[SOLVED] Anyway to find out the Key Code to my Windows Desktop?

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
I am purchasing a new Desktop PC for Video Editing and I don't have access to my current Windows 10 Pro license key code the current PC I'm using I bought used. I would rather have a fresh install of Windows 10 that comes with the new PC I'm buying but that computer comes with Windows 10 Home and I prefer the Pro version. Anyway to extract the license key code from my current Desktop and apply to the new computer when I get it so I can get Windows 10 Pro?

Solution
The Dell OS install is unlikely to actually boot up in the new hardware.
The Dell Pro license WILL unactivate itself in the new hardware, even if it did boot up.

You're buying a whole new PC.
Either get Pro from them preinstalled, or buy your own valid Pro license.
Either way, that is a small percentage of the total budget for the new system.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
OEM windows keys work on one PC only and are not transferable to another hardware.

However , If you have the FULL version of win 10 pro on your old machine . then you can use it on another machine.

Call Microsoft and they will help you do it.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Nope. Full version = retail is what you get from buying Windows 10 boxed and then installing it. This can be removed from the computer and applied to another as much as you like as long as only one PC has the key active.

OEM keys is what you get with a PC preinstalled, or if you upgraded from Windows 7/8/.8.1. This type of key is tied down to the first computer they are used on and can't be transferred, only installing on the same PC is allowed.

To know which is which, run an administrator command prompt (search "cmd" and right click->run as administrator) and run:
slmgr -dli

This will pop up a small window with your Windows license's information. The "** channel" section is what you look for. "OEM_DM" is OEM, RETAIL is Retail.

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
Nope. Full version = retail is what you get from buying Windows 10 boxed and then installing it. This can be removed from the computer and applied to another as much as you like as long as only one PC has the key active.

OEM keys is what you get with a PC preinstalled, or if you upgraded from Windows 7/8/.8.1. This type of key is tied down to the first computer they are used on and can't be transferred, only installing on the same PC is allowed.

To know which is which, run an administrator command prompt (search "cmd" and right click->run as administrator) and run:
slmgr -dli

This will pop up a small window with your Windows license's information. The "** channel" section is what you look for. "OEM_DM" is OEM, RETAIL is Retail.

That's weird, It popped up a bunch of stuff but nothing in regards to a channel section. EDIT: Just got it to do what I wanted. Must have entered something wrong before. It says OEM DM. Does that mean I can or can't transfer it to a new system?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I am purchasing a new Desktop PC for Video Editing and I don't have access to my current Windows 10 Pro license key code the current PC I'm using I bought used. I would rather have a fresh install of Windows 10 that comes with the new PC I'm buying but that computer comes with Windows 10 Home and I prefer the Pro version. Anyway to extract the license key code from my current Desktop and apply to the new computer when I get it so I can get Windows 10 Pro?
Used PC.
Did the seller give you, as required, the actual license key and COA?
No.

Did you, as a new user of a previously used system, do a full wipe and reinstall?
No.

(n)

Do you have any idea where this Win 10 license came from? Was it preinstalled? Is this a Dell/HP/Acer?
Or something else?

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
Used PC.
Did the seller give you, as required, the actual license key and COA?
No.

Did you, as a new user of a previously used system, do a full wipe and reinstall?
No.

(n)

Do you have any idea where this Win 10 license came from? Was it preinstalled? Is this a Dell/HP/Acer?
Or something else?
It's a dell computer I just found out it's a OEM DM via the command prompt window

USAFRet

Titan
So your new system comes with Win 10 Home, and you want Pro.
Why?

Solution A:
Sell your current system, and use those funds to buy an actual new valid Win 10 Pro license.

Solution B:
Buy a valid WIn 10 Pro license

Solution C:
Why Pro vs Home?

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
So your new system comes with Win 10 Home, and you want Pro.
Why?

Solution A:
Sell your current system, and use those funds to buy an actual new valid Win 10 Pro license.

Solution B:
Buy a valid WIn 10 Pro license

Solution C:
Why Pro vs Home?

Pro works better for the video editing apps I use and Adobe etc recommends Pro. I know I can buy a windows 10 license but I have apps already installed on my current system. I can't just put my current OS drive into the new computer I buy?

USAFRet

Titan
Pro works better for the video editing apps I use and Adobe etc recommends Pro. I know I can buy a windows 10 license but I have apps already installed on my current system. I can't just put my current OS drive into the new computer I buy?
haha....no. And thats a whole other consideration, beyond the Home v Pro license thing.
Moving that drive from a Dell into your new system is highly unlikely to actually work.

USAFRet

Titan
The Dell Pro license WILL unactivate itself in the new hardware, even if it did boot up.

Solution

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017

Thanks for you help.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
You still need the OEM key for your DELL win 10 pro machine in case of a virus hitting it or the harddisk fails.

This program will help you obtain the win10 pro key from your dell .

run it and write down the key and save it.

But as I said , it will not activate on any new hardware.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
There is one underbelt tactic you can use if you decide to buy a Windows 10 license, you can buy a retail Windows 7/8/8.1 Pro license and use it to upgrade to Windows 10. This would normally end in 2016 but I never heard it actually close, and I have a couple of devices upgraded in 2019 that way. But know that the retail key will become an OEM in this upgrade process.