Anyone in the UK heard of Electro Hut?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YarManYak

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Hi guys, I've been looking for a new i5 for some time and recently came across a new i5 4690k for £160 free delivery, 20 to 30 quid less then anywhere else I could find. However, its a website I have never heard of and although its only 20 to 30 off, maybe its a case of too good to be true, added to the fact that I can't find a single review anywhere on the internet for the site, but maybe its just started up. Has anyone had any experience buying products from The Electro Hut before? https://www.theelectrohut.com/default.aspx Maybe I'm being over the top but I always like to research where I'm buying from after some pretty poor experiences in the past.
Thanks in advance, YMY.

Solution
Never heard of them and can't find anything about them either, not in archive.org, even though they claim to have been around since 2010, a huge retailer and so on.

I came across something similar when I was looking for software - a website that looked cheap-but-sort-of-legitimate, a bit of reading around revealed that the service they used for taking credit card payments had a bit of reputation for 'lax security', i.e. people using it were finding their credit cards cloned.

From TheElectroHut website, their 'London Address' is a Virtual Office address that has been used by others (http://mindtimeshare.me/2011/03/23/beware-of-mason-goodwin-lisco/), and their Ts & Cs include...

"...In the event that TheElectroHut.com request...

baggies37

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
hi all,
im having the same nightmare with this company. trying to cancel but they are saying they will process a refund when item returned. they do not even confirm item has been despatched.

can anyone confirm the courier as i have replacement being delivered and dont want to refuse delivery of the wrong item?

cant believe google let them be advertised.

MowLiao

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
I *think* my delivery service was UPS. I'm not sure though - my partner was the one who opened the door - so don't take this as fact.

Kim Neville

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

Kim Neville

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
UPS tried to deliver TV to me yesterday but we refused. Would have been returned to UPS depot on that day but where it goes after that I don't know. Electrohut are definately dodge. Probably coming from abroad which would be of no use as channels are different and if you had a problem with it would be a nightmare as cant get hold of Electrohut. They need to be closed down but they would probably start another dodgy business.

apnpathum

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Hi all

Thank you for your responses. I will try if I can cancel this I've already contacted my credit card company as well. Hopefully everyone gets their money back soon. Good luck to you all.

MowLiao

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
Okay! I have just received yet another email from them saying this:

Miss [Name],

This message concerns your ticket #XXX. We have not heard back from you in 72 hours and would like to know if you consider this issue to be resolved. If you have any further questions, simply respond to this email.

Ticket ID: XXX
Subject: OrderID: XXXXXXXX
Department: Customer
Type: Issue
Priority: Low

Please note that the ticket will automatically be closed within 125 hours if we don't hear back. You can check the status of or reply to this ticket online at: http://theelectrohut.kayako.com/Tickets/Ticket/View/XXX

Kind regards,

TheElectroHut.com

Helpdesk: http://theelectrohut.kayako.com

I am really, really unsurprised, and still immensely frustrated because I originally thought, "Oh, they've created a ticket system for complaints... Maybe they do actually care about their service? Maybe???"

Nope, it just looks like this ticket system is there for people to feel like their complaint/problem is going to be heard, and if they can't be bothered to update it every three days, the ticket is auto-resolved. I'm going to make sure I keep this ticket for as long as possible and keep you guys updated on how things are going for me.

I am raging so much here. I want to report them to trading standards, but I don't think I have any grounds to report them on.

Also, for those interested, here is a screen capture of my current ticket messages on imgur...

Under Consumer Contract Regulation 13, they're obliged to provide certain information in a durable form personally addressed to the recipient ( Reg.5 i.e. paper or email, not a webpage) as set out in Schedule 2. This includes such things as the right to cancel.

I'd hazard a guess that you never received by email or paper the information that they're required to give when you ordered your WiiU and they delivered it, or if you did it contained plenty of terms and conditions not permitted by the Regulations. So you could likely set out a complaint to Trading Standards on that basis.

