washes its hands of you.

So, if you're happy that you've been able to evade VAT and now have a TV that probably has no guarantee to speak of, you're fine. If however you were under the impression that you were getting a TV just as if you'd bought it somewhere respectable, only cheaper, then maybe you have been scammed.

MowLiao

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
I just updated my post [ link ] saying that I received my Wii U after 10 days, with details on how it is not shipped from the UK. ElectroHut aren't a take-your-money-and-run scam after all.

Oh, there's definitely legal protection over here (Sale of Goods Act etc)...the point is that there's a company who lists Ts & Cs that don't comply with statutory requirements, don't supply electronic or paper invoices, use a virtual office address, a virtual office phone number and a Hotmail address, so I bet they don't abide by their legal duties without a lot of heel dragging and a fight.

For instance, MowLiao above has just received their WiiU and under the Consumer Contracts Regulations and so legally has seven working days from today to cancel the order. The ElectroHut Ts & Cs claim fourteen days to return the goods (that's different to cancelling the order), and also claim that they have to be returned with the invoice (that nobody seems to get) and an authorised return goods voucher (wonder how long that might take to arrive).

Legally al MowLiao has to do is cancel the order by email, letter or fax to get their money back. If s/he tried that, I wonder how well it would work....

Richard Haydock

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
If by some miralce the TV does actually arrive, I will not be accepting the delivery, I don't want any part in all this shady business. Like people have said, I'd hate to think what would happen if you ever had a problem with the product (if you ever get one!)

I'm not too worried about getting the money back, I know I will eventually, either by them or the bank. I just wonder how long it will be before they stop pretending they are actually going to send me something?!

It's a shame companies/people like this exist really, just mugging people off. Oh well a lesson learned is a lesson earned I guess.

Jaycey

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

That email you got sounds like a total joke! Did you know that a complaint against this company has been published on ScamGuard? It might be quite handy to help catch them if communications from them could be added to the complaint - fraud victims need all the help they can get. I really hope you do get your money back - have you checked your bank statement to see when they took it? (They're already breaking the law by taking it before sending out any goods - so you should really tell your bank anyway.) The ScamGuard complaint is here:- http://www.scamguard.com/categories/online-scam/theelectrohutcom/10641/order-goods-money-taken-refund-is-offered-a-week-later/.

I think it's rather sad that some people think that because they receive goods and/or a refund, this is not a scam. The company have to maintain the illusion of being 'normal', so of course they will push through the odd transaction - but they still have your bank details ! This seems to be what some people are forgetting. (Everyone dealing with them should really stop their cards and order new ones - for their own safety.)

Richard Haydock

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

Yeah I spoke to my bank about it they said they can't do anything for 15 days but after that they can get my money back.

Hopefully they get what's coming to them. Funny thing is it just seems so obvious what they are doing. Like so many people are going to be able to prove they are dodgy. Surely they won't get away with it?

MowLiao

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
Some additional information for people:

Even though I received the (European region) Wii U, the status on my order is still "processing". I don't think they maintain their order statuses.

I've also sent a refund request through their website asking to cancel my order a few days before the Wii U arrived, but I've received absolutely no acknowledgement of this request, even now. Fortunately, I've sold the Wii U to a friend who lives in Germany, so that's that sorted for me, fortunately.

Definitely a shady business, reading what Moonstick2 wrote about my situation. The fact I dealt with them makes me feel a bit nauseous. I hope action is taken against them... I don't think I can do anything from my position, really, now that I've gotten an item and passed it on?

Nathan2015

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Hi,

I fell into the trap by goggling a TV model and seen it very cheap on Electro Hut! Yes, I did think this seems cheap and I normally do research on new companies I am just about to buy from, but I thought it would be ok as it was one of the top results. I placed my order at around 5pm on Sunday and received email confirmation. I then was told about the tax is not included etc, so I emailed them less than 24 hours after the order was processed with a response of they can't cancel the order at this stage of the order. Come on I can't see them processing the order and dispatching it less than 24 hours! I will not be accepting the deliver and requesting a refund, which I have been told I will incur a deliver charge, but I still haven't had a response.

