AOC G2460PQU 144hz not working

Pi-Face

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
Hello everyone, thanks for checking out my issue and also in advance for any help!

I just bought an AOC G2460PQU monitor (144hz, 1ms, 1080p), i'm connecting it to my PC through a Dual Link DVI-D cable (new), however, when i select the 144hz option from the Nvidia control panel, or any windows menu, the screen will go black for a few seconds, then it will go back to 60hz. The following is my system:

H81M-DS2
i3-4130
MSI GTX 750 Ti (I'm plugging the DVI cable to the graphics card as it should be, also it's the only DVI-DL socket in my entire system, also it doesn't have DisplayPort socket, so Dual Link DVI-D is my only option)
8GB DDR3 @1333 RAM
64bit Windows 10 Pro (Fully updated)

I know there are a lot of threads like this, but any of the solutions helped me to fix this problem. I've already tried:

-Uninstalling and then re-installing both Nvidia and monitor drivers.

-Used the HDMI cable that comes with the monitor, it only allows 60hz or 59hz.

-Tried making a custom resolution through the Nvidia control panel, max it can achieve is 65hz in progressive but however it can reach up to 114hz in interlaced but the image will look blurry (but very fluid).

-Checked windows updates, and the built-in windows driver update manager with the monitor's driver.

-Tried the high refresh rate with lower resolutions, exact same result as with 1080p.

-Tried to change the refresh rate from Windows desktop right click>display settings>advanced display settings>display adapter properties>adapter and monitor tabs, exact same result.

-Forced CS:GO to run at 144hz with Steam launch options, screen went black but the game was there, because i could hear the music and the sound when hovering over the main menu's options, i used alt+tab to go back to the desktop running at 60hz and the image came back.

-Looked at the options menu of the monitor (little buttons under the screen), and there is no option to change the refresh rate, it only shows that the vertical rate is 60hz and horizontal rate is 68KHz, yes, kilohertz.

I really like the monitor, especially the response time, i can feel the difference when aiming or just when i'm in the desktop, but the main reason i bought this monitor is 144hz. And before someone comes to say "why so expensive monitor yet very weak pc you cannot run games 1080p 144fps etc etc etc". I just wanted the 144hz for LoL and CS:GO as they're my main games and i'm not into stuff like DOOM or BF1, for other games i casually play i only wanted the 1080p res and the response time. I know, it's not the best PC for gaming at all, and i'l upgrade it asap, but as those two games give me perfect framerates, and i just wanted a better experience/more advantage for them, so i went for this monitor.

Again, thanks for reading all this stuff and for further help.

Solution

Those adapters don't work in both directions. They are DisplayPort to DVI adapters not DVI to DisplayPort adapters. Besides, if his DVI cables aren't letting him get 144Hz directly I don't think an adapter that still comes out of the GPU's DVI port would work any better.

Pi-Face

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016

As i mentioned before, my 750 Ti has no DP socket, so i cannot test it that way. I could try and find someone with a better PC and try it out, but most my friends either have way worse PC's than mine, or are console gamers.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
dvi will only do 120/144 over dual link. check the cable and make sure its the right one...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#/media/File:DVI_Connector_Types.svg

is the panel set to 6bit? only that supports 144, at 8bit color it drops to 60Hz.
go to the nv panel and check, but as far as i can tell, that only shows when i connect with DP, not when i use DVI.

is there a driver that came with the moni?
if spec on the sticker says 60, 144 might only be a certain mode/overclocked that only works with the driver.

Pi-Face

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016

It is exactly this cable, dual link dvi-d: https://www.google.com/search?q=Dual+link+dvi-d&biw=1920&bih=950&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGyPj5qoTRAhXL7SYKHeRtCQEQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=_WujciyXZ6kUJM%3A
As long as i know, the only 2 cables capable of 144hz are Displayport and Dual link DVI-D. Also, i can only choose 32bit color. There was a driver, yes, and the instruction manual said that after instalation and restart, the monitor would set automatically to the highest resolution and refresh rate, thing that didn't gave me the 144hz. The monitor had a sticker with "144hz" so it's supposed to be possible.

Pi-Face

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016

Well, i tried to look at windows 10 options, only 32 bit color, can't even make a custom resolution with a lower color depth than that, and how do you know that 144hz can only work with those color levels? i tried to use them on games but there is not even an option for that. Now i'm more confused than before, i have less hair now.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
im not talking about 16/24/32bit color in windows, its about the color depth of the panel/screen.

pls read this first:
http://www.zero-friction.net/2016/05/24/tech-talk-8-bit-vs-10-bit-color-do-we-need-a-billion-colors/
yours need to be set to 6bit (panel can do 8) to support +60Hz.

at least when connected thru DP, there is a second (color bit) option in nv panel.
cant tell how your supposed to switch that, if its connected via dvi.
i dont get that option when im using dvi on mine, nor can i run it above 60Hz.

even dual link only supports 85Hz/120Hz for 1080p anyway...

so either get an adapter, or might wanna call aoc support/check in their forum, might be quicker...

king3pj

Distinguished
Looks like MSI chose to put a VGA port on their 750 Ti cards instead of a DisplayPort. That's rough luck. I just did some checking on Amazon and every single 750 Ti I checked from every brand had DisplayPort except for all the MSI models and one of the Asus models.

Pi-Face

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016

Oh well, not even Mr. Google has a fix for this anywhere, so it seems like i'l have to wait untill i upgrade my whole PC before i can enjoy that juicy refresh rate. My psu is not that nice for upgrading, my motherboard is 1150 chipset so 6th or 7th gen cpus are a no-no, my ram is ddr3. Holy crap, it will end up being a full new PC. Well, i just hope the monitor is still alive when that moment comes. But well, at least i can play with 1ms, compared to the old tv's 20ish, it's a big gap of a difference, still no regret on this monitor. Thanks for the advice! Time for an extreme savings for a new PC montage *Rocky theme intensifies*

king3pj

Distinguished

I don't think a DisplayPort to DVI adapter is going to help him since he doesn't have DisplayPort on his GPU.

king3pj

Distinguished

Those adapters don't work in both directions. They are DisplayPort to DVI adapters not DVI to DisplayPort adapters. Besides, if his DVI cables aren't letting him get 144Hz directly I don't think an adapter that still comes out of the GPU's DVI port would work any better.

Solution

Pi-Face

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016

I finally got it! went to the store i got the screen from, and tested it there. The cable i was using was fake, just a dvi with some extra pins that weren't connected to anything insid, it fitted the port, but was just doing the function of single link dvi. Got a certified one now, and it's working great! if anybody else has this problem, just check out your cable, buy it from a reputable place, the one i got is from Cable Matters tho, that's the one that worked for me. Thanks for the answers, peace! (PD: Get a 144hz monitor, your gaming experience for comp games will improve 1000%, it's absolutely nuts!)