N.B. I thought it was seven days from delivery to cancel, but it looks like it's fourteen.

avant1

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Fell fowl of this aswell:pfff: Ordered in a rush during NY - no response to phone and weird ticket system only way to contact - nothing satisfactory from that either.
Money taken from bank. No delivery.

Informed Action Fraud.

Will post with any updates - have asked for refund immediately.

Andy

baggies37

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
interesting update. now saying they are delivering my tv through ups.
given all the comments on here earlier im going to refuse delivery of it.
the guy did say earlier i couldnt cancel and he would refund when sent back.

avant1

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

baggies37

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
ive actually got a tracking number and ups says its in tamworth...blah blah so i suspect it might turn up....same thing im gonns refuse delivery...

baggies37

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
oh its gets better

Dear Sir,

For what reason will you refuse?

Please note there is a 10% surcharge for administration we will levy on any items refused at the door. Information is in your account area on the site.

We will pass on the charges from the courier which will have to be borne by yourself.

Do let us know how you wish to proceed.

TheElectroHut.com

avant1

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

avant1

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Was gonna ask what you were doing re. refusing delivery - did you inform ElectroHut? Via it's ticket system?

Still nothing back from them from my end. I'll hunt this twat down if he doesn't respond.

baggies37

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
well, ordered on 27th dec, saw this thread on 4th 5th jan and then emailed to cancel. told i couldnt cancel but could after item returned. asdvised by barclays had to wait 12days till raising a case. which i was going to do tonite. that was tue, today is wed and i get a email saying depatching and a genuine tracking ups site saying in tamworth. then i get the above message about 10% surcharge. advised that as didnt deliver within the promised window and refused to cancel my order i will strill be refusing to accept delivery and i expect a full refund.

baggies37

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
my latest and greatest:
Please review the according to the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and in particular section

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/shropshire/con1item.cgi?file=*adv0043-1011.txt

which states:
A FULL REFUND
You are legally entitled to a full refund if you have not yet 'accepted' the goods. Acceptance takes place when:

As you will be aware from this ticket i had very early on told you to cancel the order which you refused to do.
I have a copy of this ticket to prove this.

This was long before the goods were despatched. In that instance why should i be paying you a 10% surcharge?

baggies37

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
wow even Barclays are saying that "if the 10% surcharge is on teh terms of the website"....great im £60 quid down
thats not right.

stevendugan

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Same here as well, now purchased the item from elsewhere and left it with the bank to sort my refund.

How can they still be trading, mind you did check the business out electroponents ltd and they seem to be ok but suppose the accounts would look well with ripping everyone off.

baggies37

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
now looking at accepting the delivery if occurs and resending it back via my own courier...
cheaper than £60..which is 10% of my order....big tv but i can get it back to london for £20-30 so not to out of pocket....

i ordered a replacement from pixmania and it came in half the time...

whats the point in having sale of goods acts if companies can put any old shit in the small print and by pass...i mean, who reads, or has time to read

avant1

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

avant1

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
I paid using debit card not credit card - My bank told me I had to wait 15 days before they could take action, didn't sound too hopeful. Anyone else managed to get a refund - from Bank or ElectroHut?

avant1

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Got this from them now - what a load of utter drivel:

"Sir,

You item is being shipped, UPS are yet to refresh their tracking and once they do, you will receive an email detailing the location of your item.

TheElectroHut.com"

It's not right, but I daresay whoever you were on the phone to hadn't had consumer legal training. Kick off at Barclays, get on to Trading Standards.

Your right to cancel the contract starts from the moment you make it in the first place. Once you informed them that you were cancelling then that's when the contract ends. If their 'system' prevents them shipping out a TV or whatever then that's their lookout. They are required to refund you the full price of the item and the full price of their standard delivery. They can write all the terms they like contrary to this on their website, but without effect. The one thing you would be required to pay under CCR would be the cost of returning, but if you haven't accepted delivery then you don't have it to return.

Refuse delivery. Press for a full refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.