Hope I get the money back ASAP!

Jaycey

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Has anyone had this little gem from The Electro Hut? They never give up, do they?! Keep fighting, people - we can't let them win this battle! :(

Biggest Brands, Best Prices, Free Delivery On Everything!

Dear J-----,

Happy New Year!

We wish you the very best of luck, peppered with health, happiness and prosperity.

We have a special gift for you and what better way to celebrate than by slashing our prices on all the state of the arte gadgets and electronics even further!

Unbeatable prices and unbeatable savings - now that's one way to celebrate the new year in style!

CLICK HERE and visit the The Electro Hut today for the latest special offers.

But hurry, this price crash sale wont last forever.

Happy New Year

The Electro Hut Team
Contact us| About us | Help Desk| Term| Privacy| Delivery Policy
unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences|view email in browser

Kim Neville

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
Ordered a Samsung TV from Electrohut on 18th December and tried to cancel few days later after reading so many bad reviews and got the same standard message everyone got. Still unable to contact them by phone. Got an email from them yesterday saying TV was with couriers and would be returned to them and then a refund processed. Today UPS have tried to deliver which I refused. The box didnt look that secure and only 1 man was carrying it. Whether the TV was from abroad don't know. Still waiting for my refund obviously and will be reporting them like I hope everyone else does. This dodgy company should be closed down

MowLiao

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
I've started using their ticket system to contact them. The friend who I passed the Wii U to wants an invoice in case they need to return the Wii U back due to some kind of fault. I've received no response from them (who's surprised!?) but an automated email to tell me that my ticket will expire if I don't respond in 125 hours (what an arbitrary number - that's 5.2 days). I've sent an email back to them and responded to my ticket saying that this is not resolved, and now I'm awaiting what I'm going to predict will be another email in a few days telling me my ticket will expire if I don't respond. It really seems like there's no dealing with these people when their phone number is fake, their address is fake and their contact form is basically... not used by them either.

Kim Neville

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

Kim Neville

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
I know it is so frustrating as can only contact them via their ticket system. They have sent a message saying "once the package is back at depot and checked over, only then can we confirm a refund" I have already told them the box did not look that secure. Have spoken to my bank and have to fill in a form with evidence etc then they sort out the money either way. No confirmation of order or despatch was received either. Totally fake company who wants to sit on people's money and get interest. It says on their ts & cs allow 28 working days for refund which is ridiculous.

apnpathum

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Hi guys,

Could someone help me please? I've bought a TV for £460 on Electro Hut website over Christmas period and it said they're closed until the 5th Jan 15. Since I haven't had any correspondences regarding this I've been trying to get in touch with them since yesterday (6th) to find out where my item is but no one answers the phones. One phone line keeps ringing and cut off after 2 minutes the other line is always engaged. My partner wrote to this place and got an automatic response with log in details which are invalid. Feels like this is scam but my partner thinks this is still a genuine website even after experiencing unanswered telephone calls, no update regarding the order and invalid login info. Is there any place or service I could report this problem to or get more information about this organisation before contacting the bank? Many thanks

Uncle Mart

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
I smell a rat here. I was looking for a TV and I stumbled on Electro Hut, too good to be true and then I found this site.

Have a look at this -

Pixmania
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/led-tv/lg-49ub820v-49-led-tv-smart-tv/22264830-a.html?ectrans=1&gclid=CIjvr4KFgsMCFcPJtAodTjQAlg#merch=1&srcid=11270

and

Electro Hut
https://www.theelectrohut.com/Ceiling%20Mounts/Lg/cam35330621?ai=18394&gclid=CK-h_LbJgMMCFWf3wgodc5wAIg

Same web page word for word just a little cheaper AND where it says about imports -

"Click to learn more: UK residents / IE residents."
The Electro Hut link doesn't work unlike the Pixmania site so its a total copy and paste job.

Avoid

Status
Not open for further replies.