Question APC UPS keeps losing connection

bohemianguitarguy

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
I have the APC 1500 Smart UPS with SmartConnect and the PowerChute Business Edition server edition 9.2 Build 604. Recently, the console started losing the connection. I have the UPS connected directly to my PC using the USB ports. It had been running fine and I could login to my UPS online interface and view the status and had setup my configuration to send notifications when there were any issues. The lost connection just started happening a few days ago. I saw multiple threads about this issue occurring and I've tried some various solutions offered online and nothing has worked. I've tried changing to different USB ports and that hasn't worked either as well as going to the Advanced Settings in Power Options and made sure the USB selective suspend setting is disabled. Nothing has worked.

This post identifies the same similar issue that I'm encountering: https://community.exchange.se.com/t5/APC-UPS-Data-Center-Backup/UPS-Communication-Lost/m-p/339555

I discovered that if I hold the "up arrow" and "down arrow" on my UPS for 6 to 7 seconds that it resets the port similar to the suggestion in the link above by using "mute" + "menu". This actually did re-establish the connection and showed my system to be operating normally and I could connect to my online GUI interface. However, the connection did disconnect again after about 10 to 15 minutes. I don't know if it is the cable or not? Has anyone experienced this issue and have suggestions on how to fix it?

Any suggestions on what to try or how to fix this issue would be appreciated.

bohemianguitarguy

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
Yes, I checked that and disabled it and it is still happening. It had been working fine for quite some time and just all the sudden started losing the connection. When I re-establish the connection it will stay connected anywhere from about 10 minutes to 45 minutes or so.

Yes, I checked that and disabled it and it is still happening. It had been working fine for quite some time and just all the sudden started losing the connection. When I re-establish the connection it will stay connected anywhere from about 10 minutes to 45 minutes or so.
Look in device manager if there is an entry for this device look at the properties there may be an option to turn off power.

Do the same for the usb controllers.