Anyone running a Dell XPS 4100

Curious if any one is still running an old Dell 4100 system. If so, I
would like to hear the upgrades you made to it over the years. I started
out with a Dell XPS D266 (LX MB). Along the way I popped in a Dell 4100
BX MB back when Dell was unloading them for under $100.00
Regards
Steve C.

I have a 4100 that my son has at college - along with his D8300 and Inspiron
notebook.

He has added memory & various internal as well as external hard drives. He
added USB 2 card. He has installed and uninstalled Linux. I'm sure there are
other things.

I lost track.

<lobotomy@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Curious if any one is still running an old Dell 4100 system. If so, I
> would like to hear the upgrades you made to it over the years. I started
> out with a Dell XPS D266 (LX MB). Along the way I popped in a Dell 4100
> BX MB back when Dell was unloading them for under $100.00
> Regards
> Steve C.

Joe,
The 4100 BX based MB has USB ports. On your system, your son added a
USB-2 card. What does this card do?
I thought to run USB, all you needed was the proper generation of
Windows. I know 95b offered first gen. USB support, and was upgraded in
Win98. What Windows release afterwards took USB to where it is now?
Thanks
Steve C

Well, the 4100 motherboard would have USB1.1 ports, not USB2 ports. If he's
running something like an external hard disk, USB1.1 is worthless.

Tom
> Joe,
> The 4100 BX based MB has USB ports. On your system, your son added a
> USB-2 card. What does this card do?
> I thought to run USB, all you needed was the proper generation of
> Windows. I know 95b offered first gen. USB support, and was upgraded in
> Win98. What Windows release afterwards took USB to where it is now?
> Thanks
> Steve C

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

<lobotomy@webtv.net> wrote in message news:13034-4155DE48-701@storefull-3175.bay.webtv.net...
> Curious if any one is still running an old Dell 4100 system. If so, I
> would like to hear the upgrades you made to it over the years.

I have one... PIII 1GHz, 512MB RAM, 20GB HD, TNT2 M64,
CDROM, DVDROM, V.92 modem, ethernet card, running XP Pro.
The upgrades were 256MB RAM, modem, NIC, DVD drive, and
XP. I'm sure quite a few people upgraded their video card and/or
hard drive, but I didn't need to.

FWIW, the box has about 20000 hours on it, and the only things
that wore out and needed to be replaced were the mouse and
keyboard.

I am currently running three of them - all 1GHZ. Two are used for embedded
software development running XP professional and Linux while the third is
used as a server running W2K Server and has a Promise ATA100 RAID setup with
2x60MB disks - a third 60MB disk is used as the system disk. An IDE Travan
tape backup unit is also fitted.

The two used for development run twin monitors and have 512MB SDRAM and
STM-1/OC3 optical cards installed.

All these machines were bought cheaply off eBay - one as a barebones machine
with just the case, PSU and motherboard. They all run 1503FP or
1701FP/1702FP monitors.

My father also uses a 1GHZ unit as his home computer. He has a ADSL PCI card
fitted.

I've had no issues with any of these machines - the server has run
continuously for over a year now.

"David J Edgar" <david@cd-yacht.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am currently running three of them - all 1GHZ. Two are used for embedded
> software development running XP professional and Linux while the third is
> used as a server running W2K Server and has a Promise ATA100 RAID setup
> with
> 2x60MB disks - a third 60MB disk is used as the system disk. An IDE Travan
> tape backup unit is also fitted.
>
> The two used for development run twin monitors and have 512MB SDRAM and
> STM-1/OC3 optical cards installed.
>
> All these machines were bought cheaply off eBay - one as a barebones
> machine
> with just the case, PSU and motherboard. They all run 1503FP or
> 1701FP/1702FP monitors.
>
> My father also uses a 1GHZ unit as his home computer. He has a ADSL PCI
> card
> fitted.
>
> I've had no issues with any of these machines - the server has run
> continuously for over a year now.

