Question Aorus Pro x570 audio popping/crackle issue

Jan 10, 2020
I recently bought a Gigabyte Aorus Pro x570 along with RTX 2080 Super and Ryzen 9 3900x, and I've been having problems with inconsistently consistent audio popping. Now I'm trying to figure out if the issue is with the mother or something else before making an RMA. Problem is the same in the rear motherboard audio jack as well as the case front jack.

Essentially, I've been getting popping sounds during audio (Youtube, VLC, Musicbee, etc), which aren't incredibly loud but still noticeable with headphones. In songs especially during more quiet moments. And the pops even come after the audio has been paused as well. For example, if I pause a Youtube video and the audio cuts out and is no longer there, maybe a second later there's a pop. And that happens usually every time I pause a video. The pops don't always show up every single song or video, but if I watch something for a while like say a few minutes, they seem to show up and get worse and worse in time.

And the strangest part about this is that the problem seems to have something to do with the rendering, in that the pops attach themselves to specific spots during playback. Here's a hypothetical example:

1. I watch a 1 minute YT video = pops appear on seconds 0:40 and 0:45 and 0:52
  2. I scroll back and play the video again = same exact pops once again appear at seconds 0:40 and 0:45 and 0:52
  3. I scroll back and record my desktop with the Nvidia geforce recorder as I watch the video again and then play it on VLC = same pops appear once again at the same times
  4. I unplug my headphones from the mother and plug them in an external audio card and play the video on VLC = no pops at all
  5. I plug my headphones back in the mother and play the video on VLC = the same pops are no longer there but now appear at new places
  6. Also, I'm pretty sure that if I CTRL+F5 the video and reload it, the pops are no longer there in the same places
I've been trying to explain this to my friends but they just think I'm crazy (and I guess at this point we can consider that as a possible reason as well).

I've tried everything I can to combat this issue -- try different realtek drivers, change windows settings, reset bios settings -- but nothing seems to work. The only thing that removed the problem was using my friend's external Asus audio card. And while I could just buy my own external audio card, somehow that seems stupid and letting the problem lie.

Does anybody have any clue as to what could be going on? Thanks very much for reading, and please feel free to ask me more specific questions.

My PC:
Aorus Pro x570
RTX 2080 Super Gaming Trio
Ryzen 9 3900x
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 3200
Corsair RM850

Jan 10, 2020
Thanks for the responses.

Tried cranking up the volume without any luck -- no crackling without first playing audio. Only overclock I've done is the XPM profile or whatever to get my RAM up to 3200 -- tried resetting that too but no luck.

I'll have to check the voltages though.

PackingSlip

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Did you ever find a solution. I have the same issue with a Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WiFi. Pops will often happen when you ALT+TAB to other apps, or you click a hyperlink on a web page while an MP3 is playing in the background.

Jan 10, 2020
Did you ever find a solution. I have the same issue with a Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WiFi. Pops will often happen when you ALT+TAB to other apps, or you click a hyperlink on a web page while an MP3 is playing in the background.

No. I tested the problem by momentarily buying a new unit of the same mobo and RAM and CPU, but none of them fixed the issue. There is a chance it's some "feature" in this mobo? I didn't test a new power or GPU though.

The only fix seems to be to buy a separate audio card.