Question Aorus Z390 Elite won't recognize my old HDD after new SSD installed

Nov 14, 2020
Hi an amateur here so please bare with me.

I was using WD-SSD500GB (SATA) along with HDD1TB and they're working fine. Today I installed a new WD-SSD500GB (NVMe) and my PC won't recognize the HDD anymore. It's not appear in File Explorer, Device Manager, and Disk Management. I only have two partitions now which both are SSD.

I tried my best and searched the manual and I think it's something to do with the slots? This is the picture from the manual:

https://ibb.co/S6Dcm7x

I have no idea what to make of it or even if it's the issue but I think it's worth putting the picture here.

Thank you very much in advance.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Likely thisis as simple as just moving the existing SATA drive to a different port on the motherboard.
Frequently, one or more SATA ports are disabled when using something in the M.2 port (your new NVMe drive)

In your user manual, Section 1-7 gives you the allowable configurations, as outlined in your image.

Nov 14, 2020
Likely thisis as simple as just moving the existing SATA drive to a different port on the motherboard.
Frequently, one or more SATA ports are disabled when using something in the M.2 port (your new NVMe drive)

In your user manual, Section 1-7 gives you the allowable configurations, as outlined in your image.
I put my new NVMe on slot #7 but it's written M2A/M2M in the manual. How do I know which table I look to? Thanks

This is the page: https://ibb.co/CBY6f6d

Nov 14, 2020
Ok so I actually put it on M2M slot. The HDD was plugged to SATA3_5 which was disabled. I switched to SATA_1 and SATA_3 and now they work!

Thank you guys for this.

PM. Is there a difference between M2M and M2A? I read somewhere that the speed is the same so I just went with the easiest one to install.

Ok so I actually put it on M2M slot. The HDD was plugged to SATA3_5 which was disabled. I switched to SATA_1 and SATA_3 and now they work!

Thank you guys for this.

PM. Is there a difference between M2M and M2A? I read somewhere that the speed is the same so I just went with the easiest one to install.
Apart from disabling different SATA ports there is no difference between the two. They both support PCIe and SATA NVMe.

1. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2A)
  2. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2M)
The M.2M cannot support 22110 size NVMe and that's it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS