Anyone in the UK heard of Electro Hut?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YarManYak

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Hi guys, I've been looking for a new i5 for some time and recently came across a new i5 4690k for £160 free delivery, 20 to 30 quid less then anywhere else I could find. However, its a website I have never heard of and although its only 20 to 30 off, maybe its a case of too good to be true, added to the fact that I can't find a single review anywhere on the internet for the site, but maybe its just started up. Has anyone had any experience buying products from The Electro Hut before? https://www.theelectrohut.com/default.aspx Maybe I'm being over the top but I always like to research where I'm buying from after some pretty poor experiences in the past.
Thanks in advance, YMY.

Solution
Never heard of them and can't find anything about them either, not in archive.org, even though they claim to have been around since 2010, a huge retailer and so on.

I came across something similar when I was looking for software - a website that looked cheap-but-sort-of-legitimate, a bit of reading around revealed that the service they used for taking credit card payments had a bit of reputation for 'lax security', i.e. people using it were finding their credit cards cloned.

From TheElectroHut website, their 'London Address' is a Virtual Office address that has been used by others (http://mindtimeshare.me/2011/03/23/beware-of-mason-goodwin-lisco/), and their Ts & Cs include...

"...In the event that TheElectroHut.com request...
Quote them this from the CCR:

29. (1) The consumer may cancel a distance or off-premises contract at any time in the cancellation period without giving any reason, and without incurring any liability except under these provisions—

(a)regulation 34(3) (where enhanced delivery chosen by consumer);
(b)regulation 34(9) (where value of goods diminished by consumer handling);
(c)regulation 35(5) (where goods returned by consumer);
(d)regulation 36(4) (where consumer requests early supply of service).

(2) The cancellation period begins when the contract is entered into

35(5) only applies if the goods have been delivered, and then only extend to the cost of returning them.

34(1) The trader must reimburse all payments, other than payments for delivery, received from the consumer, subject to paragraph (10).
34(10) An amount that may be recovered under paragraph (9)...
34(11) Paragraph (9) does not apply if the trader has failed to provide the consumer with the information on the right to cancel required by paragraph (l) of Schedule 2, in accordance with Part 2

34(13) Where the provisions of this regulation apply to cancellation of a contract, the contract is to be treated as including those provisions as terms.

The law says you can cancel without liability - they can't write their Ts & Cs to override that.

Even the very few exceptions to liability (which don't include admin fees, handling charges or anything of the kind) don't apply unless they provided you with a personally addressed email or letter which set out your right to cancel.

sunny1983

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
Well it might have taken a little over 2 weeks however it was worth it! ordered a 50inch samsung led and i got a 55inch instead in the same model so i was over the moon! also got my samsung soundbar. So feel sorry for the one's who have had a bad experience but i got all my stuff so not a fake site after all.

p.s UPS delivered my goods.

artskoo

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
BEWARE! www.theelectrohut.com is a scam website!!

They do not respond to emails. They do not pick up the phone. I placed an order before New Year and received an empty box from them 20 days after. They are an absolute scam.

For details contact me at artskoo@mail.ru

It's not a 'fake' site: it's a site that apparently claims to have everything in stock when it doesn't; which seems to flout UK law regarding distance-selling regulations to the detriment of those who buy from it; which charges ex-VAT prices higher than the ex-VAT prices of more reputable sellers but leaves the VAT liability with the customer; which appears to source grey imports and deliver them without any form of invoice; and which puts in their Ts & Cs that you have to deal with the manufacturer direct if the product develops a fault (again contrary to UK law) and that they've no responsibility if the manufacturer refuses to honour the warranty (which for a grey import without so much as an invoice for proof of purchase could be highly likely).

So I feel more sorry for those who do receive their goods. Let us know when you've paid your VAT, won't you?

One more thing from the websites Ts & Cs in case anybody reading is still in doubt as to where the products are sourced from:

Please note that some products' instruction manuals do not come in English. Please note that in the case where you buy a product which does not have an English instruction manual you will be able to download the English manual by using a link that can be provided to you by TheElectroHut.com where requested. Please note, Epson items are delivered with French manuals & software. Both can be downloaded for free on www.epson.com.

As most products come with 2-pin plugs, adapters from European to UK plugs are supplied free of charge with your order.

It's illegal to sell electrical items in the UK without an approved 3-pin plug or an approved convertor. That's a convertor that's approved, that encloses the non-UK plug and can only be removed using a tool. It's specifically not an adaptor.

It's also worth knowing that some European TVs are unable to decode UK HD broadcasts.

artskoo

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
As far as I see, you represent this website yourself. I cannot otherwise explain the nonsense you placed here.

What they do: 15 days later than it should be, they send you the empty box marked 0.4kg or whatever the weight of the item should be. Obviously, you are supposed to sign for the box. Afterwards, they think they are clean. THERE ARE ALREADY TWO CASES LIKE MINE.

Anyone can contact me directly at artskoo@mail.ru for more details.

Moonstick2, if you keep masking my messages with your strange ones, I will contact the website administration to review this and also create a new topic
If you keep di

achambers77

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
Hi all I placed an order for a 40 inch 3d samsung tv and as above got an order confirmation and an estimated delivery 7-10. I had not heard anything by the 7th of snd teied calling answer message all lines busy etc. I logged a ticket on line no answer. I then started readinf these reviews and got worried quickly and logged several further tickets tge last on the 13th jan threatebing police action. This finally got them to answer sssuring me all was legitimate and the tv would arrive by the end of the week. I exchanged furtger emails complainibg of poor communication and to be honest thought id kissed £400 goodbye. However to my astonishment the tv was delivered today and is perfectly fine brand new etc. Altough no invoice or reciept.Therefore although the company has poor comms it did deliver on this occasion.