<snip>

Still have a 4100 here. Standard setup, only mods were adding a GeF3 Ti 200
AGP card and maxing out the RAM at 512mb - along with changing the OS from
WinMe to Windows XP Pro.

Solid as a rock.

Stew

I still have one running perfectly. Installed XP. No hardware mods.

<lobotomy@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Curious if any one is still running an old Dell 4100 system. If so, I
> would like to hear the upgrades you made to it over the years. I started
> out with a Dell XPS D266 (LX MB). Along the way I popped in a Dell 4100
> BX MB back when Dell was unloading them for under $100.00
> Regards
> Steve C.

I just installed XP on a friends 4100 (third 4100 system I have installed XP
on) and it ran like a charm. I am impressed by the stability of the 4100. It
took XP and the SP2 pack and ran like a charm. One word of advice for the
OP. Be sure to have at least 256 MB of RAM and preferably more. XP just
loves memory for smooth operation.

Regards,
John O.

>I still have one running perfectly. Installed XP. No hardware mods.
>
> <lobotomy@webtv.net> wrote in message
>> Curious if any one is still running an old Dell 4100 system. If so, I
>> would like to hear the upgrades you made to it over the years. I started
>> out with a Dell XPS D266 (LX MB). Along the way I popped in a Dell 4100
>> BX MB back when Dell was unloading them for under $100.00
>> Regards
>> Steve C.

Got one with the following:

Processor: Intel Pentium 3 - 1000 mhz - 32 kb Primary Cache, 256 kb
Secondary Cache

MotherBoard: Intel Corporation D815EEA AAA10383-404

BIOS ROM ID: A10 (9/17/01)

Bus Clock: 133 mhz

Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA On-board IDE Controller

**512 RAM: (2) 256 SDRAM PC-133

**ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 7500 64 MB DDR 4X AGP Video/TV Card

Dell Trinitron Video Monitor Model P780

**Logitech Z-3 speakers with subwoofer
Creative Lab microphone w/boom

**Western Digital 40 gig 7200 rpm HD (C: & I:) On-board IDE Controller:
Primary Master

**(2 Partitions) 20 gig Primary Basic Active System (C:) & 20 gig Primary
Basic (I:)

**Western Digital 120 gig 7200 rpm HD (G:) CMD PCI IDE Controller: Secondary
Master

NEC 16x DVD ROM 5800a (F:) On-board IDE Controller: Secondary Master

Iomega ZIP 250 ATAPI (D:) On-board IDE Controller: Secondary Slave

**Plextor 16x10x40 CD-RW (E:) CMD PCI IDE Controller: Primary Single

**Sandisk 8-1 Multi Flash Card Reader SDDR-88 (H:,J:,K:,L:) USB2 Controlled

Sound Blaster Live Value Digital PCI Sound Card (WDM) (PCI Slot 4)

**ADS Pyro 1394 Firewire PCI Card with 3 ports (PCI Slot 3)

**CMD Ultra ATA/IDE PCI Controller Model 0649 (PCI Slot 2)

**Adaptec PCI 4-port USB2 Adapter Model AUA-4000A (PCI Slot 1)

Epson C80 Inkjet Printer: USB Hub Controlled

HP LaserJet IIP Printer: LPT1 Parallel Port Controlled

**USR Robotics Sportster 56K External Fax/Modem Model 0459: Com Port 1

**Stratitec USB 4 port Hub - external powered: On-board USB Port

Umax Astra 3400 600x1200 DPI Scanner: USB Controlled: On-board USB Port

**USB Intel Pocket Concert cable: USB HUB Controlled

**Microsoft USB Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer: USB HUB Controlled

**Intel Pocket Concert Audio Player: p/n A44754-003 s/n A128A1F003989 USB
Port

**OS Windows XP (installed 11/20/01) SP1 (installed 10/16/02)

Mods proceeded by **

Runs solid since March 01