I suggest you re-read.

Yeah, they've delivered - they've undercut honest retailers by selling without VAT to deliver a TV that you either avoid the tax on or you pay over the odds for (since their excl. VAT prices are higher than retaliers) and that'll be a massive headache if anything goes wrong with it because it's a grey import with no proof of purchase. Likewise if it ever got stolen.

Funny how for so many people it's only a scam if they don't get their cheap tax-evaded dodgy order - if it does turn up then everything's okay.

artskoo

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
Good to know, however this company is a scam. They sent me an empty box marked 0.4kg and then claimed they actually put my Graphic Tablet inside! However, the size of the box is so that the Tablet cannot even fit there!

Tomorrow I will go to the police with all the evidence. I am sure there are more cases. Hope they will shut them down soon.

Happy to post the same as you if they miraculously sent me my Tablet. I do not believe this will occur

One last thing to hammer this home to anyone else who might feel inclined to defend the company with a 'I got my order eventually so they're not that bad' post...

From everything in this thread, the operation of the company appears to be:
- set up a website with a .co.uk address but hidden ownership and overseas hosting.
- get a virtual office, virtual landline and hotmail address.
- fill basic website with a huge range of items, with photos and descriptions copied from other websites.
- label everything as 'in stock', so no need for stock control coding.
- appear to undercut other retailers by omitting VAT in the price when actually being more expensive once VAT is taken into account.
- put the lack of VAT somewhere in the Ts & Cs and make it the customer's liability if HMRC ever get wind.
- use the most basic coding for customer accounts and order tracking.
- include in Ts & Cs that registration means 'contractual partners' can send a customer promotional information, without any opt out.
- charge every order immediately.
- fail to meet UK law on providing necessary information on the right to cancel.
- try and fulfil the 'in stock' order over the next couple of weeks using some overseas supplier, even if it means an on-screen menu in Romanian or an illegal two-pin plug.
- if the customer tries to cancel the order, ignore or frustrate the request. Claim its impossible to stop the order process even if they try and cancel the same day. If they refuse delievery claim charges that aren't legally applicable. If they've got it but want to return it, state they must have a returns voucher. Don't send a returns voucher.
- if a grey import that provides suitable profit can't be found, drag heels, refuse to communicate and hold on to the money as long as possible until they're so worried they're actually grateful when you eventually don't steal it.
- on any order that does get delivered, attempt to wash hands of any legal obligations regarding after-sales care through Ts & Cs, telling customer to go to manufacturer with any problems.
- don't bother supplying customer with any invoice, copy of contract, guarantee, anything at all really, paper or electronic. Even if they ask.

Now the one thing missing here is the secure online payment method. Given all the above, is the company likely to use:
(A) The most reliable, trustworthy and secure service they can find, making every effort to ensure that your personal and banking details are kept as safe as possible?
(B) The cheapest one possible, because it's not going to be the company's problem if it turns out to be insecure?

baggies37

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
ive now accepted my delivery as id understood that even barclays couldnt mitigate the 10% return charge (their words not eletrohut).
annoyingly the box was damaged and whilst the tv might be alright theres a right chunk out of the packing.
i signed and marked one box damaged. no receipt for the delivery existed on the box packaging.

i have been in talks with the guy on their ticket system at electrohut.
he said if i took the cost of the return he'd refund the full item.

however he hasnt confirmed if the return address is the uk to electrohut directly.
also after two days he's no longer responding to email depsite my repeated posting on his helpdesk ticket site.

at my wits end. feel i should have refused delivery but stuck with a extra tv.

might point out that when i caught wind of this thread i tried to cancel but he wouldnt let me.
i then in expectation of not receiving goos went via pixmania who are far more reliable. surely enough they delivered within 5 days.
im now stuck with two tv's.

right pissed off.

baggies37

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
has anyone sucessfully returned an item and if so to which address?

theres this one on the website
Electroponents Ltd
60 Windsor Avenue
London
SW19 2RR

they are really stalling at moment say they need authorisation to return item.

i note with interest they have a 7 day return policy so i guess theyre going to try to screw me that way.

Wynwintv

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
In the same boat here and have been waiting since 5th of Jan for my cpu. They hardly reply.

But now I have taken steps incase my item don't show up to improve the chances of getting my money back.

- told the bank, even though I have to wait 15 working days
- contacted action fraud, hole they can get involved.
- and complained to these - http://www.econsumer.gov/english/resolve/overview.shtm. The more people that complain the better chance of shutting them down.

agentzigzag

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015

agentzigzag

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
Hi YarManYak
I ordered a samung smart tv off these guys on xmas night it took untill 13th to get here (N Ireland) which is not bad i guess especially as it was free. Tv was exactly as described on website and over 100 pounds less then currys and argos. I would use again.

Wynwintv

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
UPDATE
After waiting 18 days, with really bad or no communication with the company.

Contacting everyone possible spamming them with continues emails FINALLY out of nowhere a ups delivery man knocks on my door with my cpu!

Now I know I will NEVER use this company again I rather pay more and get the support and reinsurance other companies like Amazon and Ebay give. I hope you all get what you bought

baggies37

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
ive been trying to return my tv for days now....box arrived damaged yet to check if product damaged....put several reminders on ticket....nothing

baggies37

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
right.

has anyone successfully returned a product to them.

i notice laughably that they require an invoice to return yet never arrived with any paperwork, box damaged and yet i would get charged 10% if i refused delivery.

#catch22

Wynwintv

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
Not sure if this is of any use to you guys.

But here's the address labeled

Eollis Lab
Zac De Maisonneuve
Avenue De La Commune De Paris
91226 Bretigny Sur Orge Cadex
FRANCE
0892 700 104

Status
Not open for further replies.